After years of waiting...

Marshal Loss

I have a bit of a question for any folks that have the Shadowspear boxed set. Does the Daemonkin Codex include a painting guide for the new scheme GW are using for the Black Legion marines?

They put out a 'Battle-Ready Black Legion' tutorial on the YouTube channel last week but it doesn't go into much detail.

It's not quite a paint guide as such but there's a paint swatch (?) on the back of the building instruction booklet. I'll take a photo of it and upload it when I get home tonight for you dude

I have a bit of a question for any folks that have the Shadowspear boxed set. Does the Daemonkin Codex include a painting guide for the new scheme GW are using for the Black Legion marines?

They put out a 'Battle-Ready Black Legion' tutorial on the YouTube channel last week but it doesn't go into much detail.

Nope, no painting guide.  I honestly really dislike how the studio paints black.  The stark highlights on otherwise pure black just look artificial to me.  So I created my own style:  I actually paint the black a very dark gray (I use Vallejo Air Dark Panzer Grey; I tried skavenblight dinge but it's a little too light) and then I basically follow the battle-ready video.  Paint the gold and horns/bone/red stuff, wash everything with Nuln.  Since I painted the black very dark charcoal, the wash dulls it down to a not-quite-black that looks much more natural than matte black with edge highlighting.

Got any pictures? 

Nope, no painting guide.  I honestly really dislike how the studio paints black.  The stark highlights on otherwise pure black just look artificial to me.  So I created my own style:  I actually paint the black a very dark gray (I use Vallejo Air Dark Panzer Grey; I tried skavenblight dinge but it's a little too light) and then I basically follow the battle-ready video.  Paint the gold and horns/bone/red stuff, wash everything with Nuln.  Since I painted the black very dark charcoal, the wash dulls it down to a not-quite-black that looks much more natural than matte black with edge highlighting.

Got any pictures? 

I can try to take one on my potato phone later today when I am home for lunch. 

So... The World Eaters preview is up, and yeah, it's nothing special. But I'm starting to feel... I don't know, deflated? The new character falls completely flat for me aesthetically. Plus... That's how many characters we have now that only work on melee, and have no way to get there beyond a Rhino? Just like the new apostle rules. Yeah, he's got some great melee buffs to himself or others... And he moves 6". Same with our Exalted Champion. An army of beat sticks... That are two slow to get into combat. Hm.

I don't know... I can't quite articulate it. I guess it's frustration? GW is giving us all of these neat tools and without any good way to use them. Bah. Nothing is quite feeling like it 'works' ya know?

@Reyner here is the test models (the real ones may be a bit cleaner, but I am rather lazy).  The guy with the rebreather is even messier since I was experimenting on a few things with him (purple shade on the gold, Skavenblight dinge instead of my Vallejo gray, army painter dark tone instead of nuln oil, etc.).  It's a rather basic effect but I'm happy with it:

cHEzcSXm.jpg

@Scourged:

I agree with you, it feels like we are getting a lot of cool things but lacking in ways to use them properly, and GW seems to not be understanding that at all.  Which honestly is par for the course due to how the studio seems to play the game, but is no less frustrating.

So... The World Eaters preview is up, and yeah, it's nothing special. But I'm starting to feel... I don't know, deflated? The new character falls completely flat for me aesthetically. Plus... That's how many characters we have now that only work on melee, and have no way to get there beyond a Rhino? Just like the new apostle rules. Yeah, he's got some great melee buffs to himself or others... And he moves 6". Same with our Exalted Champion. An army of beat sticks... That are two slow to get into combat. Hm.

I don't know... I can't quite articulate it. I guess it's frustration? GW is giving us all of these neat tools and without any good way to use them. Bah. Nothing is quite feeling like it 'works' ya know?

At least the new guy actually looks like a beatstick. The (potential) ongoing problem is whether or not he'll have an invuln save, IMO. We at least have delivery options, bad as they may or may not be. The crappy weapons thing is solved with that axe (no negative mod to hit), but the invuln will make or break him for me.

I also don't care much for the executioner aesthetically - pose is somewhat stiff & static, skirt looks kind of flat, bone details seem chunky & cartoony - especially compared to the new greater possessed or even some of the old DV chosen models that imo did the bone armor look a lot better.  It's honestly the first of the new releases that falls flat with me in that department, though I wasn't overawed by the new apostle model either.  That doesn't really bother me too much though - there have been a ton of new releases, and for this to be the first to not work for me is still an impressive success rate.

Rules-wise, yeah, delivery and invulnerable save remain significant concerns for any duelist type CSM HQ that doesn't want to be obsolete on impact next to winged princes or even generic jump lords.  That said, the fancy axe and extra intervention range at least make it look like /more/ or a character hunter than the exalted champion currently is.  On that topic, thematically & narratively the executioner's a bit redundant with ECs, isn't it?  And it looks like the EC model has been downgraded back to squad leader status on the GW store?  Maybe the Executioner is set to just replace the exalted champion as a unit altogether.  If that's the case, I'll probably just use my existing champion model /as/ an executioner (assuming the executioner proves good enough to run in the first place), as I like that model a lot better anyway, much as I currently plan to keep using the DV mace champ as my Dark Apostle even after the new model's release.  Which, again, isn't anything I feel bitter about - that's something I plan on doing more because I love the mace champ model rather than disliking the new apostle, plus my hobby funds were already going to be stretched pretty thin by the vigilus burning book, abaddon, a lord discordant, maybe some new CSMs, maybe the stargate, etc etc.

If we really had to be stuck with a handful of new options, and no particularly meaningful revisions to existing units, I also wish that at least one of those new options had been a transport of some kind.  Maybe a more-assault-oriented rhino variant as a counterpoint to the loyalists' more-shooty-oriented rhino variant in the razorback.  Maybe a chaos land raider variant that can actually hold both a chaos terminator lord AND a terminator retinue for him /at the same time/ (shock!).  Suitably gribly and possessed in either case, of course.  maybe a teleportation gate for marines instead of a summoning gate for daemons.  Edition after edition we keep getting new stuff - yet another anti-charater melee hero stuck hoofing it to combat, yet another mid sized mixed melee/shooty walker, yet another new model kit for possessed attached to revised unit rules that somehow manage to make them even worse than before - but the developers keep stubbornly failing to give us the stuff our faction desperately needs, like functional delivery options for our half-dozen redundant power armored melee infantry units.

Bah, that's making me sound way more negative than I feel.  Again - most of the new models are fantastic, I wasn't expecting anything like this kind of model support so soon - I had expected generic CSMs to have to wait until all the cult legions were done and maybe traitor guard as well, at least another year or two out.  And I certainly wasn't expecting the problems with power armored units in general (problems not even limited to chaos marines) to be resolved before 9th edition at the earliest, those problems are baked deep down in the edition's bones.  As it is I'm super excited for the thematic and aesthetic direction the studio's taking with our faction, and for the moment that's good enough for me.

Unfounded rumors from DakkaDakka:

Lord Discordant:

12 wounds, toughness 6, 3+/4++

Rotor Cannon is supposedly move and fire S5, -1ap, 8 shots, suspect it will be a 25 point weapon, we'll see, available to CSM and Havoc squads.

Other rumors:
Black Legion Warlord traits -
Units within 6" can fall back, charge, and shoot.
Half damage a la Abaddon/Calgar/Bobby G

Stratagems:
Black Legion strat that allows you to shoot during your opponent's first movement phase, probably at the closest unit.

shame about the lord discordant if those rumors are true.  Too many wounds to avoid being picked out by enemy fire will probably lead to him not living long enough to make much use of that aura.

what, in terms of blocking all line of sight to him?  not a chance.  He's big and gangly, as are basically all of the daemon engines, no way there won't be some line of sight drawable between legs or arms or whatever.  If you play with a lot of city terrain, with closed windowless bottom floors, you might be able to block some line of sight that way, same as for anything.  Otherwise, I don't know.  I mean, he'll still be a character, presumably able to take a warlord trait & relic, might be able to boost his durability a bit that way, but then again making him your warlord only makes him a more enticing target.  You might try to rely on redundancy by fielding two of him?  Or target saturation with his engines and a prince or three in a monster mash list?

Or this rumor might be wrong, who knows.  Plus I am absolutely no expert when it comes to 8e, so my skepticism might be completely unfounded regardless.

According to images from the NZ site one of the Dark Apostle prayers is a -1 to hit for one <LEGION> unit.  So that is promising.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-NZ/Chaos-Space-Marine-Essentials

Also from the CSM sprue it looks like you get 7 bolt pistols + chainswords, 8 bolters, 1 missile launcher,1 heavy bolter, 1 each of flamer, meltagun, plasma gun, plasma pistol, 1 power axe, 1 power maul and 1 power fist.  So you cannot build a squad with only bolters or only pistols+chainswords without taking a special/heavy weapon and a champion.

Yeah, the more I learn, the more I can't wait to get my Kytan assembled. This release is going to completely change the Warband I'm going to build compared to how I was composing my current Back Legion force. I suspect I'll end up filling out the armoured cavalry theme that I had first planned, but now I want to go all in on the Chaos Marines heavily supported by Dark Mechanicus theme so much more. The ideas aren't mutually exclusive, but the first wasn't meant to be so overtly daemonic as the second demands. Oh well, I guess it's just more of an excuse to do both.

Reviews are coming in...

Lord Disco confirmed 12 wounds. 

Rotor Cannon is Heavy 8 S5 AP -1 D1, 20 or 25 points. 

Havocs can move and fire without penalty and might have T5 from what I'm hearing, only come in units of 5.  A unit of 5 with 4x of the rotor cannons seems terrifying.

Cultists lost legion traits, still have VOTLW.

Nocilith Crown is a Fort with T8 and 14 wounds. All psykers within 6" suffers perils on any doubles, Chaos not affected. All Chaos units wholly within 6" has a 5+ invol (note it does not say enemy, so when fighting other chaos armies their units are not affected by the first but benefit from the latter). The range of the aura is increased by 3" per turn. 100 points.

Not worth that IMHO as it takes up a detachment choice when you're doing the 3 detachment limit (which I've only ever seen people use)

Archived