Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Getting started - 1000 Points Beginner Army

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Oshikai

Oshikai

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 107 posts
Hey there,

I recently decided to pick um some Wolves and finally get some 8th Edition Games going. 1000 Points are not much, but I rather start small and get the stuff actually painted for a change before expanding. I am no Tournament Player and Soup is out of the question for the Moment. While not the most competitive Player I do want my List to be solid.

I would be glad if you Guys could have a Look and give me some Pointers and general assessment.

I haven`t included  any Jump Packs because of the Points but the Models are magnetized and the Option is there.
Having to add a 6th Model for a combi Weapon does fell a tad limiting and I need to get used to it. 
Not sure if the SS on the Wolf Guard will be of much help, but then its only 5 Points. 

Thank you in advance :)

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Space Wolves) [48 PL, 997pts] ++

Trophies of Fenris (1 Relic)

+ HQ +

Rune Priest [6 PL, 105pts]: 2. Tempest's Wrath, Bolt pistol, Psychic hood, Runic axe
. The Armour of Russ: Relic of The Fang

Wolf Lord [5 PL, 110pts]: Saga of the Wolfkin, Storm shield, Thunder hammer, Warlord
. The Wulfen Stone: Relic of The Fang

+ Troops +

Grey Hunters [4 PL, 78pts]: 4x Chainsword
. Grey Hunter Pack Leader: Chainsword
. 3x Grey Hunter w/Bolt Pistol
. Grey Hunter with Special Weapon: Bolt Pistol, Plasma gun

Grey Hunters [4 PL, 78pts]: 4x Chainsword

Grey Hunters [6 PL, 114pts]: 4x Chainsword
. Wolf Guard Pack Leader: Combi-plasma, Storm shield

+ Heavy Support +

Long Fangs [8 PL, 170pts]
. Long Fang: Lascannon
. Long Fang Pack Leader: Boltgun and Bolt Pistol, Chainsword

+ Dedicated Transport +

Razorback [5 PL, 114pts]: Twin assault cannon

My Vlka Fenryka

gallery_120877_15674_105.png gallery_120877_15674_1752.pnggallery_120877_15674_1297.png

Kasper_Hawser

Kasper_Hawser

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,077 posts
  • Faction: Vlka Fenryka

Excellent and solid, looks like you did most of your research. Only risk is the Long Fangs full of Lascannons, but you can always hide on the ground floor and then pop out on the next floor and use Keen Senses to negate shooting penalties and Wolf's eye to reroll wounds.

Give it a go, frankly my 2000 points looks like your list but twice the size, with a Stormfang/wolf replacing 2 Razorbacks.

• Oshikai likes this

"The 6th Legion has a reputation." said Bear.
"All the Legions Astartes have reputations," replied Hawser.
"Not like ours," said Ogvai "We are known for our ferocity. We are thought to be feral and undisciplined. Even brother Legions consider us to be wild and bestial."
"And you're not ?" asked Hawser.
"If we need to be," said Ogvai. "but if that was our natural state, we'd all be dead by now."
He leaned down towards Hawser like a parent addressing a child.
"It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous" he said.

Excerpt from "Prospero Burns" by Dan Abnett

Oshikai

Oshikai

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 107 posts

Thanks a bunch Kasper, appreciate your  Feedback biggrin.png .

I am little bit unsure where to go after that for 1500 Points. I thought about adding a stormwolf with some Wulfen, but that hard to fit into 1500. I am not gunning for a 2nd Battalion right away because I would like to paint ans assemble different Toys rather than doubling up on same Things. Little bit lost in that regard. Not a fan of  theThunderwolf Cavalry Sculpts. Love Dreadnoughts, but I am not sure if they are not a bit too slow to keep up with the Razorbacks (Not running Bjorn at low point levels for lore reasons). Maybe Murdefang? Just for :cusss and giggles. Like I said, a tad Lost after the initial 1000 Points. 

My Vlka Fenryka

gallery_120877_15674_105.png gallery_120877_15674_1752.pnggallery_120877_15674_1297.png

PeteySödes

PeteySödes

++ FERRARII CONQUISITOR ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,484 posts

Thanks a bunch Kasper, appreciate your  Feedback biggrin.png .

I am little bit unsure where to go after that for 1500 Points. I thought about adding a stormwolf with some Wulfen, but that hard to fit into 1500. I am not gunning for a 2nd Battalion right away because I would like to paint ans assemble different Toys rather than doubling up on same Things. Little bit lost in that regard. Not a fan of  theThunderwolf Cavalry Sculpts. Love Dreadnoughts, but I am not sure if they are not a bit too slow to keep up with the Razorbacks (Not running Bjorn at low point levels for lore reasons). Maybe Murdefang? Just for :cusss and giggles. Like I said, a tad Lost after the initial 1000 Points. 

Either dread type would keep up pretty well with a razorback and certainly Wulfen dreads. Since you'll likely be advancing and the razors are nessarily B-lining to the front as fast a possible with those TLAC, you should be fine.

Dreads also give a great synergy with them IMO since they rquire the same type of weapons to bring down but if you slap a shield on them they can waste those shots. Lots of people will shoots the dreads because the'yre scary.

As for expansion, wulfen are a great choice as you say and if you stick them in a rhino (turretless RB since youll have them) they arent nearly as pricey as the Stormwolf.

• Oshikai likes this

Shas Oh Dear

Shas Oh Dear

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 141 posts
Wulfen can only ride in gunships and landraiders and they really need to if you want them to live for more than 2 turns.
  • PeteySödes and Oshikai like this

jbickb

jbickb

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,995 posts
They can also be outflanked and their built in charge re roll makes the a good choice for that so there's no actual need for a transport. Also the gunship is a pretty great investment so thats no exactly a negative.
  • Oshikai likes this
Never Mistake:
My Silence for Ignorance
My Calmness for Acceptance
My Kindness for Weakness

PeteySödes

PeteySödes

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,484 posts

Wulfen can only ride in gunships and landraiders and they really need to if you want them to live for more than 2 turns.

Hah derp I knew that, more coffee for me....

That said, outflanking them is still a solid economical choice.

• Oshikai likes this

Oshikai

Oshikai

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 107 posts

Thank you Guys for taking the Time and brainstorming with me.

I really like the Idea about throwing in the Dreads after FearPeteySodes Points, the Wulfen Dreads look suprisingly cheap. Left room for the Jump Packs as well and a bit of Toys for the Grey Hunters. From what I gathered cheap Grey hunters seem to function well for people, but right now its a bit of rule of cool with them for me. 

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Space Wolves) [77 PL, 1497pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Trophies of Fenris (1 Relic)

+ HQ +

Rune Priest [7 PL, 129pts]: 2. Tempest's Wrath, Bolt pistol, Jump Packs, Psychic hood, Runic axe
. The Armour of Russ: Relic of The Fang

Wolf Lord [6 PL, 129pts]: Jump Packs, Saga of the Wolfkin, Storm shield, Thunder hammer, Warlord
. The Wulfen Stone: Relic of The Fang

+ Troops +

Grey Hunters [4 PL, 85pts]: 4x Chainsword
. 2x Grey Hunter w/Bolt Pistol
. Grey Hunter w/Plasma Pistol: Plasma pistol

+ Elites +

Murderfang [9 PL, 170pts]

Wulfen Dreadnought [8 PL, 122pts]: Fenrisian great axe
. Blizzard Shield: Storm bolter

Wulfen Dreadnought [8 PL, 122pts]: Fenrisian great axe
. Blizzard Shield: Storm bolter

+ Heavy Support +

Long Fangs [8 PL, 170pts]
. Long Fang Pack Leader: Boltgun and Bolt Pistol, Chainsword

+ Dedicated Transport +

My Vlka Fenryka

Kasper_Hawser

Kasper_Hawser

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,077 posts
  • Faction: Vlka Fenryka

Not a fan of  theThunderwolf Cavalry Sculpts. 

Yes! Another Space Wolf player who doesn't like TWC! Or at least the sculpts. smile.png Sorry, in all seriousness, I had horrible luck with my TWC until the point I really hated just looking at them since start of 6th edition (meaning I can never make my 3++ saves). My playstyle for 3 years now has been almost devoid of any oversized canines now, though I did experiment and had some success with what I called the Barkstar before (big Fen wolves blob with Wolf Priest making them fearless back in 6/7 ed). Also the damn models are so flimsy, the rider kept breaking off his saddle and the wolf just can't stick to the damn base due to the EXTREMELY SMALL area both stick to the wolf/base.

Anyway regarding your second list, looks very solid, 3 Razorbacks, 2 Wulfen Dreads and Murderfang breathing down his throat and drowning him in target saturation. At least I hope so. In my MSU lists so far, even if I go second, the most my opponent has been able to break in one turn of shooting is 2 razorbacks. Meaning even with 3 Dev squads, he shouldn't be able to take down more than 2 a turn. 

Also i still think you should get a second Long Fang squad, but that's just me. It'll mean taking either murderfang or a Wulfen Dreadnought to get one, but that's just my style, I never leave Long Fangs at home or alone. Also with your existing squad, maybe replace one Lascannon with a Missile Launcher, just in case your opponent brings a fly unit/machine and you can use Flakk Missile on it.

One last comment, if you want to save on points further, let the Wolf Lord be without a Storm shield. But i think you should, somehow I can never make my 4++.

One last last comment: DO NOT FIGHT CASTELLAN KNIGHTS WITH THIS! Now THAT CAN wipe out 3-5 T7 units in one shooting phase. And if a guy brings one of those against your list for a "Friendly" game, BAN HIM FROM PLAYING WITH YOU.

Edited by Kasper_Hawser, 02 November 2018 - 02:09 AM.

• Oshikai likes this

"The 6th Legion has a reputation." said Bear.
"All the Legions Astartes have reputations," replied Hawser.
"Not like ours," said Ogvai "We are known for our ferocity. We are thought to be feral and undisciplined. Even brother Legions consider us to be wild and bestial."
"And you're not ?" asked Hawser.
"If we need to be," said Ogvai. "but if that was our natural state, we'd all be dead by now."
He leaned down towards Hawser like a parent addressing a child.
"It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous" he said.

Excerpt from "Prospero Burns" by Dan Abnett

Oshikai

Oshikai

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 107 posts

Thank you kindly Guys,

I see what you mean about the 2nd Long Fang Squad. Its similar to the Imperial Fist Lists I came up which allways included 2 Devastator Squads.

I eventually replaced one with a Predator just for painting sake, but I am not sure if that would be a reasonable route here since Long Fangs look superior to Devastators.

Anyone experiences with a Predator instead Longfangs? Would give me another toughness 7 Vehicle and lessen the drain on CP for all those Long Fang Buffs.

Also: I actually started a painting Thread over in the Works in Progress Corner for anyone interested:

http://www.bolterand...y-space-wolves/

My Vlka Fenryka

Blackraw

Blackraw

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 23 posts

Thank you kindly Guys,

I see what you mean about the 2nd Long Fang Squad. Its similar to the Imperial Fist Lists I came up which allways included 2 Devastator Squads.

I eventually replaced one with a Predator just for painting sake, but I am not sure if that would be a reasonable route here since Long Fangs look superior to Devastators.

Anyone experiences with a Predator instead Longfangs? Would give me another toughness 7 Vehicle and lessen the drain on CP for all those Long Fang Buffs.

Also: I actually started a painting Thread over in the Works in Progress Corner for anyone interested:

http://www.bolterand...y-space-wolves/

After half a year break I came back with some similar ideas for my new lists (though I aim to 1500-2000, so a little bit expanded). So I can share some ideas that I had whilst working on my lists.

Firstly, as mentioned above, you have some top picks, taking LF as heavy support, outfitting both HQ in most efficient way, getting TLACs as good dakka source etc.
However, to be honest, I find this list (safe for HQs) to lack some wolfy features. Apart from WL, very few melee potential, and our chapter tactics, two Relics and Saga that you have picked - all are melee focused. Also your least seems to lack mobility. There are three transports to deliver units on start, however after that - it will be hard to play reactive to enemy actions/deployment and objectives. There are no DS units, no Thunderwolf/Jump Packs units for harassment. You will not be able to outshoot dedicated shooting army, so you need to turn on some wolf cunning, so I think getting a little bit more melee will make the gameplay more fun and synergised with codex.

1) LF v. Predator

I thought about it, and found LF superior in 90% situations. However, I bought Predator last week since I like Rhino platform a lot and I just want a tank in my army. So whilst Land Raider is a big investment which requires you to adjust the list to it, Predator seems much easier to fit in the list especially if you have planned to run two packs of LFs.

My thoughts on LF over Predator

+built-in re-roll of 1s
+easy to get cover
+can be placed in building to get a good LoS from upper floors
+have stratagems
+more customization (e.g. you can put 5 MM on outflank) and easier to adjust to the available points 
+can give you a lone wolf (imho, a decent application of this stratagem: you get a laser canon with full re-roll, a 3W MEQ who stays in cover at your deploy and now is character and can't be easily targeted)
+more defended against heavy arms (since you deploy them in backline, if someone wants to get rid of them turn 1, most likely he will have to shot a 36-48" weapon, which is often multi-damage and will be a little bit wasted. 5 LC + Pack leader will have 4 las canon with 1s re-roll after they sustain two unsaved hits from enemy las cannon; a predator can be theoretically killed with these two shots, or at least be degraded to 4 LC shots on 4+ with no re-rolls.

+more potent in melee (a squad of 5 has 11 attacks with 1s re-roll after it was charged by enemy)

- vulnerable 1W attacks spam and smite;

- less mobile (until Predator degrades)

So, unless a particular match-up calls for it, i can't find a reason to take Predator over single LF, but if you enjoy the model, taking both seems legit.

2) Wolf Lord - I run mine with the same setting though on Thunderwolf. I got it that you don't like the sculpts, but then I would at least consider going for jump pack.

First - you want it on board to give 1s re-roll to your 36 TLAC shots, and footslogging behind razorbacks is not the best idea.
Second - you want some mobility to be able to deliver your 6 TH attacks to the right target and to make sure you give re-roll and wullfen stone to the right units.

3) 1500 list with +3 dreads. Well I loved blizz-dread so much before nerf (it had 3++ and 5 attacks with no penalty, now 4++ and 4 attacks with -1 to hit). Even though the -1 to hit is partially neglected by Hunter Unleashed, that is still -20% damage output and +50% damage input. So now I am just going to run him as Wullfen Dread, it gets even less damage due to 3 WS and has no  6+++ and smoke launchers, but it seems legit given the price reduce, and he got some mobility advantage with 2" and re-roll to even out hit odds to reach the target.

I would rather run it with Claw+ Bliz shield, but I like how I painted the one I have from pre-codex and do not want to bother myself abandoning it for a new one.

As for Murderfang I made few calculations on its damage output comparing to the FenAxe on Wullfen Dread. I compared situations with re-roll to hit available and w/o, with Hunter Unleashed and w/o. Murderfang will on average give you +110-120% more damage on most of the targets, and even more on 6T targets. Plus more shooting damage. So I think I gonna try him out. But I saw battle reports with such a miserable death thereof due to absence of ++, so I think that pairing him up with one BlizzShield dread makes sense. However I doubt that 3 is a best option given that they can't DS/be transported.

Unless you have specific reason not to do it, I would get at least a 231 points Wullfen squad on 1500 game. They're both good as outflank (though need some luck with rolls) and in Stormwolf. Seems like many prefer to field 8-squad in a flyer or even 10 squad on outflank, I am not planning to do it, as putting almost 500 points in one kind of unit will make me sacrifice diversity which I do not want to do.

4) Troops. 

Don't you consider getting at least one pack of blood claws? They get more punch in melee, then GH, they get more benefit from power fist (3 attacks vs 2 attacks for the same price), and they get good synergy with Wullfen. TBH I can't imagine my list w/o them. I like them fluff-wise as it looks like a legit part of every army - if we do not bring the young wolves to the battlefield, where will they get battle-forged to become GH one day?:) I run mine w/o helmets and with no grey hair and they have bright pauldrons of red and yellow, so I really like to have them on the board. 

I put mine in Stormwolf with 5 Wullfen and Wolf priest to buff their hits (good to have for TH wullfen ), heal Wullfen and buff the 7 Ld both of them have (just in case).

Though I start to feel that 5 people pack looks too tactical, and not berserk enough. So gonna either change one TLAC Razorback for 10 BC Rhino or try getting 15 of them to Stormfang, sending Wullfen on hunt.

5) Primaris

I do not run them for lore reasons, though I have intercessors, hellblasters and inceptors (all are converted to look wolfy, and oh, I like the true-scale so much) and tried them before codex. They all are good in what they do. Intercessors - very good objective holder with improved survivability and greater range. I played hellblasters both footslogging in 1s re-roll bubble and outflank and they were always good. Inceptors were decent in putting some dakka right where you need it at reasonable cost.

I just feel uncomfortable about them fluffy-wised.

• Oshikai likes this

Oshikai

Oshikai

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 107 posts

@Blackraw, somehow I overlooked your reply in the Past. Thank you so much, a lot of interesting and good Thoughts. Thank you all so far.

After a Warhammer Underworlds related Distraction period I am back to 40k and more importantly painting.

Recently I got challenged by our resident Thousand Son Player. A lot of Trash Talk, personal insults, promisses of violence and similar pleasantries between each other where involved. Naturally that can`t stand. Problem is that I reckon that I bit off more than I can chew, since he is a rather experienced 8th Edition Player and I am ...well not. 

Still...after he insinuated that me and Primarch Russ share a common heritage as decendants of a dirty street dog I knew I had to let him have it  (all in good fun tho msn-wink.gif).

He trys to stay in Theme when it comes to playing his Thousand Sons, and while I heard a lot of bad stuff about that Codex I find the Lists he usually runs rather scary. Last 1500 Point List I saw from him:

Exalted Sorcerer on Disk

Daemon Prince of Tzeentch, Malefic Talons, Wings, Warpbolter?

Sorcerer of Tzeentch in Termi Armor, Combiplasma

9/10? Rubrics with Soulreaper

9/10? Rubrics with Soulreaper

11 Tzaangors

11 Tzaangors

5 /6 Scarab Occult Terminators, Missiles, Soulreaper or Flamer)

Hellforged Contemptor Butcher Cannon, Fist

Hellforged Contemptor, Butcher Cannon, Fist

thats...a lot of stuff, lots of Psychic Powers, staying Power I feel, screening and quite some fire Power with those Butchers and Soul Reapers.

So I need to come up with a 1500 Point List. 1000 of Those are allready set because of what I have assembled, partly painted and mentioned above:

Spoiler

For the additional 500 Points I am really uncertain, I know I allready asked in that regard, but I am struggling form a decision -

Variant 1:

• 6 Wulfen, 5 Thunderhammers and Shields
  • A 2nd Squad of 5 Long Fangs with 3 Lascannons and 1 Missile Laucher
  • Would leave me 21 Points and not sure what to do with them

Variant 2:

• Murderfang
  • Venerable Dreadnought with Shield and Axe
  • Wolf Guard Pack Leader with Combi Plasma

Variant 3:

• 5 Wulfen, 4 Thunderhammers and Shields
  • Stormwolf, Heavy Bolters

Variant 4:

• Relic Leviathan, Grav Flux Bombard, 3 Hunter Killers, Drill (Don`t have other Arms yet but could order them)

or something Else entirely? I do have the means to build nearly anything from the generic Marine Range and Space Wolves. 

I am missing the Wolf Guard Pack leaders, but Its hard to find room for them if you wanna include more of the beefier choices. 

Anyone some tactical Insight in fighting Thousand Sons and List like that above, haven`t played in ages.

I am sorry if this post feels like a repeat from allready had discussions, trying to wrap my head around everything.

Usually I do not mind loosing a game, but this is personal.. for all of us ;P...you don`t wanna know what else he called Russ

PS:
HBex8Ag.jpg?1

Thats the current color scheme I am going for, trying to get decent results with as little work as possible, one Basecoat, one recess wash, one or two Highlights. I really need to update my Thread in the Forge. or even better paint more to show ^^

Edited by Oshikai, 21 July 2019 - 11:36 AM.

My Vlka Fenryka

jbickb

jbickb

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,995 posts
Good morning Oshikai,

Firstly you have an excellent thousand point base for an army.

Personally I think part of your decision should be centered on what you would like your army to do in the future but it is the thousand sons so I agree with your need for a win lol.

That said, I think I like option 3. I think a stormwolf is a stellar unit versus his list. He will likely try to mortal wound it to death but if that takes the brunt of his psychic forces than the rest of your army doesn't.

Wulfen might have a hard time getting into combat because everyone knows they are scary so they focus them down. But if they get there they rock.

Some units to think about not mentioned in your options.

Bjorn the fell handed. This dude is a beast and with character protion you can screen him with the Razorbacks to get him into combat where he proceeds to murder everything. Better than murderfang in every way.

Njal Stormcaller. Very strong psyker choice. Pretty good at denial and can deepstrike if you take his terminator self.

This is just my 2 cents but hopefully it helps you crush the minions of Magnus and bring glory to Russ and the Allfather
  • Oshikai likes this
Never Mistake:
My Silence for Ignorance
My Kindness for Weakness

Oshikai

Oshikai

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 107 posts

Thank you kindly jbickb :).

I agree with you that I want/should paint Units that I will use in the Future. I am not entirely sure where the overall force is going, but eventually I want to have pretty much everything as my disposal biggrin.png .

So the overall Aim ist still an "All comers" Force not so much tailoring. I gather with 8th edition the concept of All commers has become harder, but I would still like trying. And for teh Time being I really want to stay pure Wolves. Not feeling the Soup.

I do think painting up some Wulfen sooner rather than later makes sense (As much as I am still troubled my the Models, alas I have a Box here which I could use), the Stormwolf is a great Unit as well.

The only misgivings I always had with both Units are that they are exceedingly expensive, and I wasn`t sure if I am dedicating too many Points at those choices at 1500 without having redundancy. But I have seen a sweet conversion for the Alpha Pattern Stormwolf I would be interested in. H

I love Bjorn, very much so. But I try to refrain from using him at smaller Games...since its Bjorn, we get that Guy out when censored.gif really hits fan. And the thousand Sons Gamer has a deep hatred for Special Characters, while thats certainly up for Discussion I am trying to play nice (And avoid Magnus and Ahriman for the Time being). Murderfang was allready a stretch.

Edited by Oshikai, 21 July 2019 - 03:36 PM.

My Vlka Fenryka

jbickb

jbickb

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,995 posts
Fair enough, them I think future you would get alot of mileage out of your 3rd option the. Wulfen will likely need to use on the hint for safety but it should be a fun list
  • Oshikai likes this
Never Mistake:
My Silence for Ignorance
My Kindness for Weakness

Karhedron

Karhedron

++ RENASCITUR EX MORS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,426 posts
I find that 2 squads of Long Fangs is not necessarily twice as good as 1. The reason is that Long Fangs get a lot of punch from the "Wolf's Eye" stratagem but you can only use this once per turn. For this reason, I feel that taking a look at some of the other Heavy options may be useful.

I have been quite impressed by Primaris Hellbasters as they can get a lot of firepower on the move. You really need a Wolf Lord or Bjorn to give them rerolls of 1s to-Hit to prevent overheats though.

Predators are rather over-costed and a bit anaemic in this edition. Forgeworld Dreadnoughts on the other hand are 50 shades of awesome and either a Contemptor Mortis or Leviathan will definitely serve you well. I favour Dual Stormcannons on the Leviathan as the shear weight of firepower will out perform the Grav Flux bombard against most targets whilst having 33% longer range.
  • Oshikai likes this
Sanguinius stood up, stretching his wings to their full extent. He flexed his hands. "I need no blade".
It was as though Sanguinius gleamed with pale light, his face white, eyes becoming blood-red, surrounded by the golden crown of flowing hair. Guilliman had witnessed glimpses of of his brother's wrath before, but had never seen the true Blood Angel unleashed. Sanguinius surged forward on alabaster wings, half a meter from the floor, whiteness streaming from him like flames.

Oshikai

Oshikai

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 107 posts

Thanks a bunch Karhedron. Thats some food for thought! 

My Vlka Fenryka

PeteySödes

PeteySödes

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,484 posts
Seconded for dreads as heavy weapon platforms! Mortis or relic patterns are really great! I find LFs really need cover to shine and I feel like I’ve never had a game where there was a surplus of good spots for them so having 2 may be unwieldy.
  • Triszin and Oshikai like this

TiguriusX

TiguriusX

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,133 posts
  • Faction: Space Wolves
Long fangs have 1 trick dreads cant do.

3 CP combo for unstoppable alpha strike

Outflank
keen senses
wolfs eye

Rerolling 1s to hit needing 3s
Rerolling all wounds

Guaranteed heavy fire power the enemy cant kill simply because you go 2nd
  • Karhedron and Oshikai like this

A digital space wolf returning to the pack and emerging from the warp on the TT to try the hobby side

Inglorious Drunkard Champion-Night 3 (2012)

ETL first time participant-2018

ETL-2019

gallery_48988_15465_42927.png

PeteySödes

PeteySödes

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,484 posts
I dislike the outflank though since you lose a very valuable turn. Plus good players are going to very easily screen you out. My argument though was just for rather than taking 2 squads, diversify.
  • Oshikai likes this

Oshikai

Oshikai

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 107 posts

Thanks Guys, much obliged, gonna keep those Hints in Mind. One Point toward Dreadnoughts....I really suffered assembling those Forgeworld Heavy Weapond for my Long Fangs sweat.gif , not sure if I want to repeat that this soon. AND...I just love Dreadnought and especially the Contemptor Modelwise. ...Although sadly I think the Space Welves Contemptor is one of the weaker sculpts.

Edited by Oshikai, 03 August 2019 - 11:10 AM.

My Vlka Fenryka

PeteySödes

PeteySödes

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,484 posts

Thanks Guys, much obliged, gonna keep those Hints in Mind. One Point toward Dreadnoughts....I really suffered assembling those Forgeworld Heavy Weapond for my Long Fangs sweat.gif , not sure if I want to repeat that this soon. AND...I just love Dreadnought and especially the Contemptor Modelwise. ...Although sadly I think the Space Welves Contemptor is one of the weaker sculpts.

I’m with ya on the sculpt, consider converting a different one! The FW relic contemptor is beautiful and you’d have a ton of room to add flavor. The Raven Guard one can work for us too with a few prayers to the machine god.

Oshikai

Oshikai

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 107 posts

What do you Guys Think about exchanging one Squad of Grey Hunters and their Razorback for Intercessors in an Impulsor (Yes, I actually really like the Look apart from those Stubbers), maybe with Shield Dome and some Melee on the Sergeant? Mostly because I am interested in the Models, allways liked Intercessors but hated that they couldn`t keep up with my motorized approach. I would loose a good Deal of firepower I fear though. Don`t want to hamstring myself too much. 12 Assault Cannon shots are as good as ever and there is the Plasma Gun also.

Edited by Oshikai, 12 August 2019 - 04:14 PM.

My Vlka Fenryka

jbickb

jbickb

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,995 posts
Honestly I plan on giving a similar squad a go. I was thinking assault bolters (hopefully the rumors of assault 3 are true) and power fist on the Sergeant. Perhaps accompanied by our lovely Primaris Lieutenant. It'll be fun if nothing else
Never Mistake:
My Silence for Ignorance
My Kindness for Weakness

Karhedron

Karhedron

++ RENASCITUR EX MORS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,426 posts
The firepower on the Impulsor looks like being less than an TLAC Razorback but it is a bit cheaper too. I would be more tempted to put a higher value squad like Hellblasters in there to get them into double-tap range pronto.

Intercessors can hang back and benefit from Bolter Discipline or act defensively to counter charge with Shock assault.
Sanguinius stood up, stretching his wings to their full extent. He flexed his hands. "I need no blade".
It was as though Sanguinius gleamed with pale light, his face white, eyes becoming blood-red, surrounded by the golden crown of flowing hair. Guilliman had witnessed glimpses of of his brother's wrath before, but had never seen the true Blood Angel unleashed. Sanguinius surged forward on alabaster wings, half a meter from the floor, whiteness streaming from him like flames.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users