Rigo(u)r Mortis - Manufactorum & Assembly Yard - 12.03.19

Chaeron

+++LOADING+++

+++LOADING+++

+++LOADING+++

+++LOADING+++

+++CONNECTION ESTABLISHED+++
+++MANIFOLD UPLOAD COMPLETE+++

With everyone else starting their project logs and making lots of progress, it's finally time to report on my own! I knew with this release it was something I really wanted to delve into, not just because of my love of the Heresy setting, but the opportunity to command lots of Titans fighting in a smaller scale was too good to pass up – and I’ve been excited by the prospect of owning some of these iconic models and using them on the tabletop.

The choice was inevitably simple: the Legio Mortis, as per my Warhound’s paint scheme and the sympathetic colour scheme of my Knight House, but also as Traitors and allies to one of my main armies, the Death Guard. 

I want to do these justice, given that they can be showpiece models in themselves due to the lower count of figures required for this game, and to also focus on the other aspects like basing to help provide a sense of scale for this too.

My initial focus therefore has not been getting them ready for the tabletop, contrary to my normal machinations, but rather planning the sort of mini-diorama each base can potentially be, and crafting that accordingly. I hope to experiment with these models more in style, with my airbrush and oil paints, and things of that ilk – to continue to develop those modelling skills and to produce what I hope to be stand out models for gaming in future. The emphasis therefore, is on rigour – hence the title!

So far, for the Legio, I’ve made the following collection of bases:

bases.jpg?w=584

These are currently a mixture of cork tile, 40k buildings, old Epic ruins, and some suitably damaged new scale Titanicus buildings, supplemented with plasticard and Milliput. There’ll be a number of other additions to help these look suitably ‘urban ruin’ in due course, as well as the use of some of the traditional Epic models to help enhance the sense of scale and immersion. I’ll be texturing these once the Milliput cures – but these should give a good overview of the general style that I’ll work towards through the construction process.

I’ve most certainly taken inspiration from so many fantastic modelling and painting projects that have been cropping up recently; it really has provided so many fascinating ideas to work with such eminently poseable figures. We’ll see how these turn out!

Excellent approach, seems like nice little dioramas to be. Also curious about your plans for the one with the tall building. Have you tried dry fitting the titan you are planning to add on this particular base? If not, I would advise you do. A bit afraid the building might take too much space or obscure too much of the titan. Its height comes at about where the reaver's head is located (if the base is for a reaver of course).

Thanks all for the positive comments - really much appreciated!

Cork is great basing material, I'm almost out of mine.

It's definitely really versatile! I tend not to use it for other projects, but I think it's great for bulking things out, whilst being both light and suitably rocky! I've got thick and thin sheets, as well as granulated cork, for variety.

so, 4 warlords, 2 reavers, 4 warhounds and 12 knights!

nice small force you have there.

Getting there, definitely! We'll see what comes next, probably driven by new maniples!

Some nice stuff here. Could we get a close up of your trench base? Also, I'm curious how you're going to fit a Titan onto the bottom right base.

Looking forward to seeng what you come up with.

Dallo

Of course - I'll sort that out in the coming days. I did dry fit the bottom right base, so I'm optimistic - we'll see :laugh.:

The base with the tall building in the back is what I’m curious about. Reaver smashing the building?

We'll see if it all goes to plan... It's what I'm working on at the moment, so hope to have a solid update on that in the next day or two.

Excellent approach, seems like nice little dioramas to be. Also curious about your plans for the one with the tall building. Have you tried dry fitting the titan you are planning to add on this particular base? If not, I would advise you do. A bit afraid the building might take too much space or obscure too much of the titan. Its height comes at about where the reaver's head is located (if the base is for a reaver of course).

Thanks Mendi Warrior - here's hoping they turn out well! I did a visual fit, and then a rough dry fit - and I do have a contingency at hand to boot. Biggest thing is doing dry fits of armour panels with the leg posing... lots of BluTack!

Working through my Reaver sub-assemblies at the moment, so I'll post up more progress and close-ups soon, once I've magnetised them.

A solid base really makes a miniature stand out. Great start to building a Legio.

Thanks Captain Idaho - definitely gives me a good starting point, and doesn't feel like an afterthought, but more like I'm working this all together which feels so much better!

+++UPLOAD++

+++UPLOAD++

+++UPLOAD++

+++UPLOAD++

+++FOLLOW THE REAVER+++

So, having made this positive start of basing all my current models, I've now started working on building the Titans themselves, with some suitably creative poses. I had initially started with building the legs of the Warhounds, but wanted to move the Reavers forward then, as they have some of the slightly more ambitious posing and bases of the Legio as a whole. I've initially started by using BlueTack to find the appropriate sort of pose, which'll shortly be glued once the logistics and mechanics are finalised visually. I'm keeping them in their skeletal format, where possible, to enable easier painting in due course.

So, the first of the Reavers is currently modelled as follows:

reaver.jpg

reaver2.jpg

When taking the photo, the fist had slipped slightly, and so I'll re-position this to be at an angle closer to horizontal, to hopefully evoke the 'breaking through' with the stride pose. I will still have this magnetised, even if it feels somewhat excessive, just so I can swap this in future depending on potential weapon packs, or alternative sculpts. It's likely to be either Ferrum Mori or Dread Wake - given the current armament, which'll be reflected in the painting.

I've also added a couple of shots of some of the bases that are a work in progress, such as the trench base, as requested. I'd like to add a rampart to the lip potentially, and this'll still need to be textured, but hopefully gives a quick ideal of how it can be done. The cork was cut into a circle, separated - and thin strips of Plasticard were used to trace round the rough break between the two halves. Additional duckboards have been added in strip format too down the centre, and Milliput has covered the general gap between the plasticard and edge of the cork - as well as adding a more pronounced 'edge' to the trench. 

trenchbase.jpg

trenchbase2.jpg

Will report on more Reaver based progress soon!

Oh man, you should totally have the Reaver punching through the building and put some Epic marines on the roof.

Great plan - I was going to use them in any case, but hadn't thought to put them there!

Can you aim the fist forward like he plowed through it? And maybe a tiny missile contrail coming off a marine?

I've tried with the pose more broadly, although as I've magnetised this - it'll give some flexibility! I think it'll work okay with any of the guns too, as he's sort of peeking round - sneaky!

Love the idea of the tiny marine missile contrail - will see what I can do...

Very noice.

Good to see something so creative and original.

Thank you Captain Idaho, although as aforementioned, I've been inspired by the many different poses that others have been using, my take below is homage, because they are truly brilliant ideas, but it's not something I can take credit for! Certainly, the sheer poseability of these models just gives so many great options for us all to try, and has been great to see what everyone else is doing with them - and what they will do in future.

Excellent! It is very promising. Eagerly awaiting the next step(s)

Maybe some jump infantry barely escaping the roof collapsing?

Cheers Mendi Warrior - I love the thought of that, so will try my best to incorporate!

+++UPLOAD++

+++UPLOAD++

+++UPLOAD++

+++UPLOAD++

+++LIVIN' LA REAVER LOCA+++

Working on the structure of the Titan skeletons has been really fun, particularly for trying out new poses and what might be feasible whilst being able to fit the external armour on afterwards! I've settled on some relatively active poses with all my Titans so far, to convey that sense of movement, but with more to be added to the respective bases, these are definitely still works in progress.

The building Reaver, now fully magnetised:

reaverfront2.jpg?w=584

The climbing Reaver, complete with Warhound kill:

reaverfront.jpg?w=584

reaverside.jpg?w=584

The two Reavers:

reavers.jpg?w=584

As well as the Reavers, I’ve finished building the Warhounds up to their respective skeletal structures. As part of the process, I’ve magnetised all the different weapon options for arms and carapace, so these can be swapped out as needed.

As you can see, I've kept off all the armour (where possible), to make it easier for painting!

The hunting pack:

warhounds.jpg?w=584

I’ll need to keep working on all the bases, but now I’ve got rough body positions for these Titans, it should be easier to keep adding flavour and appropriate items to complete them.

Next steps I think will be to build the Warlords up, just so I can have a run at batch painting this all together for consistency - but we'll see how long that resolve lasts before I want to try and get going...

Nice! I just 3D printed my first 10mm scale Rhino for a base and I’ve got some upscaled Landraiders and Perturabo’s Shadowsword coming too. I really wish I had thought to make something similar to those Epic ruins like yours because they look great.

Some nice looking poses you've got there.

Do you plan to chop up the floor on the ruin of the far right Warhound? It looks too neat and tidy as is IMO.

I see you've used what I'm assuming are 5mm magnets for the Warhound guns. How did you get them to stay perfectly flat when you glued them in?

How have you magnetised the shoulder mounts? I see greenstuff.

Keep up the good work.

Dallo

I really wish I had thought to make something similar to those Epic ruins like yours because they look great.

There's always the next one! Thank you :)

Some nice looking poses you've got there.

Do you plan to chop up the floor on the ruin of the far right Warhound? It looks too neat and tidy as is IMO.

I see you've used what I'm assuming are 5mm magnets for the Warhound guns. How did you get them to stay perfectly flat when you glued them in?

How have you magnetised the shoulder mounts? I see greenstuff.

Keep up the good work.

Dallo

Cheers Dallo!

Currently, the ones that are 'flatter' are deliberate to an extent, because I need to work out how to position some of the Epic pieces. Once I've done that, and probably initially textured, they'll be scored more for mini-craters. Certainly, thinking about my Warlords, their bases are flatter for the time being until I finalise poses etc. - and then we'll really get to work!

In terms of magnets, I've definitely been consistent - intention is to use 5x1mm for everything. For putting them in, I prepped a batch of Green Stuff, filled most of the necessary space (by using judgement, with the odd reduction needed!), and then pressed the magnet in so it was able to fit flush. The Green Stuff should be strong enough to hold the magnet, and when pressed then helps to fill the space around to keep it further in place. Basically, any logical place where I could magnetise, I've used that technique - and it has worked, so would definitely recommend (although I've glued at their waists, just for convenience).

Thanks again for the kind comments, and will keep this coming! 

So I go away for a week and all hell breaks loose? 

Welcome to the craziness Chaeron (as if you weren't crazy enough already :P) 

1. Wow with the bases - that's an amazing level of commitment! Cant wait to see these finalised - they'll add tons of feel to your collection! :tu:

2. Mortis? One of my favourite. A lot of people have chose them so we do have high expectations! :lol:

3. Posing: Oh boy! These are more dynamic than Marines! Are the Warlords a particular problem putting them together and posing them? I haven't touched mine yet and I'm getting all kind of "scary" stories...

Keep going mate, this is a very large project, make no mistake. But it also very inspirational so stick to it and see it through! :tu:

So I go away for a week and all hell breaks loose? 

Welcome to the craziness Chaeron (as if you weren't crazy enough already :tongue.:

1. Wow with the bases - that's an amazing level of commitment! Cant wait to see these finalised - they'll add tons of feel to your collection! :thumbsup:

2. Mortis? One of my favourite. A lot of people have chose them so we do have high expectations! :laugh.:

3. Posing: Oh boy! These are more dynamic than Marines! Are the Warlords a particular problem putting them together and posing them? I haven't touched mine yet and I'm getting all kind of "scary" stories...

Keep going mate, this is a very large project, make no mistake. But it also very inspirational so stick to it and see it through! :thumbsup:

You know me, always trying to keep projects on the go!

I'll do my best to live up to those expectations - with plenty more to come I hope, it's definitely a special project - and one that's really exciting to take my time with!

They look superb, I love the warhound kill, very nice touch

Thanks Mendi Warrior - much obliged! Seems like a good way to utilise those spares...

As a quick progress update, I've now built the skeleton legs for two of the four Warlords, and I'm really happy. I'll hope to complete the next two in the coming days, and will get a progress shot up!

• 2 weeks later...

+++UPLOAD+++

+++UPLOAD+++

+++UPLOAD+++

+++UPLOAD+++

+++MARCH OF THE WARLORDS+++

I’ve continued the theme of creating skeletons by now constructing the legs for all four of my Warlords: once again, buoyed by some great examples of creative poses, I’ve offered my own spin on a few to again evoke movement and destruction in equal measure. I’ll continue to add to these as we go, but it does start getting them to look more like the God-machines they are, and brings them ever closer to the painting table!

Both pairs are evoking the ‘stepping-on’things’ style that’s popular at the moment, and I’ve continued to utilise original Epic bits (including a demonstration of a future Land Raider’s demise, hopefully!), as well as some appropriate 40k terrain materials for the collapsed building effect, to start getting the visual in place:

warlord1.jpg?w=584

warlord2.jpg?w=584

My current debate is whether they actually need to be positioned to be taller – whether that’s via additional cork or something else, as the next picture demonstrates when next to the Reavers as part of the whole Legio that they might benefit from something more. Certainly something to consider anyway! I’ve also added textured paste to all the bases to start making it look more like the urban ruin theme I’m attempting, although naturally – this won’t be the final colour! It has started to hide any messy joins, as well as help to bed in things like the trenches or craters on various bases, which is a great start.

titanlegio.jpg?w=584

Next steps will be to get the bodies built for the four Warlords, and complete their magnetisation – before we can start getting paint on things! 

Looking good. Some nice progress there.

With regards to raising the models higher off the base, if you think it will look better, totally go for it. Having said that, it's something I'm avoiding. In a game that offers cover based on percentage obscurity (obscured-ness?), I think it'll hinder you from a game mechanics point to have unnecessarily tall Titans. 

Still, rule of cool and all that.

Keep up the motivation for your hobby. I find it really helps my project to stay on track when other people are posting their progress too.

Dallo

My current debate is whether they actually need to be positioned to be taller – whether that’s via additional cork or something else, as the next picture demonstrates when next to the Reavers as part of the whole Legio that they might benefit from something more.

I see a lot of people posing their titans with bent knees and I have them almost entirely straight. Warlord legs look to short to me anyway so I didn't want to exacerbate so they'd tower over other titans. 

Archived