Plagueburst Crawler or Soulgrinder

MasterDeath

I am currently in a painting competition which basically is just a reason to get more stuff done. And I am thinking about my next slot to paint. I need some firepower (especially Anti-tank) and I am playing a mixed Nurgle Daemon/DG list. I cannot decide between the two units mentioned in the title.

Crawler pros:

- cheaper

- +1 T

- +1" movement

Cons:

- No melee

- No good stratagems in DG (Demonforge would be awesome)

Grinder pros:

- capable in melee

- can be deep striked/summoned

- can be targetted by daemon stratagems (healing, deep striking, summoning)

- +2 Wounds

Cons:

- more expensive

The main weapons are very similar in range and damage, while he crawler wins on the secondary with its entropy cannons. But the Soulgrinder can kill tanks in melee easily. On the optic side, the Crawler straight up wins. I love the design. 

Your opinions?

I agree with the above, but with Renegade Knights out, I chose another option.

I am currently in a painting competition which basically is just a reason to get more stuff done. And I am thinking about my next slot to paint. I need some firepower (especially Anti-tank) and I am playing a mixed Nurgle Daemon/DG list. I cannot decide between the two units mentioned in the title.

I was in such a similar situation I wanted to share what I ended up with. I was asked to paint up a large model/monster/warmachine for the 500th Store, which I wanted to use as an excuse to modify my Nurgle army, and ended up choosing Armiger Helverins for the best anti-tank bang-for-the-points that Chaos could get. I converted them to resemble Plaguebearers a bit:

gallery_57329_13636_748379.jpg

They do occupy a Lord of War detachment, however, that's possibly a Con.

Yes, you can use those in a Chaos army - there is a PDF Renegade Knights Codex up on the GW website - I think its on the same page as their 40K FAQs.

It's not.

https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/ENG_Index_Renegade_Knights.pdf

It is in an article from back when the Knights Codex dropped. kind of tricky to locate sadly

Thanks to Dr. Ruminahui, but just to be extra clear because I think you'll be very pleased by this...

You can use these in a Chaos army? Interesting. Edit: Ah just saw that you are converting a guard army

Yes, you can use these in a Chaos army.  While I am converting Imperial Guard models, they are for Chaos using FW's Renegades & Heretics index.  Totally faction Chaos.  The Renegade Knights codex was released for free for Chaos faction players: https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/ENG_Index_Renegade_Knights.pdf

I know it's a lot to take in, because not only was there a separate codex for Chaos Knight Titans, but that GW also released it for free.  The latter bit especially is what kinda blew my mind at the time.

Armiger look and are awsome.

However, The armiger cant get any buff, so they do not perform as well as you could expect.

Playing a marine faction you kinda get used to rerolling everything.

Really great point, the Armigers are their own thing and won't interact with other elements of your Nurgle/DG army.  That's different than, say, the units you mentioned.

Really glad you mentioned that and anticipating the needs of our Fraters, Brother Triton, thanks for pointing that out because it's definitely a thing to be aware of.

Archived