Gaunt’s Ghosts: Anarch

So stoked for Anarch! About to start rereading Warmaster in preparation. Not going to re-read Blood Pact and Salvation's Reach as it was only last year when I re-read every GG book in prep for Warmaster coming out (and jolly good fun it was reading them all back-to-back along with Double Eagle and Titanicus - all in chronological order plus all related shorts).

Are you intending to read it at some point? Because it really is worth reading spoiler free. It's that good.

Yes I will, but I don't care about spoilers. I already have my suspicions about what might be going on, and wanted to know how far off I was.

I’m curious as to what your theory is. Let me know what it is and I’ll tell you what the actual deal is, unless you have got it!

A few notes from the Adeptus Titanicus FB group via someone who was there, boding pretty well for the future of the game!

Information I learned today talking to designers at open day. Again this is just what they said and as we know schedules etc change all the time in this industry

• Titandeath (first AT supplement) will be available in a few weeks time along with the new Reaver and transfers. The weapon packs for the titans will be another couple of weeks after that..

• The Warbringer Titan will make it into AT but not for another 2+ years as they have everything mapped out for that length of time they may do xenos but only if they move timeline to 40k such as beast arises era. If so this is At least 5+ years away. They are looking at chaos titans in current window and FW are probably doing upgrade packs at some point

Dan Abnett said he's started work on a sequel to his Titanicus book.

I mean a shame about the Warbringer, was looking forward to the non-Nemesis version but new Abnett on titans? Goddamn.

Also! Garro put up a photo of Hvarl Redblade, the HH Space Wolves character that FW revealed before christmas, leaving everyone unimpressed: https://www.facebook.com/Garro30k/photos/rpp.1075690975784831/2119280501425868/?type=3&theater Looks quite a bit better. Body's still nothing special but the axe is nice and that's a decent and distinctive head. Looks like a lot of the issue was indeed the paintjob.

Not sure if OK to cross quote from different forums but look at this ^

Abnett is writing a follow up to Titanicus!!!!!!!!!!! If this is true then THAT has made me even more excited. Over next couple of years it means we get Anarch, Penitent, Pandeamonium, Interceptor City, 2 x HH books and a Titanicus book! Wow, just wow!

EDIT to add - this was in the Open Day thread on the news and rumours forum.

Edited by DukeLeto69

I have asked Dan on Twitter if this is true but no response (actually neither he or Nik have posted anything in Twitter since October so maybe that channel is dead).

I can't see this Titanicus thing being true (despite wishing it was). He has never mentioned it before while he has most certainly mentioned Penitent, Pandaemonium and Interceptor City in recent interviews.

Maybe the person on the Titanicus Facebook got the wrong end of the stick? Maybe Dan wants to write and intends to write a follow up but isn't just yet? Or "staring work on..." Doesn't necessarily mean started writing. He could be planning it out?

Whatever, I WISH it was true (as long as it doesn't impact on the other three LOL)

Edited by DukeLeto69

Strange, this is out / up for preorder now and they are now going with Hardback and Ebook only, whereas on the previous preorder/coming soon page, they also advertised an audiobook edition.

I was hoping they'd get back into the groove with audios about now, but it looks like they canceled or delayed almost everything that had an intended audio release since late November. What are you doing, BL...

Strange, this is out / up for preorder now and they are now going with Hardback and Ebook only, whereas on the previous preorder/coming soon page, they also advertised an audiobook edition.

I was hoping they'd get back into the groove with audios about now, but it looks like they canceled or delayed almost everything that had an intended audio release since late November. What are you doing, BL...

They are struggling on a lot of fronts I think.  I sent them an email asking if the price increase for eBooks was a permanent thing, got no response.

I mean for sure I still think everyone should get this novel in eBook or whatever format, but lately buying from BL just makes me irritated.  I know they only increased the price a dollar but they already charged ridic prices for eBooks.

It is unfortunate that BL can't learn the lesson GW main seems to have learned, that you can in fact push people to dislike an awesome product through bad business.

I mean, there've been omnibuses all along, only the Victory arc didn't have one yet as it wasn't completed. I'm still in that weird spot where I don't know if I want to buy The Victory Part 1 of the new editions while owning The Founding, The Saint and The Lost in their old, original omnibus editions with different layouts. I like uniformity, but I'm not sure I'm willing to spend 45-60€ rebuying omnibuses to match.

So I am halfway through my re-read of Warmaster in prep for Anarch and just loving it. Last year I re-read all the GG novels, the two anthologies and Double Eagle and Titanicus in prep for Warmaster. I wasn't going to do ALL of those again (although reading everything back-to-back and chronologically was a blast).

https://www.trackofwords.com/2019/01/16/rapid-fire-dan-abnett-talks-anarch/

Pop over to trackofwords for great interview with Dan Abnett. However, wanted to copy over this extract because...yay!

ToW: What can you tell us about what you’re working on next for Black Library?

DA: Another Sabbat project, plus the next of the Bequin books (Penitent), the long awaited second book of the third ‘Inquisitor trilogy’. That’s well underway, but I might have to pause it because my next big scheduled job is The Siege of Terra for the Horus Heresy. That will be very schedule-sensitive…and a very big deal indeed.

Thanks for the link to the interview DukeLeto69:thumbsup:  Looks like lots of tasty 40K dishes from Mr. Dan over the next few months, years, decades......:drool:

I'm stoked for Anarch:yes:….. his longest book yet according to Mr. Dan. To me, that's a good sign. I've generally found his longer books to be better structured as far as story telling goes..... no abrupt story threads or dead end threads. Blood Pact was the last one that completely satisfied me on a story telling and structural level. Don't get me wrong (IMO even his bad stuff is good)...…. I enjoyed both Salvation's Reach and The Warmaster but they both seemed a bit rushed...… And before anyone says anything, I totally get the "To Be Continued" aspect:wink:

I guess that means that at this point, we're not assured Penitent will actually come out this year.

Yeah this is really bittersweet. More Sabbat Worlds is great news. Wonder if it is Interceptor City or the newly rumoured follow up to Titanicus. Of course it could be another anthology! BUT another delay to Penitent just sucks! THAT was THE book (beside Anarch) I was most looking forward to and hoped for this year!

Pop over to trackofwords for great interview with Dan Abnett. However, wanted to copy over this extract because...yay!

DA: Another Sabbat project, plus the next of the Bequin books (Penitent), the long awaited second book of the third ‘Inquisitor trilogy’. That’s well underway, but I might have to pause it because my next big scheduled job is The Siege of Terra for the Horus Heresy. That will be very schedule-sensitive…and a very big deal indeed.

I guess that means that at this point, we're not assured Penitent will actually come out this year.

On the subject of Penitent, I was absurdly lucky enough to have almost an our long chat with Abnett over tea at BL weekender(as everyone else seemed to be missing the point of the tea with the authors segment). I did ask him about Penitent and 'Alpharius' specifically. He said that it would be revealed who 'Alpharius' is and he then just kind of grinned as he said the revelation will shock everyone. As will the reveals in general from the novel and follow up.

On the subject of Penitent, I was absurdly lucky enough to have almost an our long chat with Abnett over tea at BL weekender(as everyone else seemed to be missing the point of the tea with the authors segment). I did ask him about Penitent and 'Alpharius' specifically. He said that it would be revealed who 'Alpharius' is and he then just kind of grinned as he said the revelation will shock everyone. As will the reveals in general from the novel and follow up.

@Angel_of_Blood you had a cup of tea with Dan Abnett for an hour at BL Weekender and YOU ONLY NOW TELL US ABOUT IT!!!!!! What was this Vermillion Level clearance or something LOL

Cool must have been great to have such a long chat with him. Any other reveals or info you can share (understood if he swore you to secrecy though).

Also when you say "Alpharius" in relation to the Bequin books. Did you mean that or did you mean The Yellow King?

Just finished my re-read of Warmaster. Awesome book. Really good. Despite being obviously part one or two (or strictly speaking part 3 of 4) I rate it up there in my personal top five GG books.

Only a week to go until I get my hands on Anarch.

Edited by DukeLeto69

Yeah this is really bittersweet. More Sabbat Worlds is great news. Wonder if it is Interceptor City or the newly rumoured follow up to Titanicus. Of course it could be another anthology! BUT another delay to Penitent just sucks! THAT was THE book (beside Anarch) I was most looking forward to and hoped for this year!

I was just thinking about this, but since we know Abnett's HH book is the last one, and that that is not coming out until 2022, I really wonder if the Siege of Terra book, time sentitive as it may be, will really be a hindrance for Abnett to finish Penitent. You'd think he could take the remainder of this year to focus on Non-HH and then would have 2020 and a good part of 2021 even to write his Siege of Terra book. And considering he's such a fast writer he may not even need that long.

Edited by Taliesin

I was just thinking about this, but since we know Abnett's HH book is the last one, and that that is not coming out until 2022, I really wonder if the Siege of Terra book, time sentitive as it may be, will really be a hindrance for Abnett to finish Penitent. You'd think he could take the remainder of this year to focus on Non-HH and then would have 2020 and a good part of 2021 even to write his Siege of Terra book. And considering he's such a fast writer he may not even need that long.

Except there was some news (admittedly from one source) that Abnett had said at Black Library Weekender that he had TWO HH books in his list of forthcoming books alongside Penitent, Pandaemonium, Interceptor City. Since then there is also rumour of a Titanicus follow up and in the Trackofwords interview Dan mentions a Sabbat project (which could be Interceptor City or Titanicus II or something else!)

Whatever happens it is great to have Dan back writing lots of stuff for BL!

Edited by DukeLeto69

I'd be fine with the Sabbat Worlds opening up to different novels and this being, largely, the end of the GG. Not because I think Anarch was bad or anything, I thought it was really good (and it's going to kick off a GG reread for me), but imo it's a good bookend on the series.

Sek's dead, the terrible (not bad, terrible as in boy that suuuuuucks for the Ghosts) twist with Yoncy AND Dalin, the SWC is likely going to get through the rest of the Archenemy forces, but you can really split off into a lot of nice side stories from this point onwards without getting into retreads of 'this big bad guy now, then THIS big bad guy now, then THIS big big bad guy now'. GG characters can come in with cameos, feature as part of stories, but their story has been told, imo.

I think the closest analogy I can use is...I'm full of GG. Not in a bad way, but like, after you've eaten a really good meal and you've had your fill, and now you're full. A top notch meal, good restaurant, great service, and now I'm good.

Edited by Apothecary Vaddon