Post-Faq Assassins

I'm wondering if anybody has had any luck with assassins since the FAQ dropped. I used to use (I'm the best with words) them but being limited to dropping the killy ones off on turn 2+ really hurt them. Now, I find that only the vindicare (who I never deep struck) and the culexus (who really just wants to stand in front anyway) are the only worthwhile ones. It makes me feel bad for my poor eversor and calidus operatives.

I have 3 Vindicares, 4 eversors, 3 Calidus and 3 Culexus assassins. They are a mixture of old models restored, labour of love conversions, and the ‘newer’ models.

In a game system that’s essentially over by turn 3 the Assassins are struggling to gain a place in my army lists these days. Vindicares will break your heart if you roll a 1. Any well screened army will make calidus and eversors redundant as they can’t get at the high priority units they’re supposed to hunt, and Culexus’ Is really for niche units.

Looking at my thousand odd points of assassins makes me sad right now.

I havent really noticed any difference to my vindicares post faq, though their role isnt really to deep strike like the others.

Being on 1st turn gives them their chance to do something rught away, even if its just to scare an opponents characters into hiding in sub optimal positions, especially as they cant rely on thr cover strat to help them or the rest of their army against it. Still finding fielding 1 or 2 is a waste of time. 3 is necessary to down a character because you know youre going to roll nothing but 1s on that Dd3. And if you do get that elusive 6 to wound chamce at Dd6; your opponent is going to get that lucky 6+ armour save and break your heart.

Archived