Old Codexes and Rulebooks

GriffonI92

Keep them if you're a collector or are interested at having old rules at hand to compare with current rules for discussions etc.

I see old Codexes pop up on ebay regularly. Not sure how well they sell tho.

Other than that you're probably stuck with just throwing them away if the above options aren't for you.

Under what circumstances would you not give them to a charity shop or concern?

(although - maybe that's a UK thing only)

They may not have the up to date rules, but most of these books are full of lore, brilliant artwork etc. and will be wanted by someone. 

Well we don't have such things here. Also I don't really like the idea of letting people who have little money spend it on some outdated rules just so they get all excited and then learn what they bought isn't exactly useable anymore.

Lore and artwork can be looked up on the internet for the most part to be fair.

Ah that's interesting to know about Germany! UK has so many charity shops (almost more than normal shops in some places, which I suppose shows a bad state of affairs).

I would argue though that an old GW book (or any rulebook actually) never actually becomes unusable. As a child I continued to play Rogue Trader despite 2nd edition being released (I couldn't afford all the new boxset and rules). I have just been having a lot of fun with my nephew playing 1st edition Space Hulk, he was absolutely enraptured by the 80s artwork and very basic minis. 

Not everything has to be new and shrink-wrapped to be enjoyed, as much as GW (or any other games producer, for that matter) would like to persuade you otherwise. 

I'm surprised at many of the responses here, because I love the vast majority of my old books to bits. A lot of it is definitely down to nostalgia, but there are loads of art pieces that look sweet in their original monochrome, and it's just interesting reading old rules and chuckling internally at WS5 Chapter Masters. 

Well... What a day. A bundle of 40k coerced and supplements from editions past was at my front door when I came home from work!

Quick flip thru an old guard codex (4th edition? Or maybe the 3.5 codex?)

There is a black and white image of mordian guard fighting along side heretics with chaos star banners against tyranids...

(This post is made in jest...)

Maybe it's because I'm a grumpy old 40 something, but if you have a heap of old mini's and rules books you could just - gasp! - play them? 

I appreciate the value of keeping up with the times, I'm learning 8th myself, but I don't get this ideology that old games are junk that aren't worth playing - I still play Rouge Trader, 2nd, 3rd  and 1st Edition Space Hulk and all are superb games. And the miniatures, although not up to the modern sculpting standards (that do nowt much for me anyway) are still perfectly usable in 8th. 

Now granted, it might be harder to find someone to play against - but if you have a gaming group then why not have a 'nostalgia night' - you never know, you might discover/re-discover something you really like. 

I'll get off my soap box now and go and clean me old man slippers.... (God I feel OLD - I remember when there was NO 40K at all!!! Que Hovis music) 

Cheers!  

I buy and collect them! Only got a couple of quid on Amazon, mind. I dunno, with the price of GW books it's nice to know I own a collection that if bought at the time of release would set me back over £500. Sure I might never own every current codex but I own most of 6ed for example.

Yeah. I've got a healthy number of rukebooks, supplements and coerced for every edition of 40k from 3rd thru 7th. And a bunch of books for WFB every edition from 5th thru 8th.

Uhg... Trying to figure out editions by memory... Rough when some skipped an edition... I'll abduct the entire lot and figure it out this week...

I have 2 steps goals.

1st is to have every RULEBOOK and supplement for every edition of 40k 3rd thru 7th, and WFB 4th thru 8th, as well as every army book and codex for the armies ny brother and I have on hand.

2nd is to get every other army book for those editions.

I havent moved into 8th yet... Nor any Forgeworld stuff...

Supplements are the hardest to come buy, I guess because they were short releases. Curse of the Wulfen will set you back fifty quid, while a decent mint copy of a 6ed codex will typically cost a token price, maybe even £0.01, so postage cost.

Haven't got Orks, Necrons or Dark Eldar yet, still pricey even in oldish editions.

Maybe it's because I'm a grumpy old 40 something, but if you have a heap of old mini's and rules books you could just - gasp! - play them? 

I appreciate the value of keeping up with the times, I'm learning 8th myself, but I don't get this ideology that old games are junk that aren't worth playing - I still play Rouge Trader, 2nd, 3rd  and 1st Edition Space Hulk and all are superb games. And the miniatures, although not up to the modern sculpting standards (that do nowt much for me anyway) are still perfectly usable in 8th. 

Now granted, it might be harder to find someone to play against - but if you have a gaming group then why not have a 'nostalgia night' - you never know, you might discover/re-discover something you really like. 

I'll get off my soap box now and go and clean me old man slippers.... (God I feel OLD - I remember when there was NO 40K at all!!! Que Hovis music) 

Cheers!  

I think I might well join you on that soap box! :) 

My favourite GW games at the moment are Epic (the final Armageddon version) and Blood Bowl, still using my old boards and dugouts from 3rd edition.

In collecting some of the old metal terminators (from the 1st edition Space Hulk boxset) I'm able to get the minis that I couldn't afford as a child. Yes I know they're small, but for me the sculpts are still better than the modern terminators (it may be a nostalgic/subjective thing though, I admit ;) )

Cheers!  

I think I might well join you on that soap box! :smile.:

My favourite GW games at the moment are Epic (the final Armageddon version) and Blood Bowl, still using my old boards and dugouts from 3rd edition.

In collecting some of the old metal terminators (from the 1st edition Space Hulk boxset) I'm able to get the minis that I couldn't afford as a child. Yes I know they're small, but for me the sculpts are still better than the modern terminators (it may be a nostalgic/subjective thing though, I admit :wink: )

I'm with you on the Terminators - I REALLY don't like the new miniatures - I find them a bit OTT for my tastes. That in fact is a problem I have with a lot of the new stuff - it's way OVER done IMHO. Don't get me wrong, they're beautiful sculpts and if I was a figure painter I'd buy loads, but they don't appeal to me as playing pieces for a game - which is what they are. I know this sounds mad, but I actually prefer the old Monopose 2nd plastic Space Marines  to a lot of the new ones... 

But then what the hell do I know - I'm just odd lol

Some of the new stuff is cool though - and I'm having this idea of painting up some of the new figures but in the 80s/90s very colourful styles and in the original citadel paints - just for a laugh. 

Some of the new stuff is cool though - and I'm having this idea of painting up some of the new figures but in the 80s/90s very colourful styles and in the original citadel paints - just for a laugh. 

You, of course, have to paint the base rims in a hideous Goblin Green equivalent that was the de facto White Dwarf standard back in the day, too...:happy.:

You, of course, have to paint the base rims in a hideous Goblin Green equivalent that was the de facto White Dwarf standard back in the day, too...^_^

Good God yes - that HAS to be done!

• 2 weeks later...

I like to collect the old books for their fluff. I particuarly like the 3rd ed era books, as they not only give good background fluff but tend to have lots of lore-driven rules as well as tons of hobby tips that generally got dropped in later editions (although some of the later core books still had remnants of this practice).

I am actually thinking of playing some games with the 3rd ed rules. I plan to make a few tweaks to simplify/streamline the game without changing the overall feel of 3rd. For instance, I will probably use the 8th edition To Hit & To Wound tables as there isn't any *major* difference between the two and 8th is far less cumbersome in that regard (or I may just create a 3e version of what 8th uses). I kind of like the fact that 3rd made it impossible to wound targets after a certain point (feels more realistic). However, I can see where it would be very frustrating for certain armies (IG with lasguns trying to take out a Land Raider). Guess I'll cross that bridge when I reach it.

But to answer OP's original question, I intend to make full use of the old (classic?) books in way or another.

I will never get rid of my 3.5 Edition Chaos Codex. I would even be so bold as to say it was one of the best books ever written. It might have been seen as a bit OP at the time, but the loss of all the customization in the 4th edition Codex turned me off Chaos for a long time.

I've still got some of my old books. Still own 4th and 5th ed brb, didn't worry about keeping my 6th and 7the ones as they were the little pamphlet ones that came with the starter sets. Still own quite a few of the older codeci, from 3.5 to 7th ed, my oldest being Codex Armageddon, my newest being 7th ed DA, I've got several of the supplements and expansions from 3rd to 7th as well as painting guides and hobby guides. Some of the older stuff is great for so many reasons. Across several books I've got articles on personalizing miniatures, objective markers and terrain, bits and bobs on heraldry, unit markings and battle honours, all sorts of old fluff and other great stuff.

Not only have I got older books still in my collection, but I keep my eyes open at toy fairs, flee markets and yard and car boot sales for them too. I often pick up stuff I missed out on, but also stuff I've previously misplaced nor gotten rid of before I felt it beneficial to hang on to. Recently I picked up a copy of the first WD I ever bought and it was great to flip through and see what got me hooked all those years ago. Would love to get my hands on the four part Index Astarte's series of books from 3rd, as they collected all the IA articles from WD about SM and CSM from the time, and am also looking for the 4th ed Wargames Terrain book as I lent my copy to my cousin cause he's an avid model rail roader and some stuff was useful to his hobby too but he misplaced it. Bit of a rant, but my point is to consider hanging on to it all. Knowledge is power, guard it well.

You can get 6 and 7 rulebooks for a token price on Amazon at the minute. Fully recommend it and they're very hefty tomes. 6ed is as thick as the WFB master tome and 7ed is three books in a box set. I got both for under a tenner mint, but they're far cheaper than that at the minute.

I may pick up another copy of the 3rd or 4th edition core rulebook and Space Marines codex.

That's when I got started so those books have sentimental value for me and my original copies were destroyed when my basement wall collapsed a few years ago, flooding the basement.

3rd ed was my first codex because I was a SW player and couldn't afford the shiny new 4th ed dex (although I did buy the BGB at full price?)

Here's my collection now that I've put it in some kind of chronological order. (Order of release, with WFB shoved in a convenient place to break up the nice spines of 6/7ed from the rest)

nSbP2d2.jpg?1

2syPHlV.jpg?1

The first "rulebook" contains the 2ed rulebook and all its supplements. Codex Compendium contains any saddlebacks like Codex Space Wolves, Armageddon, Primaris, Medusa V etc.

I just ordered 4 3rd ed codexes (DA 2.0, Eldar, Necrons, Tau) for ~ $10 less than the going rate of a new 8th ed codex.

Considering the ever-rising cost of getting (back) into the hobby, I think that starting with one of the previous editions (3rd, in my case) is a viable alternative, especially when starting a new force - particularly if one is not playing competitively. Can always try out a later edition for a fairly low entry cost (bookwise) if all you need are codexes for the factions you play, plus the rulebook.

At the very end of 5th when I was trying to pick a SM chapter I went through all my old codices going back to 3rd edition and Codex Armageddon.

I keep everything now. I even bought an old Chaos Codex and Guard codex just to read the fluff back in 7th.

Recycled. Wish I could do the same with the minis as I can’t get much money for them and hate to throw out all that investment. But the rules and paper products no longer have value for me.

I'm a fairly naff painter but I seem to get back about 60-70% of retail value via eBay when clearing out my display case

Archived