Gaunt’s Ghosts: Anarch

And for all we know, Trazyn stole some Tanith snipers who failed to make it off the world as it was destroyed, so they're already assumed dead. Preserving something in its last moments is classic Trazyn.

Anyway, finished this last night. Definitely a great read, though I have my complaints. They're pretty small though. Highlights and criticisms below:

Fantastic horror in the undercroft. Definitely my favorite parts of the book.

The 2nd woe machine felt a little contrived. I'm on ebook so I used search to check through and see if/where it was hinted at, and I can kind of see it... Yoncy has a bit where she gets a little irate and says something to the effect of 'you were just talking to papa too,' probably referring to Dalin hearing Sek's commands. It seems clear the Dalin persona isn't aware of these communications and he just kind of shuts down while they happen. I'd be curious to see if there was anything in Warmaster that solidly hints at this as well, or even before, but I don't get the impression this is a choice that was decided on 3-4 books ago. I'd be happy to be wrong, though. I wonder if there is a hint somewhere where another character sees Dalin staring into space for a bit or something while he tunes into Anarch Radio? I wouldn't have noticed it before, but if anyone does a re-read of the last few books it might be something to keep an eye out for.

And the charge of the Qimurah felt a little weightless. I kind of wish the main body of the Qimurah had lived up to their hype a bit more, but they seemed to go down in a flash.

But I do really like that Sek and the Qimurah seem to be blessed by Tzeentch despite the overtly militant, kind of Khornate nature of the Chaos forces at play. It makes good sense, too. Sek is ambitious, and Tzeentch reaches out to those who seek the power to make change. Change, heedless of its cost. And somewhere in the depths of the warp, there's a part of Tzeentch that would love to overthrow one of Khorne's champions simply for the sake of it. And Sek even adhered to the Sanguinary Tribes' cultural favor of the number 8 to help maintain his power amid that militarist culture. Anyway, that's my take on it. I'm sure others will read this differently.

And lastly, I'm a little sad that Brostin didn't get to go out in a blaze of pyrotechnic glory :'( It's what he would have wanted

That last point is so true. I would have really enjoyed seeing something more for him.

Great book. I recommend it wholeheartedly. It likely won’t convert those who didn’t enjoy the Gaunt’s Ghosts series, but I thought it was fun and engaging.

Bit confused by a Khornate cult, sacred number 8 and all, beseeching and getting aid from Tzeentch for their super warriors. Other than that, the world building of Chaos folks was fantastic.

Mkoll’s plot armor reached ludicrous levels during this and it was honestly a bit disappointing. Mutual kill of him and Anarch as he kept the mine forced down his throat would have been a good send off

It’s worth remembering that neither Sek nor the Sons of Sek are qualified as Khornate. They are shown as Chaos worshippers, to be sure, but not beholden to any one of the Ruinous Powers. Eight is the number of Chaos Undivided as well — not just Khorne’s.

And lastly, I'm a little sad that Brostin didn't get to go out in a blaze of pyrotechnic glory :'( It's what he would have wanted

Am I the only one that thought Brostin benefited from the same “apparent death, but not really” as Loken (trapped under falling debris)?

Am I the only one that thought Brostin benefited from the same “apparent death, but not really” as Loken (trapped under falling debris)?

That did occur to me, with his hand just kind of left sticking out of the rubble like that. They can rebuild him... Cyber-Brostin, with flamers for arms. Then he'll finally be living his best life.

I don’t know about Brostin and the Loken angle, I mean Loken was an Astartes in power armour for one. But I think Abnett was just going for the angle of not everyone getting a epic heroic death.

Either way I’m gutted he’s gone. Loved his character. Though I was spending most of it dreading Varl biting it. So thoroughly relieved he’s survived as I think I’ll riot of Varl ever dies.

Loken had an entire palace fall on him, after going through a duel with Abaddon. Then the world was systematically bombarded around him. That’s what Astartes in power armour gets you.

Brostin, on the other hand, only had “an avalanche of slabs and rockcrete roof tiles” fall on him. He, uh... might get better?

Loken had an entire palace fall on him, after going through a duel with Abaddon. Then the world was systematically bombarded around him. That’s what Astartes in power armour gets you.

Brostin, on the other hand, only had “an avalanche of slabs and rockcrete roof tiles” fall on him. He, uh... might get better?

Don’t get me wrong, I hope you’re right. I just feel that he was meant to be the sad anti-climactic end.

Yeah, after being such a feature secondary character for so long, it was a arguably a painfully anti-climactic end. But it rung true too - not something connected to his signature weapon - and Abnett did give him a special sentence that went out of the way to give him an "end". I did keep thinking of Feygor's demise long ago - and how the fate of the various kings contrasted - so quick, and relatively perfunctory. 

Edited by Petitioner's City

Yeah, after being such a feature secondary character for so long, it was a arguably a painfully anti-climactic end. But it rung true too - not something connected to his signature weapon - and Abnett did give him a special sentence that went out of the way to give him an "end". I did keep thinking of Feygor's demise long ago - and how the fate of the various kings contrasted - so quick, and relatively perfunctory.

Yeah it was a reminder that the Guard are just men with a horrific casualty rate

Can I just say the addition of Chaos Undivided has gone a long way to alleviate the parody-like nature of the "four flavours of Chaos" that are otherwise treated as default in 40k. If anything Abnett's work is weakened whenever he has to make use of them.

What do you mean? Undivided has been a thing since 3rd edition's first Chaos Space Marines Codex released in 1999, really shortly after when First and Only was published, and presumably he was aware of the codex's content - since that novel features Obliterators shortly before the release of the codex they first appeared in (not being present in the army lists section of the 3rd edition rulebook). 

As the energy wires ignited between the previously dormant stone stacks, something else happened on the flat tops of each tower. In puffs of pinkish, coloured gas, figures appeared on each tower platform. Teleported into place by sciences too dark and heretical for a sane mind to understand, these squads of soldiers instantly deployed heavy weapons on tripods and laid down fire on the penned aggressors beneath them. The Chaos forces were dün, wasted beings in translucent shrouds and scowling masks made of bone. They manned tripod-mounted lascannons, melta-guns and other more arcane field weapons with hands bandaged in soiled strips of plastic.  Amongst them were their corrupt commanders, quasi-mechanical Chaos Marines, Obliterators. 

You can read more about the codex here. The mark was free, and had two gifts - a standard and Doom Bolt for sorcerors.

Abnett has almost always written in a context in which Undivided existed (not that I am ever sure he has used the term); but I love how when he engages with a 'power', he breaks the simple boundaries that can be formed between each of the four.
Edited by Petitioner's City

I guess that means that at this point, we're not assured Penitent will actually come out this year.

Yeah this is really bittersweet. More Sabbat Worlds is great news. Wonder if it is Interceptor City or the newly rumoured follow up to Titanicus. Of course it could be another anthology! BUT another delay to Penitent just sucks! THAT was THE book (beside Anarch) I was most looking forward to and hoped for this year!

Brothers sorry to quote myself but... having just finished Anarch (will do another post on that) it is blindingly obvious what this other Sabbat Worlds book Abnett is working on is! He is editing Matthew Farrer's Urdesh book!

Also I will go out on a limb here and say that I bet the Urdesh book focuses on the battle of Oureppan. I won't say why as that is totally spoileriffic, but if you have read Anarch I am sure you will agree with me that the story of that battle just has to be told and will be epic (especially when you consider who is part of it!) 

Edited by DukeLeto69

Finished Anarch literally 10 minutes ago and WOW just WOW. What an awesome book. Was quite emotional at the end. It was quite a ride and completely heartwrenching in places.

I am not going to go into spoiler territory as others have already done that better than I could.

However, I will address a few points some brothers have raised that I don't really agree with myself (personal taste and all).

1. I do not agree this book has a rushed ending or climax (something unfairly levelled at Abnett all the time when in fact he has only really done that a handful of times).

2. The pacing was spot on (for me) and each scene and "climax" played out brilliantly along with unexpected twists and "oh my" moments.

3. I think looking at this book as a standalone is plain wrong. It is very clearly part of a greater narrative. In fact you should really consider (as Abnett has himself said) that Blood Pact, Salvation's Reach, Warmaster and Anarch are actually one bloody big book. Anarch (as a whole) is clearly the final act and climax to the whole story. I have seen complaints about not caring as much for character deaths because we didn't enough spend time with them in this book but that misses the point that we HAVE spent enough time with them across all four books. To get the full effect you need to read them all back-to-back!

4. While there are four books in The Victory I do not personally see this as a quadrilogy. I see this as one big book with three acts:

- Act One = Blood Pact

- Act Two = Salvations Reach / short stories / Warmaster

- Act Three = Anarch

I guess I best explain some things in spoilers:

The actual key to this story and structure is Mabbon. It is no coincidence that his defection puts the whole story into motion. It is also no coincidence that it is Mabbon who is the focus of the final scene (before the epilogue) of Anarch.

I can't say whether Anarch is my favourite GG book but it is damn close.

My top five has (for a long time) been (in no order) Necropolis, Guns of Tanith, Traitor General, Only In Death, Blood Pact. But I think the "duology" of Warmaster/Anarch (and particularly Anarch) has bumped Guns of Tanith off the list. Which is pretty interesting (to me) as it means three of the four The Victory books are in my top five!

Anyone who has not yet read Anarch then I would strongly recommend either re-reading ALL the Sabbat World books in chronological order (ie slip the shorts and Double Eagle and Titanicus into the right place in the timeline) or if you cannot face such a mammoth task (I did it last year and loved the total immersion it brought as you follow the characters and story arcs) then at the very least read The Victory books and relevant shorts before starting Anarch.

AIA = Anarch is Awesome.

Edited by DukeLeto69

Given the benefit of hindsight and the opportunity to mull over a few things, I will level these two pieces of criticism at Abnett:

1. Considering Etogaur Mabbon’s importance to the narrative, he feels underexplored by the end of the arc. I can’t recall a hint as to what he truly is in the preceding three novels, and we never do more than scratch his surface in Blood Pact, Salvation’s Reach, or Warmaster. We get a very thin introduction to his reasons for being where he is, but it’s not until the very end that we get anywhere near to his substance. Mabbon could have been so much more, but he ends the arc as little more than a plot vehicle.

2. It feels like crucial moments such as pivotal battles are too often left out in favor of what we end up seeing in the book because... why? Because depicting such events is considered cliche? At any rate, I don’t know that Warmaster or Anarch were better for the absence of Sabbat’s battle against Sek at Ghereppan, an earlier reunion with Brin and Holofurnace, etc. I’m not convinced they had to be omitted out of space considerations, either.

Let me be clear, though... none of the above means I didn’t enjoy The Victory arc or that I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone with an interest in the genre.

Edited by Phoebus

Given the benefit of hindsight and the opportunity to mull over a few things, I will level these two pieces of criticism at Abnett:

1. Considering Etogaur Mabbon’s importance to the narrative, he feels underexplored by the end of the arc. I can’t recall a hint as to what he truly is in the preceding three novels, and we never do more than scratch his surface in Blood Pact, Salvation’s Reach, or Warmaster. We get a very thin introduction to his reasons for being where he is, but it’s not until the very end that we get anywhere near to his substance. Mabbon could have been so much more, but he ends the arc as little more than a plot vehicle.

2. It like crucial moments such as pivotal battles are too often left out in favor of what we end up seeing in the book because... why? Because such events are perceived as cliche? At any rate, I don’t know that Warmaster or Anarch are made better by the absence of Sabbat’s battle against Sek at Ghereppan, an earlier reunion with Brin and Holofurnace, etc. I’m not convinced they had to be omitted out of space considerations, either.

Let me be clear, though... none of the above means I didn’t enjoy The Victory arc or that I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone with an interest in the genre.

I hear you brother but...

I am really confident that the Urdesh book by Matt Farrer is going to cover the Battle of Gherappan and subsequent attack on Oureppan - see page 298. And that is why Abnett "left it out" or had the action referenced but happening "off screen" so that his book focused on the Ghosts/Tanith. For ME that worked just fine but I get why you might have preferred to see it - but I believe you will...just in another book.

Regarding Mabbon. Yes that is fair comment. As I said above I think he is key to this so spending a bit more time revealing his character would be good (though we get that in Blood Pact). I do think a lot of the "issues" people have raised are addressed by seeing all four books as one big book. But yes more time spent revealing motivation etc would have been good.

Edited by DukeLeto69

I think you’re spot on with regards to Farrer’s Urdesh, but, speaking strictly for myself, I think Black Library has developed a bad habit wherein powerful parts are taken out of novels and used as the basis for a tie-in novella, short stories, or even separate novels.

I also generally agree with your point re: The Victory as one big novel, but in this case it doesn’t really fix the Mabbon problem. Instead, we largely revisit the same talking points he has across the first three (or two, if you like) parts without getting into his substance.

But again, this is quibbling on my part. I enjoyed all these novels, and I’m sure I’ll enjoy Urdesh, as well.

I've just finished it. I assume Abnett is the poster boy for warhammer horror, because the whole undercroft scenario was a welcome change of pace. Last night I told my wife I couldn't come to bed because I'd got to a scary bit in my book and she laughed.

I would like to see more of the ghosts but then I'd like to see more of eisenhorn. There are some classic Abnett characters that just appeal.

Brostin going out like he did was I think probably right, same as Blenner didn't achieve some redeeming heroics. It's very believable. I didnt really get the Dalin/Yoncy thing it felt contrived to me. I would have bought daemonic possession but 'was always a machine' just didn't ring true to me.
Edited by Red_Shift

Grabbed a copy from my local bookstore as soon as it became available and devoured it over the past two days. Still trying to organize some thoughts.

I loved it, but this was a painful read - in a good way. Some of the fates of the characters were just heartbreaking, especially as

I really liked Elodie, and Dalin's awkward little relationship with Merity Chass.

A lot's been said about the horror elements in Anarch, and deservedly so, but I'd say I enjoyed the various, more lighthearted interactions between characters just as much, if not more so. Getting trapped in a murder-dungeon is much more impactful when it's people we know and care about.

This one definitely feels like the end of an arc. I hope the next one doesn't take the better part of a decade.

I think you’re spot on with regards to Farrer’s Urdesh, but, speaking strictly for myself, I think Black Library has developed a bad habit wherein powerful parts are taken out of novels and used as the basis for a tie-in novella, short stories, or even separate novels.

I also generally agree with your point re: The Victory as one big novel, but in this case it doesn’t really fix the Mabbon problem. Instead, we largely revisit the same talking points he has across the first three (or two, if you like) parts without getting into his substance.

But again, this is quibbling on my part. I enjoyed all these novels, and I’m sure I’ll enjoy Urdesh, as well.

Again I get where you are coming from but in this case I reckon the idea for a spin off SMB book covering another battle(s) on Urdesh was actually Abnett's. Warmaster and Anarch are rightly focused in the Ghosts. I think I would be it to say that all the GG books pretty much always have a ghost in every scene. We never properly "cut away" for another story (not in any detail anyway). The other Urdesh battle(s) do not involve the Ghosts so may not have sat comfortably amongst that story(s).

If I recall correctly Urdesh was originally going to be written by Nik Vincent (aka Mrs Abnett) but for some reason it shifted across to Matt Farrer. Having more story on Urdesh but not involving the Ghosts was always the plan.

Edited by DukeLeto69

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got Anarch from my local library, and I'm now making my way through it.Funny how characters don't seem to notice the significance of the number 8 for Chaos Undivided.

Probably classified information

Would be dangerous to think of Chaos everytime you hear one of their sacred numbers