Legio "placeholder", a WIP (Including fun with magnets).

nurglez

Hi there, long time since I been on these forums, though I have been lurking around this forum since the GM box came out (and I bought one). However it had remained unused until recently. Once the warhounds were out I assembled those, then the reaver, then I had a small practice game and was hooked...

45322784_10160943923025459_8128213629016

So I bought 2 more Warhounds to complete a Venator maniple.

I have assembled 2 knights so far, so still have 4 knights and 2 warlords from the GM box to assemble.

Regarding Legio, I really dont fancy any of the schemes out there, and was actually considering my own scheme, so that is all very much WIP (if I ever get around to painting them...).

So, I play x wing at the moment, and have a bunch of greenstuffworld rotational magnets, for attaching the ships to the pegs (lets you make them look cool mid battle and also saves time on trying to find pegs that fit snug).

I decided to try and use these on my titans.

45441970_10160943901590459_4619502068632shaved off the bottom of the apocalypse launcher and attached a magnet (ball bearing glued in the reaver turret hole).

45411302_10160943901690459_8751508525781Lasers have a smaller magnet, as it fit quite nicely into the socket for the weapon, and is still pretty sturdy.

45363175_10160943901825459_5858186429393

And the bearings those magnets come with fit pretty well in place of the arms.

45320902_10160943901335459_7517554040704

Current plans are to assemble the 4 knights, and probably 1 of the warlords. plus to go over the venator maniple and sort out all flash I've left on, and to maybe eventually paint them.

That's quite the pack you've got yourself there nurglez. :o

Your work with magnets looks pretty cool, though I'm curious how well the magnets themselves will take paint.

Speaking of paint, you've said the schemes you've looked at don't really do it for you. Is there anything that you're looking for in a scheme that the official schemes don't seem to have? By all means, make a DIY scheme if that's your thing, but I'd be surprised if there is not a single Titanicus Legio that you like out of all of the existing schemes.

What colours do you want to paint?

Looking forward to seeing how you magnetise the Warlord.

Keep up the good work.

Dallo

Welcome back nurglez! 

The rotational magnets are definitely a really cool addition: I'd toyed with using them, but wasn't too sure how they'd look when painted - although even then, metals aren't really going to be a problem. I think it works perfectly for them! Really look forward to seeing whatever Legio you decide to go with, custom or otherwise.

Looks very nice. Seems absolutely perfect for the warhound.

I have seen another attempt where the ball was put in the weapon's socket instead of the magnet as you did, I prefer yours. The guy magnetized the torso after the arms and had trouble having the magnet stay at the right place as the ones in the arms were stronger.

As I'm very much a gamer over a painter, this will be a slow burning project, more gaming will lead to a bigger desire to get them painted, so lets hope I can get some regular games in :D

My gaming time is usually spent playing X wing, having fallen in love with it, due to painting a ship with pink trim thanks to a request from my girlfriend, I came up with a scheme that I have used on a few of my rebel ships, to tie them together (as the ships come prepainted, but often have different schemes or base coats).

I'm quite heavily leaning towads painting my titans in this scheme, as it is quite easy for me to paint, and I quite like it.

45878951_10160970714670459_1653502897893

I'll try and get a spare armour plate painted up if I can, though base coating will have to wait for better weather ;)

• 2 weeks later...

So, finally managed to get my Warlord mostly assembled. converted up a quick macro gatling blaster, due to my love of miniguns (not the best as I couldnt manage to replace the powerpack with an ammo bin, due to it being way to much effort).

46491710_10161001268450459_7973859075697

The turbo lasers are indeed the ones from the warhound. Im most likely gonna run the warlord with apocalypse launchers due to them being cheaper, and having better range, but i hadnt assembled them and wanted some weapons for the picture :)

Archived