After years of waiting...

Marshal Loss

spoiler for largish image:

tumblr_pkvdziFlLH1r6zyzc_1280.jpg

More signs of a forthcoming Black Legion release. I’m still skeptical of the rumored idea of a separate Black Legion codex, both in terms of being skeptical that that's what's actually happening, as opposed to black legion just getting some focus in a campaign release, and skeptical of it being a good idea even if it does happen.  I still feel like it would have been better to finish out the cult legions first and save the big black legion releases for a revamp of the base CSM codex proper after that, even if it did mean waiting an extra year or so, but that said ...

I absolutely cannot help but get excited for models as cool as this for my preferred faction. I don’t know what this guy is - new named character? Sorcerer? Dark Apostle? Some sort of combination of the two?  In all likelihood this is either a named black legion sorcerer or an new generic chaos sorcerer model, but regardless of what exactly it represents in game, I know I want one.

I absolutely cannot help but get excited for models as cool as this for my preferred faction. I don’t know what this guy is - new named character? Sorcerer? Dark Apostle? Some sort of combination of the two?  In all likelihood this is either a named black legion sorcerer or an new generic chaos sorcerer model, but regardless of what exactly it represents in game, I know I want one.

I can only echo that sentiment. What a model! Not sure how I feel about him floating, but I'm sure that can be fixed if the need arises. I think that guy's a step up from the Haarken model designwise - I can only hope that this also goes for his usefulness on the tabletop...

Given how much better jump sorcerers are than regular style - particularly since we /still/ don't have non-FW transports capable of moving a full squad of 10 (or the now ubiquitous two squads of 5) *and* an independant character - I personally think that floating pose is just begging for a backpack swap with either a raptor jump pack or one of the winged possessed packs.  You'd sadly lose those nice flaming skull trophy spikes in the conversion, but it's not like that's a bit that would go to waste.  Slap that sucker on the DV chosen champ with the power maul that everyone already uses as a dark apostle to really sell the counts-as.

I'd bet against us getting a Black Legion codex. But with the news that Index Astartes alternates between 40k - Sigmar - 40k (etc), that would mean that March is a 40k slot, and perhaps indicates a possible Index Astartes: Black Legion release in the same month as Vigilus part II drops with Abaddon and pals.

The only real question now is whether we're getting new units alongside these characters. Characters are great, and this is all extremely promising, but the Chaos range needs a full overhaul, not a lick of paint. But I'm sure GW know this.

Given how much better jump sorcerers are than regular style - particularly since we /still/ don't have non-FW transports capable of moving a full squad of 10 (or the now ubiquitous two squads of 5) *and* an independant character - I personally think that floating pose is just begging for a backpack swap with either a raptor jump pack or one of the winged possessed packs.  You'd sadly lose those nice flaming skull trophy spikes in the conversion, but it's not like that's a bit that would go to waste.  Slap that sucker on the DV chosen champ with the power maul that everyone already uses as a dark apostle to really sell the counts-as.

I'd probably just model some arcane aura stuff on his base and say that he can fly thanks to magic. That lets me use him just as fine as footslogging sorcerer for when GW takes the JP option away for good.

I'm looking at all these new Chaos character models and thinking you, like that bit, want to change that bit, switch that bit and so forth, the more of them that come out the more I want to swap parts between them so current plans:

Obvious Mallex with the new guy's backpack and staff head and a head swap to create a revised version of my word bearers Dark apostle.

New guy plus haarken's jump pack and either Mallex's hammer head for a chaos smash captain look or a staff head from the thousand suns range to make a jump sorcerer.

I'm sure that as more of this range is revealed then more ideas will arrive. I do believe there will be more of a range in time as there is clearly a design language that he are applying consistently to these models that would indicate they are developing a range rather than just one offs.

As an aside I have a hunch that Mallex will get a standalone release in due course as he is the only model in Blackstone fortress on his own sprue so would be easy to stick in a blister.

I suspect that the new model will be another named guy for Black Legion. Maybe in Vigilus 2.

I'm hopeful for a Chaos Space Marines codex revamp, but we could be going into the realm of codex supplements again now that basically all of the actual codexes are going to be out soon.

Since this seems to be the place for reading signs and numerology... could t help but notice 13 visible skulls on this guy, 14 if that’s one in his hand. Correspondence to the black crusades?

Jes Goodwin even made fun of the number of skulls they use in GW's own podcast ;)

This is a very cool model. Likely to be a sorcerer of some kind, since he's levitating and all, and the flaming skull seems too specific to be a generic character. Zaraphiston or Ygethmor, maybe? Khayon says both are titles rather than names.

Either way, probably be a few weeks before we learn any more about him.

Rules-wise or model-wise? Because I like the model quite a bit even if his rules are barely worth mentioning. ^^

Rules.  The model is really cool, just his rules are so bad that I really question what the hell GW was thinking even printing them.  Like what did they actually expect him to do with such lackluster stats?  If his spear had a good melee profile, he might have been like a cool hero hunter.  But they didn't even GIVE it a melee profile for some crazy reason.  

Boggles the mind.

It's not like his profile is that bad. It's slightly better than a dual claw lord. It's just that it's really just that. He's barely more than a regular lord and his buff aura unfortunately happens to target a unit that's pretty bad currently. If Raptors were good he'd be a much more interesting choice.

I agree on the spear tho. I expected a lot more of it. I'd be fine with it being a ranged weapon even if it had good stats.

Archived