Old Codexes and Rulebooks

GriffonI92

So, couldn't find a previous post and get obscure articles with Google on this but old Codexes and Rulebooks (hell, even those data cards as of late), what do you do with them? I use to keep them for inspiration but after they have sat in a forgotten box for a few years I realize there isn't much. Has anyone made any money, even a few bucks, off of them?

I keep most all my old army books and codices, from ‘98 on, and I feel bad when I look for ones I may have sold or tossed.

The lore in them never stagnates, the models and paint jobs offer continuous inspiration, and the old rules and lists provide nice chuckles years down the road.

I can’t see getting more than a few bucks out of them, especially the old outdated cards, but there is definitely a market. Just usually isn’t worth the hassle of eBay imo

I've kept a handful of mine, either very old or standout (anything from Rogue Trader era, 4th edition chaos codex etc.)

Everything else outdated goes to local charity shops - figure might get some other kids into the hobby, or people that can't afford the books otherwise. 

Keep them if you're a collector or are interested at having old rules at hand to compare with current rules for discussions etc.

I see old Codexes pop up on ebay regularly. Not sure how well they sell tho.

Other than that you're probably stuck with just throwing them away if the above options aren't for you.

I still have every book since 3rd onwards. They are massive inspiration for me.

The front cover of the 3rd edition rulebook with the Templars really sums up 40k for me. My parents bought me the starter box with the marines and dark Eldar for Christmas as my first 40k models

, and that piece of Templar art remains my desktop background on my computer.

Usually once a year or so, I go flipping through the older books for nostalgia and to get ideas.

You can always play a game from an older edition for nostalgia's sake. See how marines performed back in 4th, or use some of the wacky chaos wargear options from 3rd.

Alternatively, if you don't care about keeping the books intact, you can use the pages as wallpaper; just smear a bit of urea on them and they adhere straight to the wall, no mess, no fuss! 

I tend to keep them around as inspiration (and a surprising number of me mates ask me 'is it just me or did X').  They have some fun bits of art, I still remember the Thunderhawk moonbase assault fluff piece at the very back of the 3E marines codex.  Sure, the narrative fluff isn't as much fun as the 6E Warhammer fantasy stuff, but I still have them around.  

Honestly, they're likely not worth it to sell, too out of date to give away, to thin to be problematic, and I get a bit of an ego boost knowing I can paint juuuust about as well as those studio pics from back in the day. It's kind of a fun challenge.  

Keep them if you're a collector or are interested at having old rules at hand to compare with current rules for discussions etc.

Other than that you're probably stuck with just throwing them away if the above options aren't for you.

Under what circumstances would you not give them to a charity shop or concern?

(although - maybe that's a UK thing only)

They may not have the up to date rules, but most of these books are full of lore, brilliant artwork etc. and will be wanted by someone. 

Under what circumstances would you not give them to a charity shop or concern?

(although - maybe that's a UK thing only)

They may not have the up to date rules, but most of these books are full of lore, brilliant artwork etc. and will be wanted by someone. 

Well we don't have such things here. Also I don't really like the idea of letting people who have little money spend it on some outdated rules just so they get all excited and then learn what they bought isn't exactly useable anymore.

Lore and artwork can be looked up on the internet for the most part to be fair.

Not saying there's no point in giving them to charity, just that we don't have it here afaik and that I don't feel well doing so. I'd much rather donate some fresh Codexes if I'd care enough for such things.

Agreeing with sfPanzer on that Germany doesn't know what a charity shop is. There's more of those great treasure shops in my home town than bloody Supermarkets but I'll be dammed if I have found one in Germany in the 10 years I have lived here.

Due to history, Germany is very different depending on where you are within it. Maybe it is different up in the North West?

Agreeing with sfPanzer on that Germany doesn't know what a charity shop is. There's more of those great treasure shops in my home town than bloody Supermarkets but I'll be dammed if I have found one in Germany in the 10 years I have lived here.

Due to history, Germany is very different depending on where you are within it. Maybe it is different up in the North West?

I'm pretty much north west so I guess not. :P

Kept for nostalgic trips down memory lane - I would never sell them. The old artwork is fun to pore over from time to time, not to mention the old paint schemes from way back in 2nd Edition are a treat to look over again. Reading through old rules and stats and such is always entertaining to see how things have changed (and how some things haven't).

I have to say it's only the 2nd Edition books I actually read through, the later books (I skipped 3rd Edition) all feel too 'recent' for nostalgia purposes for some reason? Maybe I'm just getting old :P

I was thinking about this the other day as I have stacks of old books and frankly I don't have the space any more. Sad to see they don't make much money although last time around I had a clear out I think I just did a no reserve buyer collects bundle and ended up making a few quid.

I tracked down the 2nd ed chaos codex on eBay because I missed my copy, but otherwise I don’t really miss anything I got rid of. If you really want to make some space you could probably ask around or post a note at your local shop if anyone wants to trade or throw you a few bucks for them.

Archived