Arming a nobz mob

Kierdale

Codex in hand, how would you arm a nobz mob on foot?

While in Xenos2 nobs could replace their choppa with a special melee weapon, in Codex:Orks2018 we can replace both slugga and choppa with melee weapons.

Twin choppa if you want to keep it cheap and have more S5 melee attacks.

Twin killsaws became an option. Twin power stabba, even.

I have nine to make and am thinking about a klaw on the leader, a pair with big choppas (you could even do big choppa and choppa on the one ork...), a pair with power stabbas, maybe one with twin killsaws and the rest with choppa/slugga or twin choppas...

More klaws?

I'm planning on replacing as many sluggas with choppas as I can on nobz of all non-mega-armoured varieties, while leaving the primary melee weapon as it was. Gonna get much more use out of another melee attack compared to an unreliable shooting attack.

I wondered about the power stabba when I first noticed it, I guess it's the drill-looking thing in the nob kit?

Good catch! I missed that completely. So basically they got the same treatment as Khorne Berzerkers.

This will become incredibly handy on my trusty nob biker unit considering they will always shoot their dakkaguns over a slugga in every situation. An extra S5 attack per model is a nice little boost.

I wondered about the power stabba when I first noticed it, I guess it's the drill-looking thing in the nob kit?

Yes. But don't feel limited to just that bit: a knife with a wire running from it would be an easy conversion.

I missed this too... I think I will immediately start lopping off hands and putting two choppaz on my nobz! The possibility for 5 base attacks on each nob is just too good.

I still mix in 2 power klaws and 2 big choppas into my units of 10 nobz though. I like to have a few heavy hitters.

Hey, just wanna know if it's still possible to run 5 nobs with both kustom skorchas and power stabbas? I customized my nobs back in the index with them, and now I'm just hoping I could have both.

The way I read it you can even add choppas to them as well.

Hey, just wanna know if it's still possible to run 5 nobs with both kustom skorchas and power stabbas? I customized my nobs back in the index with them, and now I'm just hoping I could have both.

The way I read it you can even add choppas to them as well.

awesome! My usual build is x4 with skorchas & power stabbas, x4 nobs with power stabbas, boss nob with power klaw and regular nob with power klaw. They ride around with a warboss (and hopefully soon a painboy) to krump stuff up.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the new faq killed the extra choppa. Did it affect a 2 choppa build? I wish there was a 2 slugga option that made you shoot d6 slugga shots for Red Dead Slugslinga nobs! YeeeeWahhhhh!

The new FAQ killed taking two weapons fromt he first list, PLUS a kombi-weapon. It did nothing to taking two choppas, or a choppa and a kombi, or any other two-weapon combo.

Looks like the new faq killed the extra choppa. Did it affect a 2 choppa build? I wish there was a 2 slugga option that made you shoot d6 slugga shots for Red Dead Slugslinga nobs! YeeeeWahhhhh!

The new FAQ killed taking two weapons fromt he first list, PLUS a kombi-weapon. It did nothing to taking two choppas, or a choppa and a kombi, or any other two-weapon combo.

so, without the codex, kombi-skorcha and stabba still good?

It's not really a problem as long as you don't glue the arm with plastic glue. Magnet or just a small dab of superglue and it is easy to take off. But I think if they wanted to disallow it, they would've done it with the first FAQ already. Certainly they knew about people going nuts about dual choppas by then.

I think it's the one saying that you can get the extra attack only once even if you have multiples of the weapon... so if that were to be the case even if you could take two choppas it'd be of no benefit. But BRB FAQ explicitly says dual chainsword gets two bonus attacks, so I reckon choppa does too until a FAQ says otherwise.

Oh and I might add that I find the Tyranid ruling super lame. I mean, you pay the points for the 2nd set of swords, so why not get the benifit? Which is an argument you can't use for dual choppas.

Enjoy it while it lasts I guess, and here's hoping they fix the tyranids instead of ruining the orks.

Yeah, weird that it's ruled that way in the Tyranid FAQ, because it's completely different in the main rulebook FAQ. I don't know the exact wording of a Pair of Boneswords, though, so maybe there is something there. Regardless, Choppas are worded exactly the same as chainswords, and those are covered to allow for two bonus attacks.

Boneswords and Chainswords have rules worded differently. Whether or not the intent was the same, the FAQ often only answers as-written so the grammatical differences are important.

Boneswords: "A model armed with boneswords can make 1 additional attack with them in the Fight phase."

Chainsword: "Each time the bearer fights, it can make 1 additional attack with this weapon."

The "armed with Bonseswords" rule grants 1 attack with Bonesowrds regardless of how many Boneswords you have - whether you take 2 or 4 you are still "armed with boneswords" and thus only get 1 attack. The Chainsword grants 1 with "this weapon" therefore for every Chainsword you have you get an extra attack with it.

Choppas are written the same way as Chainswords ergo grant 2 attacks for a pair of them, and based on the Chainsword FAQ (and lack of mention in the Ork FAQ) will stand.

++

As for the unit itself, I am considering a Killsaw (maybe a pair) on the Boss Nob for looks, then a pair of Power Klaws and a smattering of Big Choppas throughout the regular Nobz. I would prefer everyone to carry a BC but would take the dual-Choppa build to save points. It is a shame the Kombi-Scorcha is so expensive, as that would be my go-to weapon were it cheaper (my Warboss is a bit of a pyromaniac you see).

I am not entirely convinced about the Power Stabba as a weapon choice, I guess the Nob's natural strength makes it fairly effective but somehow it just feels a bit weedy to me. Any thoughts?

Do you think it is worth taking Ammo Runts to use purely as damage sponges, assuming you have transport space? It seems handy given you use the T5 of the Nobz and can cheaply tank multi-damage hits.

Do you think it is worth taking Ammo Runts to use purely as damage sponges, assuming you have transport space? It seems handy given you use the T5 of the Nobz and can cheaply tank multi-damage hits.

Yes. I've been an advocate since day 1 that ammo runts are worth their weight in teef. Especially in a transport. They can take those insta-deaths when the vehicle dies and you roll a 1.

If you go choppa and big choppa would that grant standard attacks at s6 and an extra attack at base strength?

Got a new box of nobs today :biggrin.:

Big Choppas are +2 and Nobz are S5, so you would have 3 attacks at S7, and one at S5.

I've got two main Nobz mobs planned

Unit A - Choppa + Power Stabba, aim of this combo is to let me have a response to both GEQ and MEQ units,

Unit B - Combi Skorcha + Choppa this unit rides in a Big Trakk with skorchas and a supa-skorcha for an insane, eggs in one basket auto-hitting nightmare. When the Big Trakk goes boom, Loot it and then beg to be charged :) (the Orks would kill for a "Come an 'av a go if youse fink your 'ard enuff" strategem that forces a unit to charge them in the movement phase)

On the topic of Nobz and arming then...would these pass as choppa armed Nobz to you... well except for the Badass with the Uge Choppa on the right :eek:

med_gallery_9146_3140_34039.jpg

and they're even in bad moonz colours already :tongue.: ...they should be Goffs of course :whistling:

Cheers, Mithril

Archived