Seige of Terra series news

He wanted Lorgar to die "like a dog" in the throes of a terrible revelation that all his acts have led to this, and then be put to the sword by Sanguinius.

I would have liked to read that scene. Sadly I think the list of which Primarchs live and die is considered set in stone and thus Lorgar is protected by plot armour that even Sangy couldn't pierce. :wink:

Also I suspect that Gav Thorpe's "Shadows of the Past" was either written or published by then which features post-heresy Lorgar.

They could just have a repeat of the end of Betrayer, only featuring Lorgar and Sanguinius taking the parts of Erebus and Khârn respectively.

Dan Abnett's interview is up on youtube: https://youtu.be/EcmI6cwOMPY

For those who can't listen, there are some nice bits about the planning process, mapping out movements, and how they thought about scale. For example they initially thought of spaceports as basically colossal airports (like Heathrow but bigger, Abnett says) but the activity of mapping them in a meeting out made them realise how that couldn't really be the case, which then changed how they wrote the events set there.

There's also some interesting thoughts on callbacks, lines and references to earlier stuff. Abnett expressed some amused concern about if starting the last book with "I was there the day Horus slew the Emperor" would be a bit too obvious and said that there's no guarantee that it'll happen. In Horus Rising it was a "nudge nudge giggle giggle" bit of teasing or forshadowing... but it ends up becoming quite an important thing which has already been called back to already.

In the same vein he also jokingly suggested using the "deliberately glib, out-of-universe, throwaway line 'The Emperor Must Die'", which he used to sign copies of Horus Rising with, as the title of the last book.

Edited by Sandlemad

I cannot express how immensely frustrating it is that there are maps and timelines out there that would help players write their own siege narratives we will never see.

I wouldn’t give up hope yet. The upcoming Sabbat crusade book is a great model for how we could see a hoast of additional information released. We also have the Forge World Series Black books which will, as always, be busting full of brilliant stuff.

I would pay hand over fist for a sourcebook on the Siege. I can only hope after the first few books are released they drop them as an option. I’m less interested in a source book that details characters journeys over the siege than just generic information like what side of the palace a legion is on, what the defenses are like at different places. That kind of thing. This was a room filled with veteran writers and RPG players. That kind of collaborative detailing is practically a holy grail.

That was by far the most enjoyable listen of all the Siege interviews... ADB as a close second. Dan's excitement and enthusiasm was so infectious... and that proposed title for the last book, my god!

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got the itch to go listen to Prospero Burns :sweat:

Edited by JH79

I would pay hand over fist for a sourcebook on the Siege. I can only hope after the first few books are released they drop them as an option. I’m less interested in a source book that details characters journeys over the siege than just generic information like what side of the palace a legion is on, what the defenses are like at different places. That kind of thing. This was a room filled with veteran writers and RPG players. That kind of collaborative detailing is practically a holy grail.

Considering that John French is both a siege author and involved in the FW's work, hopefully a good chunk of it will find its way into a black book or two. Which admittedly could be years after the BL novels have wrapped up...

I was there the day the Emperor and Horus joined forces and slew Marshal Rohr’s bank account.

That was by far the most enjoyable listen of all the Siege interviews... ADB as a close second. Dan's excitement and enthusiasm was so infectious... and that proposed title for the last book, my god!

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got the itch to go listen to Prospero Burns :sweat:

I'll agree, overall I think the interviews started out a bit stiff, but by the last few, things were a lot more open and excitement-inducing.

On that "The Emperor Must Die" title... I hope it won't happen. It feels too tacky for the finale, and we already had a similar one in The Beast Must Die. I wasn't particularly fond of that title back then, either. It's too blunt and doesn't really echo the end of an era. In my eyes, the final book's title should express a feeling of loss, a level of melancholy, to really drive home the sheer scale of tragedy. An imperative "The Emperor Must Die" just lacks that. It doesn't feel like it'd give closure. I'd smirk at "The Emperor Must Die", but at the end of all things, I don't want to smirk - I want to feel the gravity of holding the final book in my hands and knowing full well that this is the final hurrah, that this books tells me why the Imperium is pretty much lost, even after the ashes have settled and Horus is repelled.

I want to be reminded that, no matter what, no matter who "wins" the Siege, or the duel aboard the Vengeful Spirit, Mankind lost. The galaxy lost. The Traitors lost, the Imperium lost. Either which way it'd have ended, there'd be no real winners among the ashes of a galaxy left to rot. I want to feel a sense of foreboding about the sacrifices made on all sides, the near death of the Emperor and his enshrinement, the breaking of all bonds among the traitor forces, the destruction wrought in the Sol system.

Even if it was something equally as tacky like "The End of the Dream" or "The Death of Hope", at least something like that would express more of the gravity of a war that has torn the species asunder, laid ruin to all it tried to raise from the ground, and crushed the dream of a brighter future for all mankind. I'd like something that encapsulates the vast implications of that final showdown, without narrowing the focus down on any key player too much, and looks more towards what their actions will mean for the next ten millennia.

Wow, ADB wanted to kill off his favorite son...  I now have newfound respect for the lad.

Tonight, on r/nocontext...

After years of suffering creators who simply couldn't murder their darlings across several media, this is a most welcome breath of fresh air, even if it won't happen.

Not that it's surprising, of course. As exhilarating as I found the end of John French's Praetorian of Dorn, this is my favorite line in everything I ever read from Games Workshop:

'So you do,' agreed Erebus

Even if it was something equally as tacky like "The End of the Dream"

Someday the Dream will End...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eL7DUlUB_E

The only victors are the Chaos Gods, Orks and C'tan. The sheer carnage of the Horus Heresy left a power vacuum that other factions would fill. No more grand sweeping campaigns, but endless stalemates upon stalemates

I kinda wish GW/BL would explore the Andromeda Galaxy and the inhabitants there (Chaos, Orks and Tyranids)

Please, let GW never, ever explore the Andromeda galaxy. The Tyranids either aren't there, or consumed everything already, the Orks won't have travelled that far, and Chaos is either not a thing as we understand it in "this" galaxy, or is entirely different gods. People caused enough of a riot when Warhammer Fantasy "reset" itself with mostly the same races, just somewhat reimagined. Could you imagine the outcry of GW announcing "Hey guys, we're proud to announce the release of Warhammer 40k-In-a-Galaxy-Far-Far-Away-But-Not-That-One! Now you can play games in a galaxy untouched by Mankind, Eldar, Orks, or any of the races you actually care about! Wait, why are you all hurling things at me?"

Please, let GW never, ever explore the Andromeda galaxy. The Tyranids either aren't there, or consumed everything already, the Orks won't have travelled that far, and Chaos is either not a thing as we understand it in "this" galaxy, or is entirely different gods. People caused enough of a riot when Warhammer Fantasy "reset" itself with mostly the same races, just somewhat reimagined. Could you imagine the outcry of GW announcing "Hey guys, we're proud to announce the release of Warhammer 40k-In-a-Galaxy-Far-Far-Away-But-Not-That-One! Now you can play games in a galaxy untouched by Mankind, Eldar, Orks, or any of the races you actually care about! Wait, why are you all hurling things at me?"

Humans and Eldar could be there, but not the same factions

(Andromeda Space Marines are not xephobic, focus more on range weaponry and are faster. Andromeda Eldar are more numerous and use Dark Eldar tech with Psyker Powers, but have less elite units and less range weaponry)

What happens in the Andromeda Galaxy does not directly affect the Milky Way Galaxy. And since the Imperium isn't there another faction can win for real. New ideas can be introduced and fleshed-out to see if they can be part of the main game

(Andromeda Space Marines are not xephobic, focus more on range weaponry and are faster. Andromeda Eldar are more numerous and use Dark Eldar tech with Psyker Powers, but have less elite units and less range weaponry)

What happens in the Andromeda Galaxy does not directly affect the Milky Way Galaxy. And since the Imperium isn't there another faction can win for real. New ideas can be introduced and fleshed-out to see if they can be part of the main game

Why would there be Andromeda Space Marines? The humans over there would have separated long, long before the Emperor rose to power, so there's no Primarchs, no Astartes, etc. Any power-armoured infantry they have would be as much Astartes as the Terran Marines from Starcraft are. Just... no, dude. At that point we may as well make it unconnected to 40k in any way. At least AoS had the excuse of Warhammer Fantasy having stagnated.

This all sounds absolutely dreadful and has nothing to do with the siege of Terra.

Considering how the greatest powers in our Milky Way galaxy the Old Ones/C'tan et cetera) still seem to have been entirely contained within that single galaxy, and that the only known methods of faster-than-light travel are the Warp (which won't take you out of the galaxy) and the Webway (ditto), it's not particularly believable that any humans would have made it to the Andromeda galaxy. It's 2.5 million light-years away; anatomically modern humans are only going to have been around for 355,000 years by the 40K era. 

(Makes you wonder how the Tyranids got here so fast, less than 10,000 years after the Astronomican or the Pharos, depending on which story you believe, could have started attracting them. Maybe they have mega-Narvhals that enable them to compress the space between galaxies in order to move entire Hive Fleets.)

Edit: Anyway, if you want that sort of stuff, you really want a different setting than 40K. Go make your own game! :wink:

Edited by Ascanius