Emperor's Spears Chapter Tactic [Jan 2021 Update]

Charlo

SEE LATEST POST FOR NEW RULES

So the limited edition of the new ADB novel comes with a few interesting things about the titular chapter:

1) a transfer sheet
2) a card with rules for their chapter tactic on.

From what I could make out, it was "each unmodified hit roll of a 6 in the fight phase, counts as 2 hits for units with this chapter tactic."

That's not bad....!

Thoughts?

Edited by Charlo

I was surprised they are getting a transfer sheet with the book but I'm even more surprised now that they're getting chapter tactics. And that in a limited edition at that so potentially not available for everyone. Weird. Awesome but weird.

I think due lack of mass of attacks in melee and +1 to-hit in melee rules the exploding 6s is neat but not super great. The Space Wolves and the Blood Angels ones are still better even without counting their chapter specific units imo.

Guest MistaGav

There was a rumour recently on Faeit about a named primaris chapter coming to aid Vigilus in the campaign and will have special characters and some other stuff. Maybe it will be these guys and the two rumours tie in together...or maybe I'm just looking too much into it.

I wonder if they'll make it more widely available if the Limited Edition (or perhaps even just the novel itself) sells well. I'd be tempted to go in on this myself if it wasn't for the fact that there aren't enough transfers to do an army, and there's no guarantee you can ever get more. Then again it's an ADB book so maybe I'll gave and purchase it anyway

There was a rumour recently on Faeit about a named primaris chapter coming to aid Vigilus in the campaign and will have special characters and some other stuff. Maybe it will be these guys and the two rumours tie in together...or maybe I'm just looking too much into it.

Emperor Spears aren't brand new Primaris chapter.

They existed before.

It's an Ultima founding chapter apparently.

Unless the rumour guy is unaware of the Emperor Spears background.

Cute idea, I think they should do stuff like this more often. That being said, I think the price is absurd, but what else is new? If others find value/pleasure in collecting black library books, more power to ‘em.

They existed before.

It's kind of dumb, but they're referred to as a Primaris Chapter in the little lore blurb. ADB did say they're not solely Primaris, so clearly whoever wrote that blurb wasn't ADB :lol:

Can I just say, when I got the email about them getting rules, it was quite an unexpected tick on the Bucket List.

I'm imagining a little dance was done? Also, I saw those comments on your Facebook about Spear II ;)

They existed before.

Aren’t all of the Ultima Founding chapters Primaris chapters?

They existed before.

Aren’t all of the Ultima Founding chapters Primaris chapters?
Yes, but emperor spears are not ultima founding.

Might use ES CT for my Kights Tempest.

Edited by Sete

Good job so far. The Chapter symbol still confuses me, though- why did Games Workshop make it the business end of a TRIDENT instead of a spear?

trident

[trahyd-nt]

noun

a three-pronged instrument or weapon.

Roman History . a three-pronged spear used by a retiarius in gladiatorial combats.

Classical Mythology . the three-pronged spear forming a characteristic attribute of the sea god Poseidon, or Neptune.

-- Dictionary.com

Trident

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigationJump to search

For other uses, see Trident (disambiguation).

Poseidon's trident

A trident /ˈtraɪdənt/ is a three-pronged spear. It is used for spear fishing and historically as a polearm. The trident is the weapon of Poseidon, or Neptune, the god of the sea in classical mythology. In Hindu mythology it is the weapon of Shiva, known as trishula (Sanskrit for "triple-spear").

-- Wikipedia

Good job so far. The Chapter symbol still confuses me, though- why did Games Workshop make it the business end of a TRIDENT instead of a spear?

Because it's a three-pointed spear

Curse you for being faster than me. 

trident

[trahyd-nt]

noun

a three-pronged instrument or weapon.

Roman History . a three-pronged spear used by a retiarius in gladiatorial combats.

Classical Mythology . the three-pronged spear forming a characteristic attribute of the sea god Poseidon, or Neptune.

-- Dictionary.com

Trident

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigationJump to search

For other uses, see Trident (disambiguation).

Poseidon's trident

A trident /ˈtraɪdənt/ is a three-pronged spear. It is used for spear fishing and historically as a polearm. The trident is the weapon of Poseidon, or Neptune, the god of the sea in classical mythology. In Hindu mythology it is the weapon of Shiva, known as trishula (Sanskrit for "triple-spear").

-- Wikipedia

Because it's a three-pointed spear

Curse you for being faster than me. 

Ain't I a stinker?  :lol:

I mean, I was going to post that picture you posted somewhere of the marine pointing at his symbol saying "It's a three-pointed SPEAR", but I couldn't find it :lol: