The Fulminis Crusade

Marshall Heber

And these are just Rhinos, the prospect of a Predator or LRC is a daunting one, though I will trust in my ZEAL to carry me through.

I'm going to try drybrushing on my next build, in fact I'm going to follow a very different process entirely. I had both of these completely built before I started painting and now have all the colours blocked in so I think I've made things more difficult for myself.

I'm glad you all like the hazard stripes, I'm really happy how they turned out. At first our colour scheme may seem very dull compared to some of the others but actually having such a blank slate gives so many more opportunities for those little embellishments, details and splashes of colour and I think that our completed figures and vehicles have a great deal more character and interest compared to most other chapters.

Hazard stripes and checkers are proper old school goodness.  If you wanna go all out, add flames :lol:

Fortunately Firepower, at this rate, noone will ever need to paint one again!

Not so fortunate for me, seeing as I already endured the trial of painting 3.   Over 100 hours of work, and look at the state their rules are in :(

Hazard stripes and checkers are proper old school goodness.

Well, happily I have both.

Managed to sneak half an hour this morning before work and I'm really not thrilled with the way the highlights are going because, firstly, I'm just not very good at them and, secondly, I suffered quite a severe burn at work the other day (I'm a chef) over my right hand, wrist and halfway up my forearm so it's currently bandaged and quite swollen so my dexterity is not what it should be. Thus far I've only done half of one Rhino so did a bit of drybrushing on the other half. If I'm careful I think I could do it without making too much of a mess of the details I've painted so far, I'm going to finish one half with edge highlighting and the other half with drybrushing and see what I (and you guys) think is the best way to go

• 2 weeks later...

TL:DR c&c on army list goals

Brothers, I am hoping you can help me. Up until this point I have just been building and painting random models, mostly cheap deals from eBay. I would like to build a cohesive, usable army that I can play (when I actually get the chance to play a game). I'm not trying to build a competitive list but a fluff based, thematic army. I hope you can take a few minutes and take a read through, I'm happy with any feedback, criticism or suggestions any of you may have.

I have put together a list that I think would be a good one to work towards, this wouldn't be the limit of my collection by any means but a starting place.

I think this force gives me a good mix of melee and both anti-tank and anti-infantry fire support. Also gives me 10 CP, which seems a reasonable amount.

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [34 PL, 523pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

**Chapter Selection**: Black Templars

+ HQ +

The Emperor's Champion [4 PL, 75pts]

Captain [5 PL, 88pts]: Power sword, Storm shield, The Crusader's Helm, Warlord

+ Troops +

Crusader Squad [15 PL, 190pts]: 7x Neophyte w/Combat Knife

. 4x Initiate w/Chainsword

. Initiate w/Heavy Weapon: Power sword

. Initiate w/Special Weapon: Flamer

. Sword Brother: Combi-flamer, Power sword

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 85pts]: Bolt rifle, 4x Intercessor, Intercessor Sergeant

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 85pts]: Bolt rifle, 4x Intercessor, Intercessor Sergeant

++ Spearhead Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [44 PL, 774pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

+ HQ +

Primaris Lieutenants [5 PL, 74pts]

. Primaris Lieutenant: Power sword

Chaplain [5 PL, 72pts]: Bolt pistol

+ Heavy Support +

Land Raider Crusader [16 PL, 264pts]: 2x Hurricane bolter, Twin assault cannon

Predator [9 PL, 182pts]: Predator autocannon, Storm bolter, Two Lascannons

Predator [9 PL, 182pts]: Predator autocannon, Storm bolter, Two Lascannons

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [48 PL, 703pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

+ HQ +

Chaplain [6 PL, 90pts]: Bolt pistol, Jump Pack

+ Elites +

Apothecary [3 PL, 55pts]

Company Veterans [8 PL, 80pts]

. Space Marine Veteran: Boltgun, Power sword

. Veteran Sergeant: Combi-flamer, Power sword

Vanguard Veteran Squad [16 PL, 254pts]: Jump Pack, Melta bombs

. Space Marine Veteran: Storm shield, Thunder hammer

. Space Marine Veteran: Storm shield, Thunder hammer

. Space Marine Veteran: 2x Lightning Claw

. Space Marine Veteran: Chainsword, Storm shield

. Space Marine Veteran: Chainsword, Storm shield

. Space Marine Veteran: Plasma pistol, Power sword

. Space Marine Veteran: Bolt pistol, Power sword

. Space Marine Veteran: Bolt Pistol & Chainsword

. Space Marine Veteran: Bolt Pistol & Chainsword

. Veteran Sergeant: Plasma pistol, Relic blade

+ Fast Attack +

Inceptor Squad [10 PL, 135pts]: Assault bolter, 2x Inceptor, Inceptor Sergeant

+ Dedicated Transport +

Razorback [5 PL, 89pts]: Storm bolter, Twin heavy bolter

++ Total: [126 PL, 2000pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

I would plan to have the Marshall, Apothecary and Company Vets in the Razorback. The Chaplain, EC and Crusaders jump in the LRC. Both of those vehicles head straight up the middle while the Vanguard Vets, Inceptors and Jump Chaplain deepstrike in to tie up any nasty shooty units/claim early objectives/force my opponent to react. The Predators sit back giving long range fire support, buffed by the LT. Intercessors protect the Preds from deepstrikers and camp on backfield objectives.

Completed my two Rhinos. Went way too overboard with the weathering and in future vehicles will be approached differently, having them completely built before painting was a pita

http://i66.tinypic.com/npgopz.jpg

http://i68.tinypic.com/11s2tu1.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/66dd2o.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/2zeflur.jpg

http://i68.tinypic.com/xl9qoo.jpg

Beautiful work on the Rhinos. As for excessive weathering, you can easily justify that by stating your Templars are fighting in an extended campaign, i.e., the enemy sent reinforcements, so your Techmarines focus on maintaining the tanks' drive system (so they may continue delivering Templars to the battlefield, where they may destroy enemies of the Imperium- where the tanks themselves may destroy enemies via ramming attacks) instead of making the vehicles look pretty, and your Neophytes can't help wash the tank because their time is better spent killing enemies of the Imperium, or preparing to kill enemies (rest- NO RELAXATION- so their bodies are ready for another day of battle, repairing and maintaining weapons so they'll work when needed).

Your army isn't one of Emperor's Children wannabes (Ultramarines), after all.

I wanted them to look as if they were in a desert environment to tie in with the bases on the rest of my models, I had my first attempt with weathering pigments and I'm quite happy with the dust effect. It's the battle damage I'm not happy with, I tried the sponge chipping but it just wasn't really creating any effect (I was doing it over a gloss coat, if that would have any effect?) so I just used a brush but it just looks a bit clunky and unrefined

Archived