What ever happened to the Vigil Opertii?

alfred_the_great

We don't really know right now but it seems likely there is some sort of organisation(s) that acts as intelligence service and secret police.

I can't remember from Dark Imperium whether Calgar received information from such an organisation based on such a formation.

Did a little research myself..... the Vigil Operatii is an interesting idea and although it might disturb some and give smiles to others (Ultramar detractors) that Big Bobby G would set up a organization with such sinister overtones, it actually makes perfect sense given the dangerous environment of the Imperium. Although I've found no reference to the VO in Dark Imperium or any other 40K lit, if it had not survived in the 40K period (I'd be quite surprised if it didn't) I'm sure the Primarch would waste no time resurrecting it.

Curious:happy.:..... Brother alfred, where you planning on doing something with the VO? I think such a organization adds some real color and edge to the Ultramar lore.... great fiction and gaming potential there:yes: I think I'll put together a squad for Kill Team. Thanks for bring up the subject.

If you haven't seen this, you might find it useful:

https://possiblyhereticalultramarine.tumblr.com/post/171327489262/the-flaws-of-ultramar

Well, given "grimdark", the obvious question is, what insidious corruption would one find in the examplar of the Imperium that is Ultramar? Where and how would humanity's basest instincts come to the fore? More importantly, would the Chapter Master of the UM hand these kinds of things over to the Arbites and =][= or would he hand them over to the VO and keep them "in house"?

The potential for hypocrisy and cant is obvious, and much more interesting than the "smurf" stereotype. Just think, how would an Ultramarine react if the chaos cultist they were targeting was in their home planet...?

There was insurrection on Maccragge in Dark Imperium so it's logical that the threats to peace and stability in a domestic sense would be there. I like to think the VO would exist if not in name...

Good point Brother Captain:yes: ……. totally forgot about that. It also seems logical that if the VO still existed, they might have been instrumental in rooting it out and reporting it to the Chapter Master.

Well, given "grimdark", the obvious question is, what insidious corruption would one find in the examplar of the Imperium that is Ultramar? Where and how would humanity's basest instincts come to the fore? More importantly, would the Chapter Master of the UM hand these kinds of things over to the Arbites and =][= or would he hand them over to the VO and keep them "in house"?

The potential for hypocrisy and cant is obvious, and much more interesting than the "smurf" stereotype. Just think, how would an Ultramarine react if the chaos cultist they were targeting was in their home planet...?

Well said Brother alfred...…. I imagine the VO working closely with all security forces, including the Inquisition. They would probably have agents (maybe with official designation) within the PDF and Arbites. They may even have agents working directly with the local office of the Inquisition. Given that the VO is strictly a arm of Ultramar security I would think that they (through the direction of the Chapter Master) would generally deal with "problems" in house whenever practical.

Are there even Adeptus Arbites on Macragge/Ultramar? I'd thought those worlds would come under the Adeptus Astartes, not Adeptus Terra? I mean, there's no Adeptus Arbites wandering around on Fenris or Baal.

As for where the corruption would come up, just take a look at our current society. There's always traders who want more, and form cartels/insider trading, allowing for Tzeentch/Slaanesh to whisper. There's always the murderers, who might attract the attention of Khorne. Hell, in such a militarized society, I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't several sub-cults that are starting to veer dangerously close to Khorne worship amongst the native populations, where Khorne can whisper to those who failed to become Astartes that there are other paths to strength, that others see their value even if the Emperor has not...

"Are there even Adeptus Arbites on Macragge/Ultramar? I'd thought those worlds would come under the Adeptus Astartes, not Adeptus Terra? I mean, there's no Adeptus Arbites wandering around on Fenris or Baal." Lord_Caerolion

Good point.... so, no Adeptus Arbites. This makes it even easier for the VO to be attached to security services in whatever way they deem necessary.

Archived