Quick rundown/rules change for a returning player...

JaM_TW

And, perhaps, his son (not returning but starting, maybe).

So, I've bought the "first strike" box. First 40K minis I've panted in ages, first 40K "game" I've played in 1.5 decade.

I am missing some rules :huh.:it seems. Or they got overhauled, more likely...

That raised some questions, so here it goes:

- If I charge, there isnt a +1 attack for charging anymore, is there?

- If I lose models, I roll for morale. I add the models lost to the 2d6 roll, and have to stay under (or roll equal?) to stay in the fight.

If I roll over, I lose that many models (not wounds, models) and fall back. Right?

- Do I keep falling back, making rolls every turn until I leave the board or roll low enough? If the latter, do I roll since my squad is smaller then I started with? Or are they okay for now, until they lose more models? What then, do I roll for morale and still look to the original numer of models the sqaud had?

- Is there still initiative?

- follow-up moves is always 3 inch, so no more moving from close combat to close combat?

- can you shoot through your own unit(s) to hit the enemy's? Do they get a cover save?

Mind you, I only got that box at the moment, and the (advanced!:happy.:woohoo!) rules that came with it. So far it does seem nicely streamlined in comparision to previous editions... If I can get a few games out of this with my son, it's all worthwhile. He gets to paint some marines, I get to paint some chaos. Looking forward to play small games on a small table. Kinda like cityfight/killteam.

But it would help if I got some of these questions answered, otherwise I get the feeling I am missing some stuff.

Any help appreciated!

Cheers,

Jan

And, perhaps, his son (not returning but starting, maybe).

So, I've bought the "first strike" box. First 40K minis I've panted in ages, first 40K "game" I've played in 1.5 decade.

I am missing some rules :huh:it seems. Or they got overhauled, more likely...

That raised some questions, so here it goes:

- If I charge, there isnt a +1 attack for charging anymore, is there?

That's right, no +1A for charging anymore. However now you can hit first when you charge regardless of your weapon or initiative!

- If I lose models, I roll for morale. I add the models lost to the 2d6 roll, and have to stay under (or roll equal?) to stay in the fight.

If I roll over, I lose that many models (not wounds, models) and fall back. Right?

You check for moral at the end of each players turn.

When a unit lost at least one model that turn, you roll 1d6 and add the amount of models the unit lost that turn. If the result is above that units LD you lose additional models equaling the difference.

It has nothing to do with falling back. Unless there's a special rule that forces you to fall back or you decide to fall back on your own you stay in fight regardless of the result of a units moral check.

- Do I keep falling back, making rolls every turn until I leave the board or roll low enough? If the latter, do I roll since my squad is smaller then I started with? Or are they okay for now, until they lose more models? What then, do I roll for morale and still look to the original numer of models the sqaud had?

Falling back just means that you move out of melee. It's a decision you make on your own. In your next turn your unit acts however you want again.

No, it's not needed anymore.

- follow-up moves is always 3 inch, so no more moving from close combat to close combat?

You can still move into another close combat if there's a unit close enough.

- can you shoot through your own unit(s) to hit the enemy's? Do they get a cover save?

Yes you can. No they don't get any cover benefits for that.

When a unit lost at least one model that turn, you roll 1d6 and add the amount of models the unit lost that turn. If the result is above that units LD you lose additional models equaling the difference.

It has nothing to do with falling back. Unless there's a special rule that forces you to fall back or you decide to fall back on your own you stay in fight regardless of the result of a units moral check.

There kinda is - while most of the time it's chargers then rest of the fights, some units have priority (equivalent of old high initiative) and strike first. It's rare but worth mentioning.

Also, if you're playing SM, ATSKNF allows you to reroll the morale D6 so unless you lost 7-9 models from unit you have very low chances of actually failing morale check. It's also why most SM players runs MSU of 5 model units now, to maximize impact of morale negation.

There kinda is - while most of the time it's chargers then rest of the fights, some units have priority (equivalent of old high initiative) and strike first. It's rare but worth mentioning.

Also, if you're playing SM, ATSKNF allows you to reroll the morale D6 so unless you lost 7-9 models from unit you have very low chances of actually failing morale check. It's also why most SM players runs MSU of 5 model units now, to maximize impact of morale negation.

Yeah but those are special rules. I didn't want to list every special rule in the game and impact on the core mechanics. ^^

Thanks guys!

I am sure there will be more, but so far I'm good.

Maybe I should pick up the rulebook (or read better and think I've missed a bit of information).

Another one:

Is there a way to make the "first strike" kit a bit more balanced? I think the SMarines-side is a tad stronger than the Nurgle ones'. Add 1 nurgle bolter-carrier? Or add a few poxwalkers? If so, how many? There are 3 reivers, 3 intercessors, 6 poxwalkers and 3 nurgle marines (PF/plague sword/plasmagun, bolter, plague-belcher) in it.

We've played (and replayed) the first few missions, he's quite excited about it. So am I, actually. Glad I got the box.

Thanks guys!

I am sure there will be more, but so far I'm good.

Maybe I should pick up the rulebook (or read better and think I've missed a bit of information).

Another one:

Is there a way to make the "first strike" kit a bit more balanced? I think the SMarines-side is a tad stronger than the Nurgle ones'. Add 1 nurgle bolter-carrier? Or add a few poxwalkers? If so, how many? There are 3 reivers, 3 intercessors, 6 poxwalkers and 3 nurgle marines (PF/plague sword/plasmagun, bolter, plague-belcher) in it.

We've played (and replayed) the first few missions, he's quite excited about it. So am I, actually. Glad I got the box.

Well your best bet is to make both sides play with the same amount of points according to the latest rules (Codex + Chapter Approved). You can use Battlescribe for easy list building tho.

However whether it turns out perfectly balanced or not ... well lets just say that forces of equal points are supposed to be equally strong but so far GW has never ever managed to make the game perfectly balanced. ^^

Archived