Emperor's Spears Chapter Tactic [Jan 2021 Update]

Charlo

The colour scheme sold me on doing an Emperor's Spears force, but that small piece of text about dropping sea serpents and water on their 'cherished brothers' sealed the deal.
Good thing I've got a bunch of the 3d printed symbols on the way.

From what I could make out, it was "each unmodified hit roll of a 6 in the fight phase, counts as 2 hits for units with this chapter tactic."

That's not bad....!

That is pretty terrible, actually, unless the trait has a few more bonuses. That's like a small bit of bonus rules ork unit can have, except orks actually do have the weight of attacks to trigger this a lot, and SM (especially primaris, who have no real melee units) don't. If that was shooting phase, sure, but fighting?

Also, hiding the transfer sheet behind really high paywall is pretty garbage, especially seeing it's not some luxury extra item, it's what you need to start the chapter at all. And, given the experience with similarly exclusive Deathwatch transfers, it will show up nowhere else and won't be reprinted :ermm:

So why haven't FW sorted out the Minotaurs, Red Scorpions, etc??

Ishagu asking the hard questions lol

Maybe because whoever wrote the rules for the Emperor's Spears Limited edition isn't one of the Forge World rules writers? :lol:

especially seeing it's not some luxury extra item, it's what you need to start the chapter at all. And, given the experience with similarly exclusive Deathwatch transfers, it will show up nowhere else and won't be reprinted :ermm:

It's not tho. You can start any chapter you want without any transfer sheet. In fact most people do that because they don't know how to apply transfers properly. It's really just a luxury item and as such perfectly fine to be part of a LE.

From what I could make out, it was "each unmodified hit roll of a 6 in the fight phase, counts as 2 hits for units with this chapter tactic."

That's not bad....!

That is pretty terrible, actually, unless the trait has a few more bonuses. That's like a small bit of bonus rules ork unit can have, except orks actually do have the weight of attacks to trigger this a lot, and SM (especially primaris, who have no real melee units) don't. If that was shooting phase, sure, but fighting?

Also, hiding the transfer sheet behind really high paywall is pretty garbage, especially seeing it's not some luxury extra item, it's what you need to start the chapter at all. And, given the experience with similarly exclusive Deathwatch transfers, it will show up nowhere else and won't be reprinted :ermm:

It doesn't have to trigger a lot to be useful though, getting an extra thunder hammer/power fist hit in is a big deal.  Also from the way the trait is worded it looks like its on going, So wolves and BA are better initially and than this should catch up.

Either way its a nice benefit for people that have the army.

• 2 weeks later...

It doesn't have to trigger a lot to be useful though, getting an extra thunder hammer/power fist hit in is a big deal.  Also from the way the trait is worded it looks like its on going, So wolves and BA are better initially and than this should catch up.

Either way its a nice benefit for people that have the army.

Agreed. I lost my last game by 1 point due to a lucky invul save on a shield drone from my Smash Marshal (Captain). We tallied everything up before rolling that assault, as it was the make-or-break; and he crushed 2/3 of the drones, the last one made a lucky 6 roll. Since there was another unit within objective range, but not in combat, my opponent took the marker and the game.

Note that there were some replies about the availability (or non-availability since it's quickly selling out in most countries) of the book. I've split those replies from this topic and merged them with the discussion about the book in the Black Library forum.

This topic is about the Chapter Tactics.

• 1 year later...

So with a new codex, is this chapter tactics still legal to use?

No. It's invalidated by the new Codex as of Codex: Space Marines 8.5 per GW all old Chapter Tactics are overwritten by the new codex.

To recreate it, Whirlwind of Rage is the closest to the original one. I personally add in Hungry for Battle, Rapid Assault or Tactical Withdrawal.

Edited by Gederas

Thanks, I almost had a feeling that it was not going to be used. But as you also pointed out, similiar tactics can be done. Perhaps even better?

In general, yes. This is what the Spears' Chapter Tactic was, originally:

EmperorsSpears-Jun12-ReddenEarth8jjsh.jp

Pretty good, but no longer allowed.

The tactic Whirlwind of Rage is a nerfed version. It reads as such:

Each time a model with this tactic makes a melee attack, if that model's unit made a charge move, was charged or performed a Heroic Intervention this turn, an unmodified hit roll of 6 scores 1 additional hit.

You cannot select this tactic if you have already selected the Duellists tactic (see opposite)

Nerfed, because it adds the "charges, was charged or performed a Heroic Intervention this turn" stipulation, but the result is the same (if slightly different wording). It just now only works on the first round of combat, not the turn after, as opposed to the Spears' OG one which was active all the time.

HOWEVER, you can now add a second custom Chapter Tactic ability to it, which makes it MUCH better than the old Spears' Chapter Tactic.

As above, I'd add in Hungry for Battle, Rapid Assault or Tactical Withdrawal. Of those two, Hungry for Battle or Tactical Withdrawal are the two I'd go for as Hungry for Battle gives +1" to the advance and charge roll which is good for getting Whirlwind of Rage activated. Tactical Withdrawal allowing you to charge after falling back means you ALWAYS get the ability to activate Whirlwind of Rage (and by extension, Shock Assault) at your leisure.

Personally, my planned Spears' list is Whirlwind of Rage and Tactical Withdrawal.

Edited by Gederas

• 2 months later...

Well hey WD went and gave the Sea Blue Boyz a big update!

Emperor's Spears rules for those interested:

• Chapter Tactic (Redden the Earth) - Add 1 to Advance and Charge Rolls // Models making melee attacks score an additional hit on an unmodified hit roll of 6 IF they charged, were charged or heroically intervened this turn.
  • Relic (Druidic Talisman) - Librarian or Chaplain, Once per turn you can re-roll a psychic test or Litany roll for the bearer
  • Relic (Beast-Hide Cloak) - Each time damage is inflicted to the bearer, reduce it by 1 (to a minimum of 1) 
  • Relic (Horizon Blade) - Replaces Master Crafted or regular Power Sword - S+2 AP-4 D2, goes up to AP-5 Dmg3 when the bearer charges or Heroically Intervenes.
  • Warlord Trait (Bloodied but Unbroken) - Warlord has +1 attack, and gains an extra +1 attack while he has fewer than his starting number of wounds.
  • Warlord Trait (Tribal Heritage) - Once per battle, re-roll a single failed Hit, Wound or Save for this Warlord // Once per battle, if your army is Battle-forged you can use a valid Epic Deed stratagem on this character without it costing any CP
  • Warlord Trait (Sentinel of the Veil) - May heroically intervene up to 6" instead of 3" // Always fights first in the fight phase
  • Battle Tactic Stratagem (Skovakarah Uhl Zaûrn!) - Use in Fight Phase when an Emperor's Spears Core or Character unit which charged, was charged or heroically intervened is selected to fight; each time a model in the unit makes a melee attack, add 1 to the wound roll. Costs 1CP for units of 5 or fewer models, 2CP otherwise.
  • Battle Tactic Stratagem (Fight as Brothers) - Use in Fight Phase when an ES Infantry unit is selected to fight; select an enemy unit within engagement range of the unit and one or more other ES Infantry units. All ES Infantry units who make attacks against the target enemy unit can re-roll the hit roll.

Overall pretty damn nice. Great way to make some extra fighty Ultramarines. +1 to wound rolls is always an amazing stratagem and full rerolling hits is relevant now chapter master is restricted to a single unit a turn.

Additionally, re-rolling Litanies is immensely powerful and you can get some insane level of D3 attacks with that sword.

Alternatively, you could use the WLT for a free Epic Deed Strat on a Chaplain for a free guaranteed litany, while not being forced to take a Master of Sanctity.

Plus, since they are Ultramarine Successors, you can use the Strat to give them the Standard of Macragge Inviolate relic on a Bladeguard Ancient... that means you can have a squad of 5 Bladeguard Vets hitting at WS2+ with 26 x S5 AP-3 Dmg2 attacks each, all with +1 to wound (Emperors Spears unique Strat), 6s to hit generating extra hits, and +1" to advance and charge... pretty brutal! Reroll 1s to hit with a Captain or the Ultramarines unique Strat and you have a blender that can punch through almost any target. Finally, you can even bring another character with Seal of Oath to make them even more over the top against a selected target. Edited by L30n1d4s

Well hey WD went and gave the Sea Blue Boyz a big update!

Emperor's Spears rules for those interested:

• Chapter Tactic (Redden the Earth) - Add 1 to Advance and Charge Rolls // Models making melee attacks score an additional hit on an unmodified hit roll of 6 IF they charged, were charged or heroically intervened this turn.
  • Relic (Druidic Talisman) - Librarian or Chaplain, Once per turn you can re-roll a psychic test or Litany roll for the bearer
  • Relic (Beast-Hide Cloak) - Each time damage is inflicted to the bearer, reduce it by 1 (to a minimum of 1) 
  • Relic (Horizon Blade) - Replaces Master Crafted or regular Power Sword - S+2 AP-4 D2, goes up to AP-5 Dmg3 when the bearer charges or Heroically Intervenes.
  • Warlord Trait (Bloodied but Unbroken) - Warlord has +1 attack, and gains an extra +1 attack while he has fewer than his starting number of wounds.
  • Warlord Trait (Tribal Heritage) - Once per battle, re-roll a single failed Hit, Wound or Save for this Warlord // Once per battle, if your army is Battle-forged you can use a valid Epic Deed stratagem on this character without it costing any CP
  • Warlord Trait (Sentinel of the Veil) - May heroically intervene up to 6" instead of 3" // Always fights first in the fight phase
  • Battle Tactic Stratagem (Skovakarah Uhl Zaûrn!) - Use in Fight Phase when an Emperor's Spears Core or Character unit which charged, was charged or heroically intervened is selected to fight; each time a model in the unit makes a melee attack, add 1 to the wound roll. Costs 1CP for units of 5 or fewer models, 2CP otherwise.
  • Battle Tactic Stratagem (Fight as Brothers) - Use in Fight Phase when an ES Infantry unit is selected to fight; select an enemy unit within engagement range of the unit and one or more other ES Infantry units. All ES Infantry units who make attacks against the target enemy unit can re-roll the hit roll.

Overall pretty damn nice. Great way to make some extra fighty Ultramarines. +1 to wound rolls is always an amazing stratagem and full rerolling hits is relevant now chapter master is restricted to a single unit a turn.

Additionally, re-rolling Litanies is immensely powerful and you can get some insane level of D3 attacks with that sword.

Alternatively, you could use the WLT for a free Epic Deed Strat on a Chaplain for a free guaranteed litany, while not being forced to take a Master of Sanctity.

Honestly incredibly amused that I called it what their updated CT would be. It is indeed Hungry for Battle and Whirlwind of Rage :laugh.:

Still, I very much like their rules. I was expecting to just have my Spears be a Successor Chapter, now they have an Index? Suh-weet!

Also: It's Sky Blue, not Sea Blue :P

Edited by Gederas