Malevolence release (Questions, not answers!)

Indefragable

why do the spiky bits articles make my brain hurt...? 

the other "sources" say the same thing... nothing, which is odd since we are so close to release, you would kinda expect something even if it's complete wish listing or total lies to generate traffic

Spikey Bits is not worth your time. They steal content and the stuff they don't take from others is usually fabricated or exaggerated in an attempt to generate more ad revenue.

With that out the way, I'm expecting the book to be released/pre-released at the Weekender and Sanguinius to be pre-released/fully previewed and released within a month after. If we see Sanguinius pre-released then I'm hoping for a teaser of the Khan on the Sunday.

Spikey Bits is not worth your time. They steal content and the stuff they don't take from others is usually fabricated or exaggerated in an attempt to generate more ad revenue.

With that out the way, I'm expecting the book to be released/pre-released at the Weekender and Sanguinius to be pre-released/fully previewed and released within a month after. If we see Sanguinius pre-released then I'm hoping for a teaser of the Khan on the Sunday.

If I were a betting man, I'd say Malevolence and 1 special unit and/or character each for BA and WS come out at the weekender.

Since BA are one of the "Big Four" I imagine most attention both in/out of GW will focus on them (shame for the WS, though they are my 2nd favorite chapter).

The question will be whether they do Sanguinius or Khan....Sanguinius, I think would be draw eyeballs no matter when released so they save that for its own moment, though they could also want to pop it at an event like this.

Khan is rumored to have two options: on foot and on a bike. VERY curious to see both the rules and models if so!

Indefragable, if they have to preview/release a primarch, it will most certainly be Sanguinius. Simon Egan has been wanting to sculpt him for years, and I think in one of the latest FW events he confirmed he was working on it.

Indefragable, if they have to preview/release a primarch, it will most certainly be Sanguinius. Simon Egan has been wanting to sculpt him for years, and I think in one of the latest FW events he confirmed he was working on it.

IIRC i think he said Sang was finished, but don't quote me on that

Wonder if Hvarl will be available at the weekender.

Just need deathsworn now!!!

Hope WS & BA get a good showing. Especially if Praetor and Levi are anything to go by

While I'm super excited for BA as they're "my dudes," I am--in its own way--almost more curious to see what they do with WS/Khan since they are a bit more unknown. I.e. if FW doesn't do Sanguinary Guard for BA there will be hell to pay, but it will be curious to see exactly what direction they go with WS....a bike/jetbike unit is expected, but exactly who-what-where-how is fascinating. I'm curious if they go the Elite direction like Ravenwing or if they do a Troops version of sorts. Likewise, I wonder if Keshig will be standalone unit or limited to a bodyguard you can only take if you take Khan himself (on foot).

Hope the BA special characters are Raldoron and Azkaellon...too much to ask?

Raldoron is in dire need of an expose for sure. He's kind of the proto-Dante in terms of that all-around inspiring :cuss - kicker. According to some anecdotes from ADB, he was one of the "Top 4" individual combatants in all the Legion Astartes alongside Abaddon, Sigusmund, and Sevatarion. And he is depicted as being one of Sanguinius' most trusted, if not the person most trusted by Sanguinius in almost every BL book the IX Legion is in...

...yet we know almost nothing about him. We are told so much but we see very little of it. That dichomoty is begging for FW to explore....I have VERY high hopes.

As for the other BA Character, some rumors said they were going to do M'Kani Kano, Chief Librarian and assistant Chapter Master (which that right there is intriguing) since he is another pivotal yet little known character and it would also add a non-TS psyker to the mix of named figures in 30k.

The "easy" choice would be for them to do Azkaellon and Amit. Azkaellon, Commander of the Sanguinary Guard and confidant of Sanguinius,  would have a re-rollable 2++ in melee to show his unparalleled defensive combat abilities while Amit, Capt of the 5th and the "Flesh Tearer" would be a mini Angron, sacrificing any and all defense for bat - :cuss crazy levels of offense. Those polar extremes (and how they represent the duality of the BA) are central to some of the BL audio dramas. Some form of showing that idea on the tabletop, anyways.

I think Sanguinary Guard are a lock for special unit, although I'm curious what the second special unit would be. There have been rumors and hints dropped about silver-mask-clad Destroyers...the idea being that rather than having dedicated Destroyer units, it was an assignment the IX Legion would rotate marines through to spread out the "burden" of having to use such horrendous weapons. I can also seem them doing a ____ pattern Stormbird since "aerial" and also I think a one-off BA pattern is mentioned somewhere in Ruinstorm. There may also be wild cards like a certain Dreadnought, jump troops, or even just Jump-Pack equipped Veteran Legionnaries.

++++

For the White Scars, I think Targutai Yesugei is a lock. He's just too damn cool of a character to pass up, too important to how the HH V Legion operated,  it would be one of the few non-TS psyker characters in the game, and it would be VERY interesting if they explored the "storm magic" of Chogoris in juxtaposition to the more mainstream psychic powers.

As for the other character....Jubal Khan? Another top-tier warrior and first "master of the hunt." Or Torghun Khan, leader of the outcast suicide squads (which would make for an interesting table top unit).

Yea, somehow I doubt theyll give anyone a rerollable 2+ armour save and def not an invul. There's a reason sevetar only has a 3+, and the hatred towards the tribune and his old 3++ rerollable is apparent.

A rerolled 2+ passes 97% of the time, in a squad with an apothecary it's 98%. And you want an invul, where you'd need an average of 100 wounds inflicted to cause one failed save...

Yea, somehow I doubt theyll give anyone a rerollable 2+ armour save and def not an invul. There's a reason sevetar only has a 3+, and the hatred towards the tribune and his old 3++ rerollable is apparent.

A rerolled 2+ passes 97% of the time, in a squad with an apothecary it's 98%. And you want an invul, where you'd need an average of 100 wounds inflicted to cause one failed save...

Oh I was just rattling stuff off, meaning as a point of comparison that Azkaellon was supposedly "untouchable" in combat* though--especially in comparison to Amit--he wasn't known for his killstreaks as much. I don't expect, nor want for anyone to have a re-rollable 2++ invuln save.

*accept for getting snuck up on by Curze, which, is actually pretty good considering he survived that at all

For the White Scars, I think Targutai Yesugei is a lock. He's just too damn cool of a character to pass up, too important to how the HH V Legion operated, it would be one of the few non-TS psyker characters in the game, and it would be VERY interesting if they explored the "storm magic" of Chogoris in juxtaposition to the more mainstream psychic powers.

As for the other character....Jubal Khan? Another top-tier warrior and first "master of the hunt." Or Torghun Khan, leader of the outcast suicide squads (which would make for an interesting table top unit).

I’d be surprised if Yesugei made it, because he wasn’t on Chondax and that seems to be the extent of the White Scars’ story in this book. SHiban and Torghun were, but they were still on the same side.

That makes me wonder… are the black books going to advance slowly enough for a future book to cover the White Scars fighting each other over Prospero, or will they skip that battle entirely? The latter would be a pity, but the former is risky. Book 9 will be an early-Heresy book, and if I were planning out the series I would make book 10 about the Martian Civil War (also early-Heresy). After that, there’ll be pressure to move into the mid-Heresy for the new model and rules opportunities (e.g. corrupted Emperor’s Children and other traitors, a Tallarn book and army list…). Basically, I think it’s a mistake to exclude the White Scars’ internal battle from book 8.

As for wishlisting, I could really use some Mongolian-looking bare heads.

That will probably translate to a high weapon skill of 7 and initiative of 6. Those and the attack value is how they generally represent high skill in characters; sevetar and sigismund have the same functional statline and innate mechanics to grant rerolls to get that famous 25 hour tie, if you get what I mean

Yep, it's tough...Raldoron, Azkaellon, Amit, Kano, and Meros all have significant roles on Signus.

I just think Raldoron needs fleshing out the most. He's the BA equivalent Abaddon/Sigismund...yet completely undeveloped

As for the WS characters, perhaps Qin Xa? I believe both Yesugei and Jubal are absent from Chondax. Shiban, Torghun, Hasik, Jemulan, Qin Xa would be possibilities

I think the BA's and WS will see their respective first captains, iirc every legion so far has them, it would be odd if they didn't, Though i don't know how much Raldoron will differ from a standard BA, since he's fluffed as being almost indistinguishable from a first chapter marine (the black trinkets like blood drops, as used by The Blood tribe) and armed with a bolt pistol and power sword iirc.

Amit i could see in a Scouring book, just to show off his rage more, I could see him and the proto Flesh Tearers, chasing down Traitors and butchering them worse than the pre-heresy  World eaters did and foreshadowing the later Flesh Tearers.

We might see the high chaplain as a counter point to the Word Bearer's.

I think the BA's and WS will see their respective first captains, iirc every legion so far has them.

Only 7 of the legions have their first captain/highest ranked guy in the game. I'm not counting Khârn, because an equerry doesn't necessarily translate to first captain (see maloghurst and abbadon). So 7 out of 15 released, 8 if you count dynat. Still about a 50% chance of getting Xa, raldoran or corswainn

I'm not sure the WS have a first captain or first khan.

The Noyan-Khans seem to be the WS equivalent of Lord Commanders. I believe two or three of them would, together, have authority over all units in the legion. So Hasik and Jemulan would be those guys during Chondax. The WS blademasters would be Qin Xa and Jubal.

I am sure we will see the book and some BA too but i am not sure about WS

I don't know if FW is able now with their reduced staff to make rules and models for WS too in Malevolence

Yes, there will be White Scars rules in the book. That has not changed in the year since the last Weekender. If there were a direction change like that we would have heard about it, considering that in previous streams they’ve said the book was near completion and went through the factions in it - including the Scars.

Models - well that is a fair question. I’ve spoken to designers at past events who have admitted that they (FW) have messed up in the past by not having some model support for new Legions at a Black Book release. Given we’ve already got Praetors and Dreadnought available for the Angels this gives the FW guys some scope to drop some similar WS units at the Weekender.

FWPreview-jan21-BAPaladins4tdv.jpg
Crimson Paladins? Subsect of the Sang guard or another formation? also OMG they are pretty

Damn. I have a feeling that FW is going to be doing special Terminators for all Legions. Just like there is a Term Praetor no matter what. Definitely caught me off guard, but that presents an interesting unit option for sure.

Archived