Sons of Horus 14th Company - New Infantry Units

Hello everyone,

this is my first attempt at a hobby/gaming project log, I thought it would be a good way to keep me on track with my army and to share my growing Sons of Horus army. I have been very inspired by other blogs such as Cadmus Tyro's Alpha Legion & Iron Hands http://www.bolterand...legion-wip-log/

I am by no means a good painter, my stuff is just about tabletop standard but I enjoy building and painting and am looking to improve my skill set, hopefully with some suggestions from you guys :smile.:

I have taken a few pictures to get started, apologies for the amateur photography skills!

Maloghurst the Twisted

20181103-123245.jpg

Veteran Tactical Squad Urshaddon

20181103-123137.jpg

Cortus-Class Contemptor Gharvilon

20181103-124236.jpg

Leviathan Dreadnought Var

20181103-124313.jpg

Delegatus Raxhal 

20181103-124848.jpg

and finally, a cataphractii terminator I have been working on

20181103-123756.jpg

I have quite a few other units, but they're not quite finished yet. 

I am just starting a campaign with 6 or 7 other players using narrative ZM missions which has been really fun, I will be sure to put up pics of our next game later this month. 

Thanks for taking the time to look through my blog, I welcome and feedback and suggestions, particularly for weathering!

Edited by Varyn

Always awesome to see another Sons of Horus company, and it's shaping up real nice, mate!  The colours work perfectly good, and I really rather like the heads you got for the vet squad.  Aaaye no worries about painting or photography, both just take a bit of time and practice and you can always go over anything from before, eh!  

And like the others said, the Delegatus is ace.  Great pose, intimidating, looks different enough to really be noticeable. 

So where ya planning to go from here, eh? 

Edited by Vykes

thanks for the comments guys :smile.:

Vykes; I have a couple more units which are almost done:

- 8 vets with combi-volkite

- 6 heavy support marines with missile launders

I also have 10 reavers with jump packs which I'll add pictures for tomorrow; didn't want to put too much up at once!

I have a few units which I'll be building next week; Justaerin, tactical support marines, seekers and some catulan reavers

Our campaign has been focusing on small games in ZM for now, so I am trying to get more infantry to give my lists some variety. Below is a pic from our last game, sorry it's a bit small!

You can see Cadmus Tyro's fantastic Alpha Legion in the middle and my reavers on the left if you look closely!

20181024-191907.jpg

Edited by Varyn

Hah, sounds right good mate!  Can't wait to see that group, got a few heavy support missiles goin' on myself, so it's always great to see that it's not just las cannons and plasma cannons around. Jump reavers are always cool and that sounds like some good fun stuff in reserve.  I personally like seeing how people do seekers, a unit that I'll admit I probably like a little too much (Tempest rounds in ZM, oye).  Everyone's take seems to be a little different and that's what's great. 

Eeeh, it's all cool.  Yeah, Cadmus Tyro's definitely got to be one of the big motivational ones here too :smile.: Awesome to see some seekers and Tyro's Alpha's fighting ZM.  Looks terrific!  

Speak o' the devil and look who appears, two minutes before me :P 

Edited by Vykes

@Cadmus; I've got 4 more justaerin to build :) 

@Vykes; I haven't got much mileage out of my missile support squad, but they're a solid choice in The Long March and I haven't got many of the 'big toys' for heavy support yet so there isn't much competition for heavy support slots

I have included a picture of my jump pack reavers and the combi-volkite vets, both units need some details finishing, but not far off

Takaddon's Reavers

20181104-112210.jpg

Veteran Squad Rassek (sergeant and 1 more veteran to be added)

20181104-112340.jpg

thanks for all the comments so far, I'm building a unit of Catulan reavers and Justaerin today

Thanks for all the comments guys :) 

I've been busy building this week, trying to get a few units finished so I can base coat them all at once with the airbrush.

Up first is a tactical support squad with flamers and extra CC weapons, I figure these will be fun in ZM and I might try them in an Anvillus dreadclaw sometime too!

20181108-212827.jpg

next is a unit of reavers, I was torn between veterans and reavers, I know that veterans are probably the more points efficient choice, but I think these will look cool with chain axes on their backs and I may even paint them as catulan reavers to break up the green a bit. (couple more to add to the unit)

20181108-212901.jpg

finally, a seeker. 4 more of these chaps to build, decided to go for MKVI as they'll stand out more, plus there was plenty of MKVI armour to loot on Isstvan V!

20181108-212918.jpg

still got my Justaerin to finish building too, hopefully I can get these power armoured units base coated for our next campaign game at the end of the month

Oh man, lookin' right good and proper Varyn, dude!  Mk. VI armour is still probably my favourite and seeing a full on group of seekers in beaky plate with the full enhanced optics kit is gonna be great.  Still , those reavers in mk. V plate really look the part, I don't think I can unsee that kind of armour just being 'right' for them.  Gah, curses, must not fall to the temptation of ... -taps open the forgeworld tab-

It's all shaping up pretty awesome.  Hope you can get a few shots of that next campaign game for us, eh! 

I had to go through a few sites to find them Cadmus! worth it though, they make the difference and feel right for seekers. I've got all 5 built and primed now, hoping to get the green done this week.

Thanks Pearson, my standard reavers in green don't get much game time nowadays, but the unit in MKV will be catulan reavers (black), just need to attach the chainaxes to the backpacks and add a few more accessories before I start painting them

thanks for the kind words Vykes, I'm really excited to get them on the table, I've got exactly 2 weeks to get the seekers and support squad painted (I optimistically put them both into my 750 ZM list for the next game). 

Our next game is a 2v2v2v2 ZM campaign mission (written by Cadmus and another friend), I will be working with Cadmus' Alpha Legion, attempting to destroy a space station and kill some lowly human commander under the protection of the Raven Guard 

• 4 weeks later...

Finally I'm back!

Unfortunately I have been very busy with work and my crappy £10 airbrush broke. I've just got a new Harder & Steenbeck Ultra airbrush which I'm really pleased with. 

I've just finished my legion terminators and I've based coated my seekers and a flamer support squad, hoping to get those 2 units finished over the Christmas break. Got a 2,000 point game tomorrow and will try and take lots of pictures to post up here :) 

thanks for all the feedback so far, going to try and post more regular updates

20181211-194938.jpg

• 2 years later...

It's been a while (over 2 years!), but I have some progress on my Sons of Horus. I've been on a bit of a hobby break for a while due and covid has made life a bit more complicated!

I have been working on some Emperor's Children (in a blog in the Age of Darkness forum) and I've taken a break on them to revisit my Sons of Horus.

I am planning to finish off a few existing units and to add some new units to give me some more options.

Here is the latest addition, a melta support squad:

20210119-204040.jpg

I have also recently built an esoterist, I've been wanting to get the WS praetor model for a while and it turned up in my advent calendar last month!

20210119-204128.jpg

20210119-204118.jpg

I am currently working on a javelin and I've got a few more units in the pipeline. 

Hopefully it won't be 2 years until my next update!

Nice to see some more of these guys, I think @MegaVolt87 makes a good point, some blue heat stains might also look good on the barrels. 

Big fan of that Praetor too, cool pose!

Edited by Pearson73

Going well, my only complaint is you used the same metallic for the melta barrels as the armour trims.I would switch that to a different one for the melta's barrels to break up the colour pallet.

One of the perils of the project spanning so many years - I didn't notice that the colours were the same until I'd finished painting them! It wouldn't take long to re-do the barrels and I think it will be worthwhile. Thanks for the feedback :)

Corpus, Pearson, Prim & Bjorn; thanks for the kind words, it's a big help with motivation to carve out time for painting!