Seige of Terra series news

I was a bit surprised to hear that it runs to 2022, I thought it would finish sooner.

Other than that, good news. I hope we'll see 3 novels next year, that opening trilogy by French-Haley-Thorpe.

It was confirmed we'll see more than 1 next year.

In terms of who will be writing them, personal suspicion is that since French, Haley and Thorpe have the first 3, French and Haley *might* do a second book in the series since they started it off and are very fast. That's 5 novels then, with ADB, Wraight and Abnett doing the others I guess.

Novellas wise I think we might see some from McNeill and Swallow.

Edited by Taliesin

I was a bit surprised to hear that it runs to 2022, I thought it would finish sooner.

Other than that, good news. I hope we'll see 3 novels next year, that opening trilogy by French-Haley-Thorpe.

In terms of who will be writing them, personal suspicion is that since French, Haley and Thorpe have the first 3, French and Haley *might* do a second book in the series since they started it off and are very fast. That's 5 novels then, with ADB, Wraight and Abnett doing the others I guess.

I don't know, I could see Haley and French being fast enough to get something done, certainly. But with this being such a big thing, and there be so many authors involved, I'd be quite surprised if they don't ration it to just 1 novel per author.

I think my money's on (aside from the aforementioned Haley, French, Thorpe and Abnett) ADB, Wraight, McNeill and either Swallow or Kyme. McNeill has his main job to deal with of course, but he's contributed so much to the series, and this Siege series has a fairly long timescale. Kyme has also contributed a lot, but then again most of that has been to the Salamanders, Iron Hands or Ultramarines, none of whom should be playing a big role here.

If Kyme's joining, we'll see Vulkan against traitors within the palace.

Maybe during Big Es & Horus fight, next to the Throne, Magnus might be a new type of enemy for him in a Logan vs Jean Grey style.

Just sayin'. Don't take that serious. :P

It's around the same time span that TBA took to write, if I'm not mistaken, we're just getting informed of the series' existence much sooner. TBA was under wraps for a good what, 1-2.5 ish years before we knew anything about it, and then a year or so for it to finish up.

It's around the same time span that TBA took to write, if I'm not mistaken, we're just getting informed of the series' existence much sooner. TBA was under wraps for a good what, 1-2.5 ish years before we knew anything about it, and then a year or so for it to finish up.

That equivalency doesn't really check out well, though. TBA was put on ice for a year or more before it was picked back up, didn't have the same coordination (aka meetings with authors), and changed direction midway. They also had authors work simultaneously but not properly cooperating, resulting in things falling through the cracks left and right.

The reason TBA was under wraps so long had more to do with the shift in upper management at GW at the time, and policy shifting from more free projects and commissions towards heavy tie-in engagements, not just for stuff like Blackstone Fortress these days, but even down to individual model releases. That same stuff apparently had Abnett stray from writing much for BL post-The Unremembered Empire, for example.

It wasn't that TBA was being worked on for that long, or that it was growing through planning stages like the Siege, but rather that the entire project seemed uncertain until control flopped back to BL, something that allowed them to flourish more and more in recent years. TBA then got kicked off for release in a bit of a hurry in the end, which also strained editorial oversight.

That being said, the Siege should suffer from NONE of these same issues. They've been sketching it out for a while, plans have been in motion for years. Authors have talked about what their plans and ideas were forever, so everybody contributing should at least have a decent enough idea of what's gonna be going on, rather than be utterly surprised by the predecessor to their own work because the monthly schedule was running while writing was still going on.

The Beast Arises was a highly experimental, troubled series. The Horus Heresy is the publisher's flagship series and has been for over a decade. They'll do their damndest to avoid the same pitfalls for the grand finale, and I have faith in the authors involved to bring their A-Game, and in the editors to not accept anything less than that. The Siege has plenty of time to run its course and be handled correctly.

That equivalency doesn't really check out well, though. TBA was put on ice for a year or more before it was picked back up, didn't have the same coordination (aka meetings with authors), and changed direction midway. They also had authors work simultaneously but not properly cooperating, resulting in things falling through the cracks left and right.

The reason TBA was under wraps so long had more to do with the shift in upper management at GW at the time, and policy shifting from more free projects and commissions towards heavy tie-in engagements, not just for stuff like Blackstone Fortress these days, but even down to individual model releases. That same stuff apparently had Abnett stray from writing much for BL post-The Unremembered Empire, for example.

It wasn't that TBA was being worked on for that long, or that it was growing through planning stages like the Siege, but rather that the entire project seemed uncertain until control flopped back to BL, something that allowed them to flourish more and more in recent years. TBA then got kicked off for release in a bit of a hurry in the end, which also strained editorial oversight.

Hm, wasn't aware of any of that being a thing. Kinda knew about the timelines for the BL/GW management rift overlapping with TBA, but didn't think it had impacted the series to that great a degree.

Nah, Beast Arises was finished a lot quicker, not a 4 year plan like this. And it was all published in 12 months. And the books were much shorter and far less ambitious, and thus obviously took less time to write.

What I think will happen is 3 books in 2019, that opening trilogy. Then 2 in 2020, 2 in 2021 and final novel in 2022.

Abaddon being one of the major characters in JF's book? Yes! Finally, he's going to get the attention he deserves in the HH, with more (probably?) to come throughout the Siege of Terra series.

I'd have much preferred Abnett not do the finishing novel, to be frank, but I suppose he did start it off so it's hard to begrudge him his moment, even if I think there are numerous authors who would do a far better job.

So far everything in French's video sounds great, and so I eagerly await the first novel. Fingers crossed that the Limited Edition doesn't cost a ridiculous amount and is priced roughly in line with Lords of Silence/the Primarch series etc.

Abnett is probably my favourite Black Library author, but there's something grimly ironic in putting the guy notorious for his terrible, rushed endings in charge of the finale.

Edited by Lord Marshal

Abaddon being one of the major characters in JF's book? Yes! Finally, he's going to get the attention he deserves in the HH, with more (probably?) to come throughout the Siege of Terra series.

I'd have much preferred Abnett not do the finishing novel, to be frank, but I suppose he did start it off so it's hard to begrudge him his moment, even if I think there are numerous authors who would do a far better job.

So far everything in French's video sounds great, and so I eagerly await the first novel. Fingers crossed that the Limited Edition doesn't cost a ridiculous amount and is priced roughly in line with Lords of Silence/the Primarch series etc.

Abnett is probably my favourite Black Library author, but there's something grimly ironic in putting the guy notorious for his terrible, rushed endings in charge of the finale.

All the love in the world for Abnett, but there is merit in this point.

I'll just say, this is quite literally the most important series BL will likely ever complete.

If we get Prosperous Burns, instead of Master of Mankind, as we close out the series...I'll be livid.

This isn't the time to add say, Perpetuals, or Christianity overtly, to the setting.

Say in the lane please.

A great stand alone novel? I could be convinced of that maybe.

As part of a series it's so inferior to its other half, it's not even funny. I'll take ATS 11 times out of ten.

I don't put a single Abnett book in top 5, maybe top 10, in the series, and he's got the most important book to do.

Blah.

I think the Siege of Prospero is sufficiently epic enough to be treated as a mini-setting within the Horus Heresy setting.

What I am trying to say is...you could write a book about the Siege of Leningrad focusing on some German characters, and a book about the Siege of Leningrad focusing on some Russian characters...and the two books could be really not redundant.

I was totally happy with Prospero Burns. Shouldn't have been called that, but still it would have been rather redundant to cover the same fighting that ATS did.

Yep, I would comfortably put it above anything else in the heresy series and indeed anything else Abnett's written for ambition, craft and 'literariness'. A far stranger and more interesting book than a straight account of the battle could ever be. The shame is that so much of what made it radical was ignored in subsequent books in favour of simple gap-filling and ossifying characters, even from Abnett himself with his Marvel-esque shenanigans in Unremembered Empire.

That said, I agree that a slightly more conservative approach probably would be useful for at least the last few siege books, as it draws to a close. The bits that are already iconic and mythologised - Sanguinius holding the gate, the Venegeful Spirit - would benefit from simply being depicted well and having detail added to something that's already done in broad strokes.

I, too, agree that Prospero Burns stands apart as a piece of genuine literature: it's the one book in the whole series I would hand to, say, my dad, who has 0 understanding of the setting.

...but I can understand that people dislike it for the same reason, especially since as @b1soul put it: "the marketing was off."

Hidden Content

Not to divert into yet another author commentary, but PB is one of the reasons Dan Abnett stands apart for me: his world building, creativity, and just genuinely damn fine writing has caused me to put his books down and go "wow" on multiple occasions. But like just like some guitarists in many a rock band, I can full appreciate how that can make it hard for others to work with him...that's not to say he's light years ahead or anything, but some chefs work best when they're solo in the kitchen and others work well as part of a full kitchen crew.

Abnett is the chef that, when asked to make a traditional Thanksgiving meal, comes out with chili-lime blackened turkey with a Mexican-Asian fusion cranberry sauce: it's phenomonal and blows you away, but everyone else brought "traditional" flavors to go with it, so it clashes.