little hope in CA for GK's

newdigitalGK

I think a point reduction will turn our army problems into nice normal strengths and weaknesses! Especially if theyre as sweeping as it says.

Once we're fairly priced we'll be able to use supplementary units to accomodate our weaknesses, or dog pile on our strengths till it doesnt matter

I think a point reduction will turn our army problems into nice normal strengths and weaknesses! Especially if theyre as sweeping as it says.

Once we're fairly priced we'll be able to use supplementary units to accomodate our weaknesses, or dog pile on our strengths till it doesnt matter

This man gets it.

Well, I said I’d be straight on to admit I was wrong if Grey Knights got addressed in Chapter Approved so here I am. Whether the changes are enough remains to be seen but hopefully making a point of mentioning it in the article means it won’t be just a token gesture.

Fingers crossed.

So do we think there will be any changes aside from points??

Personally I think paladins need a 4++, min squad size of 5 and maybe a rule similar to deathshroud termis, being able to intercept attacks aimed at our GMNDK.

I don’t think a 4++ save would be too much, because sanctuary will still be cast on the GMNDK.

Also, we should have a unit that is geared towards CC more so then others. As it stands all of our units perform the same function. I don’t really have any ideas lol, but we have a single warlord trait to help us into combat and that’s it!

I know it’s been mentioned, but characters have regular smite would be awesome as well lol.

Are you guys hoping for some specific rule

Changes?? Or just waiting to see the point reductions??

I honestly cannot get to understand *how* GK can manage to become viable to play with only a pt reduction when they basically have a gamestyle *against* the edition basic rules :)

- First of all, with near each and every playable GK unit being able to DS on the battlefield there is no exception to DS'ing only half of your army (in units *and* pts now) and from the 2nd game turn only, in a meta which is dominated by fire, hordes and ways to rapidly cover the field (just think to armies like the Guard being potentially able to double-move 6 Troops per turn - and no, pls don't come out with the "actually they will get a pt increase" argument, because that will all but prevent the possibility); and DS is basically all the mobility GK have, since they may otherwise rely on regular SM transports and *one* attempt of casting only (with massive pt drop the cheap transports might actually become viable, but the point of having rule slots occupied by nearly-unplayable rules remains);

- second, the ability of being all psykers with only 6 possibilities to cast stuff other than Smite + the remaining Smites being nerfed to uselessness for the current meta is another "occupy rule slots at random" that needs to be mitigated in some ways - the vowed baby-Smite powered up to regular/adolescent is something for sure, but helps little to negligible without at least a second power table "à la TS" (e.g. Librarius) that may help to improve GK playability to decent levels (just think about the power to get additional movement and/or the power to go first in CQC).

Not to mention that all of the nerfs above (DS, Smite's increasing difficulty that was fixed only 6 months later like "oh sorry, we didn't realize that GK still existed in WH40K") occurred *because of somebody else's faults* (e.g. Smite bombs, Flyrants, etc.). Therefore, as long as I don't see these changes in effect (or equivalent, game-wide modifications) I cannot even imagine a profitable playability of GK in the current meta, even with massive pt drop (GK are simply going to lose with more stuff on the battlefield) :)

More than happy to be positively surprised by GW of course! :)

I honestly cannot get to understand *how* GK can manage to become viable to play with only a pt reduction when they basically have a gamestyle *against* the edition basic rules :smile.:

[...]

Well that's incredibly easy. Lower the points enough and they'll become good just like anything else. 18ppm is too much for a Grey Knight? Well how about 13? 8? 4? It wouldn't feel like a Space Marine army anymore but they'd definitely be viable. If you lower it enough they'd even become broken lol

“Matched play fans have been scrutinising the new points from the book..”

I would love to know if these people were available for comment!

Points reductions were always going to be a great thing but I hope that CA will also include stratagem CP cost reductions as well. I still think there are core issues that will need to be addressed but hopefully we’ll be able to move forward from this point..

Saw this and wanted to share. Take away: “GKs won’t be getting the primaris treatment” Here’s the link if anyone wants to check it out.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Warhammer40k/comments/a00l09/i_was_at_the_vigilus_weekender_and_live_reported/?st=JOW5DY2E&sh=90574365

I honestly cannot get to understand *how* GK can manage to become viable to play with only a pt reduction when they basically have a gamestyle *against* the edition basic rules :smile.:

[...]

Well that's incredibly easy. Lower the points enough and they'll become good just like anything else. 18ppm is too much for a Grey Knight? Well how about 13? 8? 4? It wouldn't feel like a Space Marine army anymore but they'd definitely be viable. If you lower it enough they'd even become broken lol

Yes, this is certainly a thing (as long as their power isn't binary), but as you said, they won't feel like Grey Knights any more. This is the main reason why I'm against point reductions. I'd rather they stay expensive but get additional rules and abilities. Rules should be aimed at representing them, while still being balanced.

Overheard in Dischord. No clue how accurate this is.

"For Grey Knights, Paladins are now 34 points, Terminators are 26 points and Strike Squads are 15 points."

Putting aside the question of validity, it got me thinking what I could do with units at this cost.

If I wanted to go mono-GKs, I can do 2 Batallions for 13 CPs (5 for each battalion + 3 for playing.)

If I wanted to use GK as Deep-Striking Heavy Infantry for a Guard Armor Detachment, I could probably do 3 Batallions for 18 CPs.

That's a big change.

"For Grey Knights, Paladins are now 34 points, Terminators are 26 points and Strike Squads are 15 points."

Putting aside the question of validity, it got me thinking what I could do with units at this cost.

If I wanted to go mono-GKs, I can do 2 Batallions for 13 CPs (5 for each battalion + 3 for playing.)

If I wanted to use GK as Deep-Striking Heavy Infantry for a Guard Armor Detachment, I could probably do 3 Batallions for 18 CPs.

That's a big change.

That sounds far too good to be true.

Wow....GKTs everywhere. Every GK infantry gets in their TDA now (except the Interceptors, I still need you for the FA slots)!  

That's a big change.

That sounds far too good to be true.

Let's assume it's not entirely accurate. But points changes are coming.

Grey Knights are an entirely different army with more bodies and enough CPs to actually use our Stratagems. Just thinking about the impact some small changes would have.

I mean like, strikes are so much better than sisters/Scions/marines, so even if Marines get dropped to 10 pts (which I am against) we're still talking +5 pts for a +1 psychic denial, double the fire power, deepstrike, and melee weapons with ap-3 d3 damage. You would never take Tacticals ever again.

I really don't think these rumors are true, the price decrease of what, six points a model, are true.

Archived