Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Old Codexes and Rulebooks

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Pacific81

Pacific81

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,629 posts

Keep them if you're a collector or are interested at having old rules at hand to compare with current rules for discussions etc.

I see old Codexes pop up on ebay regularly. Not sure how well they sell tho.

Other than that you're probably stuck with just throwing them away if the above options aren't for you.

Under what circumstances would you not give them to a charity shop or concern?

(although - maybe that's a UK thing only)

They may not have the up to date rules, but most of these books are full of lore, brilliant artwork etc. and will be wanted by someone. 

Well we don't have such things here. Also I don't really like the idea of letting people who have little money spend it on some outdated rules just so they get all excited and then learn what they bought isn't exactly useable anymore.

Lore and artwork can be looked up on the internet for the most part to be fair.

Ah that's interesting to know about Germany! UK has so many charity shops (almost more than normal shops in some places, which I suppose shows a bad state of affairs).

I would argue though that an old GW book (or any rulebook actually) never actually becomes unusable. As a child I continued to play Rogue Trader despite 2nd edition being released (I couldn't afford all the new boxset and rules). I have just been having a lot of fun with my nephew playing 1st edition Space Hulk, he was absolutely enraptured by the 80s artwork and very basic minis. 

Not everything has to be new and shrink-wrapped to be enjoyed, as much as GW (or any other games producer, for that matter) would like to persuade you otherwise. 

Scammel

Scammel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 414 posts

I'm surprised at many of the responses here, because I love the vast majority of my old books to bits. A lot of it is definitely down to nostalgia, but there are loads of art pieces that look sweet in their original monochrome, and it's just interesting reading old rules and chuckling internally at WS5 Chapter Masters. 

Edited by Scammel, 12 November 2018 - 01:09 PM.

Canadian_F_H

Canadian_F_H

++ SECTURATOR BIPENNIFER ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,152 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars
For me it's nostalgia and things I missed out on. To me much of the contents of courses from 4th thru 6th edition is still new.
What signature?

Canadian_F_H

Canadian_F_H

++ SECTURATOR BIPENNIFER ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,152 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars
Well... What a day. A bundle of 40k coerced and supplements from editions past was at my front door when I came home from work!

Quick flip thru an old guard codex (4th edition? Or maybe the 3.5 codex?)

There is a black and white image of mordian guard fighting along side heretics with chaos star banners against tyranids...

Edited by Canadian_F_H, 08 November 2018 - 09:57 PM.

• sfPanzer likes this
What signature?

Portman

Portman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 10 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines, Space Wolves

(This post is made in jest...)

Maybe it's because I'm a grumpy old 40 something, but if you have a heap of old mini's and rules books you could just - gasp! - play them? 

I appreciate the value of keeping up with the times, I'm learning 8th myself, but I don't get this ideology that old games are junk that aren't worth playing - I still play Rouge Trader, 2nd, 3rd  and 1st Edition Space Hulk and all are superb games. And the miniatures, although not up to the modern sculpting standards (that do nowt much for me anyway) are still perfectly usable in 8th. 

Now granted, it might be harder to find someone to play against - but if you have a gaming group then why not have a 'nostalgia night' - you never know, you might discover/re-discover something you really like. 

I'll get off my soap box now and go and clean me old man slippers.... (God I feel OLD - I remember when there was NO 40K at all!!! Que Hovis music) 

Cheers!  

Edited by Portman, Today, 10:04 PM.

''I may not be good but I'm slow...''

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users