Abhuman Psykers?

leinglo

Are there abhuman psykers? So far in the setting, none have been shown or described. At least none natural born within the Imperium. However, if there were abhuman breeds that weren't compatible with the psyker gene, that would probably be noteworthy in and of itself, so it's probably safe to assume there are abhuman psykers. So, what happens to them? Are abhuman psykers simply killed outright upon discovery? Are they earmarked as Golden Throne chow and nothing more? Or is it at all possible abhuman psykers could actually see sanctioned service? Like, could it be possible for there to be Ratling Wyrdvane Psykers in the Imperial Guard?

GW has never clarified on the topic I don't think, and probably never will, so it's kinda up to interpretation.

Well the psyker gene is a mutation in its own right so I would say it was perfectly possible for abhumans to have the same/similar mutation. Whether those born with it would survive to adulthood in their respective abhuman cultures is another matter though, they might be societies which kill psykers as soon as they’re discovered.

I wouldn’t have thought they’d be used to power the golden throne/astronomicon though. For a start it might be seen as polluting it and second the psykers used go through lots of meditation etc before they’re interred in the mechanism which abhumans may not be capable of.

Navigators are a sort of Abhuman, but that's obviously not what you mean. 

The existence of Psykers is barely tolerated in most of the Imperium, and Abhumans are viewed with only a bit less suspicion. I can easily see the Imperium automatically assuming that any Abhuman psyker is obviously too dangerous to live.

An Ogryn psyker probably wouldn't be capable of the level of mental discipline to control their powers - they'd be a totally unacceptable risk. Definitely kill-on-sight. 

A Ratling psyker might be capable of controlling themselves, but we all know ratlings are underhanded and untrustworthy. Sneaky little bugger is probably planning something nefarious. Better kill them just in case.

A beastman Psyker... probably exterminate his entire village. 

The other sorts of Abhumans are, for the most part, not fleshed out enough for us to know. 

I mean, the definition of Abhuman is they're a stable evolutionary offshoot of humanity, so presumably have the same chances of other standard mutations that humanity experiences. It's more likely that they're just either not as capable of having the required mental fortitude (beastmen/ogryns), or sneaky enough that most escape Imperial notice (ratlings).

Abhumans are barely tollerated within the Imperium, so I imagine any exhibiting psychic abilities would be purged:down: ……. But, outside imperial control and on the fringes it might be a different story. It's an intriguing idea to explore:happy.:

The existence of Psykers is barely tolerated in most of the Imperium, and Abhumans are viewed with only a bit less suspicion. I can easily see the Imperium automatically assuming that any Abhuman psyker is obviously too dangerous to live.

I thought Black Ships order visited planets to hand over any captured psyker they find and the governor who has empty hands (either because he was lazy in searching or killed them) can be punished on the spot for incompetence and /or treason? So, no outright killing, I'd think?

Usually there's oversight from the Adeptus Arbites into these sorts of issues. However, while the Black Ships look unfavourably on no psykers being handed over, the fact still remains that they're fairly rare, and that unstable psykers are an incredible risk, particularly in the days of the Great Rift. They're going to understand the excuse of "it was an incredibly powerful psyker with the mind of an Ogryn, we had to shoot to kill, and then burn the remains".

The game has had specific rules for abhuman psykers. This when characters had to be generated with dice rolls, and they had some percentage chance of being psykers. Ratlings and ogryns had I think 5 and 1% chances of rolling psyker.

. For a start it might be seen as polluting it and second the psykers used go through lots of meditation etc before they’re interred in the mechanism which abhumans may not be capable of.

These are different things. The adepts who enter the chamber of the astronomicon are not the ones who are consumed at the golden throne.

I thought Black Ships order visited planets to hand over any captured psyker they find and the governor who has empty hands (either because he was lazy in searching or killed them) can be punished on the spot for incompetence and /or treason? So, no outright killing, I'd think?

To date I've not seen any specific references to capturing of Abhuman psykers in the GW or BL lit...… but of coarse absence of evidence does not mean evidence of absence:ermm:

Squat Psychers hmm...

Yep, good old Living Ancestors had some psychic powers.

You know, I'd completely forgotten about them. They had psychic power cards in the 2nd ed Dark Millennium box I believe.

Secondly, what is your current forum avatar? It looks oddly familiar but I can't put my finger on where from.

Squat Psychers hmm...

You know, I'd completely forgotten about them. They had psychic power cards in the 2nd ed Dark Millennium box I believe.

Secondly, what is your current forum avatar? It looks oddly familiar but I can't put my finger on where from.

Some alien from an 80s saturday kids tv show. The name of it escapes me atm.

Isn’t it Gilbert the Alien from Get Fresh?

Those second edition psychic desks were great - they felt very distinct for each army, even within the various imperial factions (inquisition, marines, sanctioned psyker, as I recall).

Isn’t it Gilbert the Alien from Get Fresh?

Those second edition psychic desks were great - they felt very distinct for each army, even within the various imperial factions (inquisition, marines, sanctioned psyker, as I recall).

Thats the one!!!

2nd ed had the best psychic phase imho.

Squat Psychers hmm...

Brilliant. :thumbsup:

In the old Space Marine novel, the Imperial Fists come up against some Squats that had been tainted by Chaos. Of course, the Living Ancestor and his psychic abilities were the root of this problem.. 

Archived