After years of waiting...

Marshal Loss

Deep striking slaaneshi plasma terminators firing twice with cacophony and maybe a buff from prescience or rerolls from abby were pretty decent in the early days of the codex, before people learned how to properly bubble wrap and deep striking units got pushed back into turn two.

Sadly, I dont see those days making much of a comeback any time soon. Terminators not being a particularly effective unit to begin with is another factor leading me to not feel super compelled to upgrade to the new models, at least not in the short term.

Deep striking slaaneshi plasma terminators firing twice with cacophony and maybe a buff from prescience or rerolls from abby were pretty decent in the early days of the codex, before people learned how to properly bubble wrap and deep striking units got pushed back into turn two.

Sadly, I dont see those days making much of a comeback any time soon. Terminators not being a particularly effective unit to begin with is another factor leading me to not feel super compelled to upgrade to the new models, at least not in the short term.

*before people learned that Obliterators are even better. :P

Obliterators being better was a consequence of people learning to bubblewrap. If you could reliably get those combi plasmas in double tap range of important targets, then I'd personally prefer the reliable plasma statline over the less reliable, cp-hungry oblit weapons.

But as it is, iblits can usually deep strike in ideal fire range of preferred targets, where plasmanators usually can't so that's just that. Even then, though, the restrictions on deep striking mean I'm personally more inclined to just deplot my oblits these days, so the classic black legion speartip deep strike just doesnt happen.

In fact, there's even a new 'speartip' stratagem for black legion that can't be effectively used by any deep striking unit due to only working in the first turn. Bluh.

Anyway, yeah, deep alpha strikes were a thing for chaos terminators for a few nice minutes in early 8e, but right now not so much. Maybe the new vigilus stuff will find a way to change that, but if it has we havent seen it yet.

The BL strategem only limits you to being the closest unit to the enemy, not what you shoot at. That could be a nice little thing I wish I could use with Alpha Legion...

New Terminators look absolutely amazing. I will be doing everything I can to make them work regardless of rules.

Well we now have a Chapter Master Equiv that can drop with them if he is the warlord or supporting our warlord from the Bringers of Despair! 

At the very least their guns will hit super hard on the turn they drop. 

I share much of the above sentiments regarding terminator effectiveness. 

Though lovely, that unit is an afterthought, I will most likely get them *eventually* but right now getting a ton of new plastic marines, and abbadon, the discordant, and a new apostle and sorcerer along with several boxes of havocs! 

Owe...my fragile wallet. 

The Bringers of Despair detachment looks interesting. It's really trying to encourage you to take a few units of Terminators, led by a Terminator character, and take the Chosen of Abaddon trait for the rerolls. I could even see it working: the beta bolter rules don't really care about bubble wrap if you can still dakka at full effect from 24" away.

Yeah, I like it so far. We can also expect another strat and a relic to go along with them.

Beta bolter is nice on termies in theory, but combi bolters are anti chaff weapons, so the ability to fire past the screens kind of goes to waste there, since the screens are what those weapons want to be shooting at to begin with.

CSM getting the rotor cannon is cool, it means that kit is basically a dual-purpose CSM/Havoc kit.  Sad to see no new terminator lord as that's the old guy up there, but he's not a bad model and I think he's built comparable to the new termies so could be alright.

The article just went live: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/03/20/20th-mar-heretic-astartes-focus-the-night-lordsgw-homepage-post-1/

CSMNightLordsFocus-Mar20-TerrorTactics6z

CSMNightLordsFocus-Mar20-HostRaptoral3yx

CSMNightLordsFocus-Mar20-TerrorStrike4kx

CSMNightLordsFocus-Mar20-VisciousDescent

Pretty underwhelming to be honest.

It's nice that Warp Talons and Jump Pack HQs get the Host Raptorial keyword as well, however the Stratagems are pretty crap. It's not like CSM were lacking ways to stack LD debuffs and Vicious Descent is pretty much useless without having a way to increase the chances of a Warp Talon unit or a JP Lord to make the charge after coming in from reserves so most of the time it just makes you waste 1CP for nothing.

Yeah, I just saw those and I was very underwhelmed too. Unless the detachment's warlord trait is something amazing (like a reroll failed charge bubble), the Host Raptorial feels doa. Reroll hits isn't all that exciting on a dedicated melee unit where everyone only has a single attack base...

At this stage I have absolutely 0 positive expectations about the rules in Vigilus Ablaze. Spectacular models, but my god, how GW continually gets it so wrong I will never understand.

That being said I'll inevitably be buying a ton of them, as will virtually all of us, which is presumably why they never learn from their many mistakes. C'mon rules team.

Not shocked we have seen the same pattern with IW this is a low effort release.  Management most likely denied any requests for a larger rewrite and push that off to a magical day known as "Some Day" and re-tasked the manpower to another project. 

It still shocks me how even game store owners use the excuse "well it was not selling", and most of us gamers reply, "You never gave us a good reason to buy it as it functioned poorly in my games".

Not shocked we have seen the same pattern with IW this is a low effort release.  Management most likely denied any requests for a larger rewrite and push that off to a magical day known as "Some Day" and re-tasked the manpower to another project. 

It still shocks me how even game store owners use the excuse "well it was not selling", and most of us gamers reply, "You never gave us a good reason to buy it as it functioned poorly in my games".

GW seems to think the models alone will sell, always have for over 10 years now.

Archived