Thoughts on the new Ork Codex

antique_nova

Why on earth would you take the Goff warlord trait “Proper Killy” (+1 attack) when you can take the generic warlord trait “Might is Right” (+1 strength and +1 attack)????

Am I missing something???

No, your right. it's probably just there to keep Ghaz in check. He has a lot of possible attacks and exploding 6's. I think GW is worried about their primarch models being thrashed on too hard. So I guess it's for game balance. lol

Goffs are proppa Orks after all.

Ghaz starts at 5 attacks, gets plus one if he charges, and plus one if he's your warlord, getting him 7 str 12 ap-3 3 damage attacks that hit on a two, in addition his attacks explode on a 6.

He is also a valid target for +2 Str and +2 attacks psyker buff, which would get him to 9 attacks at Str 16. ((6+2)*2=16)

He's t6 and w8 with a 2+/4++, and he gives his army a major boost (+1 attack AND advance and charge when within 6")

He's cheaper than Celestine, and is a better buffer and combatant, just slower.

I'd imagine there's very few targets who can survive a round of combat with him, so he really doesn't need that one extra attack. And if your playing Goffs and your not taking him, your making a mistake.

EDIT: Technically he's also a valid target for Warpath as well, so you could get him up to 10 attacks. Though I'd imagine Skarboys would usually be better in most cases.

Why on earth would you take the Goff warlord trait “Proper Killy” (+1 attack) when you can take the generic warlord trait “Might is Right” (+1 strength and +1 attack)????

Am I missing something???

No, your right. it's probably just there to keep Ghaz in check. He has a lot of possible attacks and exploding 6's. I think GW is worried about their primarch models being thrashed on too hard. So I guess it's for game balance. lol

Goffs are proppa Orks after all.

Ghaz starts at 5 attacks, gets plus one if he charges, and plus one if he's your warlord, getting him 7 str 12 ap-3 3 damage attacks that hit on a two, in addition his attacks explode on a 6.

He is also a valid target for +2 Str and +2 attacks psyker buff, which would get him to 9 attacks at Str 16. ((6+2)*2=16)

He's t6 and w8 with a 2+/4++, and he gives his army a major boost (+1 attack AND advance and charge when within 6")

He's cheaper than Celestine, and is a better buffer and combatant, just slower.

I'd imagine there's very few targets who can survive a round of combat with him, so he really doesn't need that one extra attack. And if your playing Goffs and your not taking him, your making a mistake.

EDIT: Technically he's also a valid target for Warpath as well, so you could get him up to 10 attacks. Though I'd imagine Skarboys would usually be better in most cases.

Yep. 9 attacks hitting on 2+ and another character with that lucky stick so he is likely to nevva miss. And then he just has to roll 2 or 3 6's and he'd deff on foot incarnate. So +1 St from the other trait isn't really important I think.

If I weren't as anti Special characters as I am I would agree with you and he would be my warlord. 

The lucky stick has no effect on Ghaz. His Powerklaw doesn't subtract one from the hit roll, and the Goff trait is sadly on an unmodified 6.

ah, I had just skimmed the relics. Thought it was a reroll of 1's. lol

I don't feel sad about the unmodified roll of a 6. I like that aside from rolling more attacks it can't be gamed. 

I just picked up the codex today, and I have to say I'm really upset about it on a personal level.  For Ork players overall, its a huge improvement I would say! But for me, the Blood Axe player who runs a helicopter and Kommando themed list, I'm super upset I can't put Killsaws on my Kommando Nobz or Deffkoptas anymore :cry: It was always really fun to drop three Deffkoptas behind enemy lines, rip apart a transport, and then fall back and still dump 18 shots into whatever poured out.  I'm going to have to seriously rethink my list now :sleep:

Has anyone gotten the chance to try out the new buggies? I've only gotten a small game in since the codex and the only painted buggy I had, the kustom boosta-blasta, didn't manage to do anything in that game. That was mostly due to poor rolls though.

The KBB looks pretty solid IMO. The shokkjump dragsta has real potential of being a top tier unit I feel, same with the megatrakk skrapjet. The Boomdakka Snazzwagon I'm not so sure about. It feels like a step inbetween warbikers and a dakkajet and I'm not sold o it doing the job better than either of those two. The squigbuggy is just a hot mess pointswise I think.

I just picked up the codex today, and I have to say I'm really upset about it on a personal level. For Ork players overall, its a huge improvement I would say! But for me, the Blood Axe player who runs a helicopter and Kommando themed list, I'm super upset I can't put Killsaws on my Kommando Nobz or Deffkoptas anymore :cry: It was always really fun to drop three Deffkoptas behind enemy lines, rip apart a transport, and then fall back and still dump 18 shots into whatever poured out. I'm going to have to seriously rethink my list now :sleep:

Remember, at least for the moment you can still use index options, so you don't have to go ripping saws off your models just yet. In fact, you'll also be using codex prices, so you'll be able to fit more koptas in your list!

I just picked up the codex today, and I have to say I'm really upset about it on a personal level.  For Ork players overall, its a huge improvement I would say! But for me, the Blood Axe player who runs a helicopter and Kommando themed list, I'm super upset I can't put Killsaws on my Kommando Nobz or Deffkoptas anymore :cry: It was always really fun to drop three Deffkoptas behind enemy lines, rip apart a transport, and then fall back and still dump 18 shots into whatever poured out.  I'm going to have to seriously rethink my list now :sleep:

Did you mean Kommand Boss nobz or Nobz? Because it's still an option for Nobs in a Nobz Mob.

I feel ya on the Deff koptas I had 3 with KMB's but that's no longer an option via the codex. 

The Nob of the Kommandos unit has no weapon options in the codex itself, it is armed by default with a power klaw. Because, of course, the Ork Kommandos kit is resin with no alternate gear options. On which I really should get myself that kit at some point, though I suspect they'd see use mostly in Kill Team (as is, I have to proxy regular boyz & nob as kommandos if I use 'em).

As for the new buggies, the squigbuggy really is my biggest disappointment in this new codex. Such a nice model and concept, but the less than stellar rules with high points cost ruins it. It has so little damage potential on average that frankly it would probably be overcosted even if it cost 100 points.

Did you mean Kommand Boss nobz or Nobz? Because it's still an option for Nobs in a Nobz Mob.

I feel ya on the Deff koptas I had 3 with KMB's but that's no longer an option via the codex. 

So take the option via the Index, as the rules allow? If a unit has the option in the Index, but not the Codex, you can use the Index rules, you just pay the most up-to-date points.

Am I right in seeing that Deffkoptas ability to drop bombs is just entirely gone now? I would have thought it would at least be a stratagem...

Indeed, it is gone.

This codex is super confusing. Big Meks can (and must???) take mega armor but Warbosses can't? (Minus the index of course). And still only three HQ choices? In an edition where most armies need four or more, only having three to pick from seems... incomplete.

And Battlescribe says I can use the index option to take bigbomms on deffkoptas...but that doesn't seem right. You can only use the index to access datasheets no longer in the book, right? Not to take old wargear on datasheets that still exist?

This codex is super confusing. Big Meks can (and must???) take mega armor but Warbosses can't? (Minus the index of course). And still only three HQ choices? In an edition where most armies need four or more, only having three to pick from seems... incomplete.

And Battlescribe says I can use the index option to take bigbomms on deffkoptas...but that doesn't seem right. You can only use the index to access datasheets no longer in the book, right? Not to take old wargear on datasheets that still exist?

Unfortunately, GW are running on the logic of "if it doesn't explicitly have a model, then it doesn't have rules in the Codex. Hence why there's no Codex entry for Warbosses in Mega-armour, or Marine Captains on bikes, etc.

And hey, you've got at least multiple generic HQ's, the Dark Eldar just have 1 for each sub-faction, and the special characters...

Archived