Looking for some advice!

GrandMagnus

Hey fraters,

So a while back I started a tau army, which is now composed of a start collecting box set, so 3 xv8s, 1 ethereal and 10 fire warriors, all painted in the T'au scheme. However, I am consider adding a vanguard detachment composed of the following list:

SEPT: T’au, Coordinated fire arcs.

WARLORD TRAIT: Exemplar of Kauyon.

WARLORD SEPT TRAIT: T’au, Strength of Belief.

STRATAGEM: Repulsor Impact Field.

HQ:

XV86 Coldstar Commander – burst cannon, flamer, advanced targeting system, missile pod, shield drone, MVI gun drone, XV8-02 crisis Iridium armor. Pts: 168

ELITES:

Crisis battlesuits (3) – shas'vre, plasma rifle (4), Fusion blaster, flamer, shield drone, MVI gun drones (4), advanced targeting systems (3), MV7 marker drone. Pts: 305

XV25 Stealth Battlesuits (3) – shas’vre, burst cannons (2), fusion blaster, markerlight, target lock, MV7 marker drone, MVI gun drone. Pts: 125

XV25 Stealth Battlesuits (3) – shas’vre, burst cannons (2), fusion blaster, markerlight, target lock, MV7 marker drone, MVI gun drone. Pts: 125

XV95 Ghostkeel Battlesuit. - fusion collider, burst cannons, MV5 stealth drones (2), advanced targeting system, shield generator. Pts: 179

Pts: 902

So what I need adviced with is following:

1. How do you see the list, viable so far? I think the list is quite well equipped to handle most situations, but please keep in mind I don't play on a competitive level, only with friends who use nids, necrons, space wolves, emperors children, ultramarines and Imp. guard.

2. As I mentioned they were painted in a T'au scheme, with camo. However considering this list will be "independent" and looks like a stealth strike force I am considering if I should paint them in another scheme. I do prefer painting and colleting to playing, but what are your thoughts on that.

I think you picked one of the weakest weapon combinations for the Ghostkeel. Try the Ion+Fusion Blaster combination.

The Coldstar loadout is illegal since you can't combine Voldstar and Iridium. Also if you keep the MP keep the High-output burst cannon as well. Same points for twice the shots of a regular Burst cannon.

The crisis suits loadout is pretty confused. Better keep them focussed on one task.

Consider Shield Generstors for your Stealth Suits. They are cheap and definitely worth the points.

I think you picked one of the weakest weapon combinations for the Ghostkeel. Try the Ion+Fusion Blaster combination.

The Coldstar loadout is illegal since you can't combine Voldstar and Iridium. Also if you keep the MP keep the High-output burst cannon as well. Same points for twice the shots of a regular Burst cannon.

The crisis suits loadout is pretty confused. Better keep them focussed on one task.

Consider Shield Generstors for your Stealth Suits. They are cheap and definitely worth the points.

Ghostkeel, ok, I'll look at changing that.

Coldstar, yeah I noticed that :sweat: previously I had a XV8 crisis commander with iridium, forgot to remove it when I changed it to coldstar, I'll go back and edit it.

Crisis, I read about that build but I'm willing to use another one, any suggestions?

Stealth suits, are the shield generators bought for each member or on a squad level?

Thank you :)

To be fair Crisis are just not that good currently. They either need a proper points reduction or BS3+.

However there are a few things you just want to know:

• generally don't mix weapons that don't fulfill the same purpose. Your Crisis are more efficient as scalpels rather than jack of all trades despite of how they're shown in the fluff
  • Missile Pods are the most overcosted weapon currently
  • Airburst Fragmentation Projectors are just bad. Period. Just take Burst Cannons or Flamers if you want anti-chaff instead.
  • full Flamer Crisis are decent currently. They are pretty fast at M8 and you can advance every turn without having to care about any to-hit penalty since flamer hit automatically. Since they want to be around for a while Shield Drones aren't a bad idea
  • Cyclic Ion Blasters are mathematically the best weapon you can give them for almost any target. However you get only one CIB-bit per Commander box and that's it
  • Crisis can be decent in a FSE detachment due the +1 to-hit Stratagem the turn they arrive from reserves ... for one turn at least

The Shield Generator for Stealth Suits is bought for each separately, just like any other weapon or support system for battlesuits.

This was the original idea for my xv8 unit, minus the commander.

A dedicated anti-infantry/anti-heavy infantry/anti-vehicle unit that excels at inflicting heavy losses on the enemy's side. Two XV-8s are loaded with two Plasma Rifles and Target Locks and the third is loaded with two Fusion Blasters and a Target Lock. All of the Suits take two Gun Drones. A buffmander with a Drone Controller and two Gun Drones is attached to the squad and is usually held in Deep Strike Reserves. With this unit, you can dump 2 BS3 S8 melta shots, 8 BS3 S6 plasma shots, and 16 BS5 S5 pulse carbine shots, all twin linked and ignores cover, at different targets allowing you to optimize your target selection for the unit. Unless there your targets have an invulnerable save, you are most likely going to gut them.

"A dedicated anti-infantry/anti-heavy infantry/anti-vehicle unit" ... I had to stop there to type this already. A unit that wants to do all this is NOT dedicated unless you count doing damage to enemy units as dedication but then 99% of the units in the game are dedicated regardless of their loadout. ;)

Since the term "buffmander" gets used I assume the description is from before 8th edition? Or maybe it's from someone who wants to re-build his pre 8th edition army with 8th edition rules without having that much experience with the current Codex? Believe me, I did the same for one or two games by trying to use a Mark'O (Commander with Drone Controller and Missile Pods surrounded by Marker Drones) since I converted one specifically for this role and he was lots of fun to use in 7th edition.

Anyway, no amount of buffing a Commander can do beats him shooting at BS2+ with his own weapons this edition. Use his Kauyon or Mont'ka ability one turn and then the other turns let him go and wreck face on his own. A Drone Controller is just as effective on a regular Crisis Suit as it is on a Commander without costing you a valuable BS2+ weapon slot.

Back to the Crisis weapons. If you really want them to be able to take on all those targets your best bet is to go with Cyclic Ion Blaster. 3 shots at S7/8 AP-1 D1/1d3 is the right combination of weight of fire, high strength and potential multi-damage to threaten basically anything. The AP-1 ensures that they're still effective against Sv2+ units as well (don't switch a weapon for an Advanced Targeting System, it's not worth it mathematically).

"A dedicated anti-infantry/anti-heavy infantry/anti-vehicle unit" ... I had to stop there to type this already. A unit that wants to do all this is NOT dedicated unless you count doing damage to enemy units as dedication but then 99% of the units in the game are dedicated regardless of their loadout. :wink:

Since the term "buffmander" gets used I assume the description is from before 8th edition? Or maybe it's from someone who wants to re-build his pre 8th edition army with 8th edition rules without having that much experience with the current Codex? Believe me, I did the same for one or two games by trying to use a Mark'O (Commander with Drone Controller and Missile Pods surrounded by Marker Drones) since I converted one specifically for this role and he was lots of fun to use in 7th edition.

Anyway, no amount of buffing a Commander can do beats him shooting at BS2+ with his own weapons this edition. Use his Kauyon or Mont'ka ability one turn and then the other turns let him go and wreck face on his own. A Drone Controller is just as effective on a regular Crisis Suit as it is on a Commander without costing you a valuable BS2+ weapon slot.

Back to the Crisis weapons. If you really want them to be able to take on all those targets your best bet is to go with Cyclic Ion Blaster. 3 shots at S7/8 AP-1 D1/1d3 is the right combination of weight of fire, high strength and potential multi-damage to threaten basically anything. The AP-1 ensures that they're still effective against Sv2+ units as well (don't switch a weapon for an Advanced Targeting System, it's not worth it mathematically).

Thanks, all this info helps alot :) I'm used to marines which are simpler to build, but the xv8s in particular are a nightmare for me :sweat: they have so many options.

He was a Commander in 6th and 7th editions equipped with Puretide Engram Neurochip and Command and Control Node. Paired with battlesuits-of-choice, he was extremely effective. Now that the Neurochip has a completely different effect and CCN is a stratagem, as you said, 4x 2+ hitting fusion blasters are better than giving some rerolls to a unit.

He was a Commander in 6th and 7th editions equipped with Puretide Engram Neurochip and Command and Control Node. Paired with battlesuits-of-choice, he was extremely effective. Now that the Neurochip has a completely different effect and CCN is a stratagem, as you said, 4x 2+ hitting fusion blasters are better than giving some rerolls to a unit.

lol I know what he is.

Or rather was.

Flamer wastes the BS2+ on the coldstar, unless your taking the relic flamer, then it’s a solid choice.

The best load out for crisis suits are full flamers or cyclonic ion blasters. Also the general opinion is to avoid mixing weapons. Keep them focused, that said, CIB are a great because they’re verifier against most targets.

I keep away from marker light + target locks on my stealth teams. Theyre weapons are assault so they can still move and shoot without penalty plus everything gets split fire now. It’s expensive for a marker light, when you consider a Fire warrior shasui can take a markerlight for 3p.

I kit my ghostkeels with cyclonic ion raker, fusion blasters, target lock and advanced targeting systems. I find that with a shield generator, (while it does make it incredibly durable) it often gets ignored. Which would normally be a good thing, but I’d much rather someone shoot at my GK with -2 to hit, than shooting at the rest of my army.

CIR and FB’s make this an effective anti tank weapon (provided with ML support). While not being useless against infantry.

Target lock on big suits are an auto take for me, as they’re primary weapons are heavy. (Can be mitigated by ML support, but it’s nice to know they can act independently of and when our ML sources are dead)

ATS on GK Is a matter of preference, it makes the CIR a very nasty weapon at AP-2. But there is something to be said about other support systems.

Power vs 'cool'; the eternal question (unless you're smart and believe power = cool).

Build what you want! Rip off load outs, magnetize, proxy, build another model. Maybe commander All'star will take on this game with flamer, pod, burst, whatever, but the next game commander Murd'er takes the field with quad fusion.

Something to consider is certain relic weapons don't take a slot, so you can cram in another egg in that basket :)

Archived