Stand Out Units From The Codex

patchestheclown

As the title suggests I want to know what units you lot think are some of the stand outs of the codex? What are some units that you will make sure to fit into most if not all of your upcoming lists?

IMO

Tankbustas - They were great in the codex and now with DDD automatically applied and some stratagems they can get REALLY scary even to knights (hypothetically that is) Especially now that trukks got cheaper they still have a great delivery method and some small protection. I feel that evil suns benefit them a lot due to being able to advance and ignore to hit penalty, Death Skulls have a unique strat that helps tremendously, and badmoons get re-roll ones, so it doesn't matter too much what list you bring them in

Bikerz - T5, 6 shots per bike, massive movement (especially with wartrike nearby), and decent melee; what's not to like? Its too bad they still cost so much but they did get a nice price drop in the codex. I think these guys are solid as hell.

Nobz - I have always loved the idea of units of Nobz as a retinue for my warboss but pre-codex they were waaayyy too many points. In the codex I can get a slugga & big choppa setup for less than 20 points?!?! 3 S7 attacks that do flat 2 dmg! Hello primaris marine killer. They cost as much as two boyz but have the same number of wounds and a 4+ save. I think these guys are real winners of trukks being cheaper. 12 boyz in a trukk isn't too scary, 10 nobz in a trukk, well thats a different story.

I think those are my top 3 stand outs thought there are a lot of honorable mentions. One unit I see cropping up a lot are Mek Gunz (especially the traktor kannon) I have no experience with them as the kits are $46 for a single gun (most of them are fewer points than that!) What do you think??

I think I read some hwere the other day that the math says smasha guns are actually better than the traktor kannons. 

Just starting to have a look at the codex and I am over all pleased. dreads and Kans both dropped in points and a few other units look better than they did in the index.
Komandos are so far the only obvious disappointment due the the lack of reasonable weapons options. But then I still want mine with shootas. 

loads of good stuff in the codex. 

Or just two choppas if I'm reading it correctly, if you wanted some mooks to keep it cheap!

Yeah, including a few 14-point Nobz with dual choppas to take the initial wounds and add some extra attacks for chaff duty is going to be the way to run Nobz.

Wow. This is a weak thread for the week after codex drop. Sad. Gonna put the scrap jet as looking fairly efficient

Most bosses seem to like to just do their own thing when it comes to their Orks.  And there are only a handful of us even on the B&C. 

Wow. This is a weak thread for the week after codex drop. Sad. Gonna put the scrap jet as looking fairly efficient

I finally got my codex :D

For me, Smasha Guns getting extra shots and their points cut drastically is the biggest winner. They aren't reliable on their own, but you can field a huge number of then easily. You give up a lot of kill points, but that's really the only downside.

A war boss with a power klaw and kustom shoots is 80 points. He lacks the speed and durability of the Index warboss on a bike, but I think he's still worth taking as a cheap but punchy HQ that provides the WAAAGH!!! aura.

Bad Moons Dakkajets and Tankbustas, for different reasons. Getting any amount of reroll is great for the Dakkajets, which benefit with their higher two-hit roll. Tankbustas don't need the kultur but the clan stratagem paired with More Dakka! can be downright brutal (a post on reddit shows that mobbing up 15 tankbustas with 10 more can do 25 wounds on a turn to a knight with a 3++!).

I want to throw gretchin in. Nothing really changed, but between us having more uses for command points and Grot Shields, Grots are even more important to our army lists now.

I really want to like Evil Sunz Deff Dreads. Tellyporting 3 and then just charging things feels like the epitome of the "distraction carnifex" tactic, and I'm really hopeful it works out.

Stormboyz got faster. I'm struggling to get them in lists because of all the other toys I want to test, but make no mistake, 30 (or 40!) Stormboyz advancing up the table will be mean, mean, mean.

Gorkanaut, specifically Goff. Another thing I desperately want to be good. If you can clear chaff, this guy can be a knockout blow against large enemy models. He cant knock a titan out on his own in a turn, but he can do a lot of work and will get the charge off fairly reliably. At least, the math is reliable. As a Blood Angel player, I have failed far too many 9" charges with a rerollable 3d6...

Shout out to Nobz, whether regular, mega, or on bikes for the points drops and new transportation methods. Weirdboyz for warphead and more powers. Boyz for still being excellent. Lootas who can use grots and stratagems to cover up their biggest weaknesses, durability and variance.

Having fewer stand out units is good, no? When everything is ok and few bad choices.

Skrapjet looks fun to me. 12 shoots shots and 5 rokkits a turn seems decent.

That's a good point!  The only unit I have zero interest in right now are Kommandos. everything else makes me happy.

SkrapJet does look good, don't forget your Dakka Dakka Dakka!

I found the Skrap jet okay for the points. The Ork BS minimizes the shooting but its good in assault with the nose drill and spiked ram attacks.

MVP of my last game had to be Lootas with the More Dakka strat. Give them a bunker wagon and let hilarity ensue.

Dakkajets are good for their points.

Deffkilla trikes are great esp if you are taking multiple Trukks

I think I'm partially to blame for this, due to my highly controversial and hotly debated review of the codex as soon as it was released :P. So I imagine that most of the codex review responses are there. I haven't checked the responses since, because I don't feel the need to and still stand by everything I've said. Even after looking at the codex again to see if i can do any better than previously.  

I think I'm partially to blame for this, due to my highly controversial and hotly debated review of the codex as soon as it was released :tongue.:. So I imagine that most of the codex review responses are there. I haven't checked the responses since, because I don't feel the need to and still stand by everything I've said. Even after looking at the codex again to see if i can do any better than previously.  

I didn't find your review "controversial" at all. I thought your list saw very basic and not very good in the long run. I don't think I phrased my reply to your post that way but maybe I should have.

Most of us , it seems, were still waiting on our codex to arrive. Can't really have a good discussion with out my book to look at. 

I found the Skrap jet okay for the points. The Ork BS minimizes the shooting but its good in assault with the nose drill and spiked ram attacks.

What things were you targeting with your Sckrapjet?  

I see it as a primaris killer. I recently nuked a bunch of them with tankbustas and the Dakka Dakka dakka stratagem just prior to the codex. It was really some savage over kill.

I'm getting excited about that Bonebraka Battlewagon.

I haven't fielded a Battlewagon at all in a long time it'll be refreshing to have one back in my list.

I'll be looking forward to seeing my deff rolla Battlewagon carting a warboss and retinue into battle facing off against a trike boss and see who can rack up the most kills :)

High controversy and hot debate? What review?...

Personally I think there's huge flexibility in the book for fun or competitive lists whereby we'll give people a good game. Variety is back and for that, I'm extremely grateful.

What things were you targeting with your Sckrapjet?  

Was up against Crons w/ multiple destroyer units so I was targeting those with the Skrapjet rokkit cannon. Predominantly I think its best against vehicles (twin BShootas aside) but it could do well against Primaris too. Like most of the other Speed Freek units I look beyond the sum parts - its T1 charge capable around a Deffkilla trike and has a nice wide footprint that can tie up lots of things in assault and do some damage - essentially a shock unit.

Ill also give a thumbs up to Weirdboyz - Da Jumping a 30-40 Slugga squad (or Skarboys if Goffs) is no joke, especially followed up by something nasty in Tellyporta.

Warpath can make this even nastier - Boyz with 5 attacks a piece is INSANE. Follow it up with Get Stuck in Ladz strat - 400 attacks is bound to kill almost anything in 40k.

Fists of Gork - awesome, get a Weirdboy stuck in downfield via a Trukk or similar - throw it on Deffkillas or Warbosses for lethal results.

The other powers are a bit meh but for everything else there is Smite.

While I'm disappointed that Kommandos had their customization options all but removed, they did get two huge bonuses: Throat Slittas and Tankbusta bombs. Every ork player knows an opponent's shootiest units are either always deployed in some kind of cover, or its some kind of vehicle. Kommandos just became one of the deadliest tools in our arsenal for dealing with that. +1 to wound is MASSIVE when you're kitted out with sluggas and choppas. Adding in boss Snikrot let's you reroll ones to hit as well. And then one Tankbusta bomb for every five dudes for free? That's three Tankbusta bombs in one turn if you use the extra stikkbombs stratagem. That's 3d3 s8 ap2 d6 damage shots. It's incredibly unlikely to happen, but 133 points worth of kommandos has the ability to bring down a knight castellan in a single round of shooting. Yes please :D

Saw this on reddit:

Supreme Command Detachment with 3 Big Meks w/ Shokk Attack Guns.

They are basically immobile artillery. What makes them work is the redundancy of three (just 240 points!) and they are protected by the character keyword. The reroll damage die is the real beauty of the whole thing.

Something I'm keen to try.

Hard to say. Point for point you get more from KMK Mek Gunz (cheaper and BS4).

You could go Freebooterz or Bad Moons to improve the SAGs BS5 - but there is something to be said for being hidden character and the whopping 60' range.

Hard to say. Point for point you get more from KMK Mek Gunz (cheaper and BS4).

You could go Freebooterz or Bad Moons to improve the SAGs BS5 - but there is something to be said for being hidden character and the whopping 60' range.

If you've got a Freebooterz detachment already, sure, go for it. Otherwise, the Deffskullz are best. A re-roll to hit and a re-roll to wound is probably better than re-rolls of 1, and the big part is the re-roll a damage die, too. The protection offered by being a character means they can't just fall apart like a mek-gun can, which means they will probably get more turns of firing than the artillery piece. I can see how that would be good, and because they are HQs, you can pretty easily drop them into an army as long as you have a detachment available.

I've been looking at a Bad Moons battalion for Dakkajets and CP. In that, the HQs don't really matter. Switch it to Deffskullz, and I can take the SAG Big Meks, and lose, I think, very little for the Dakkajets.

This triple shokk attack gun idea is getting me incredibly excited! I just might get another two. I've never been interested in mek guns as I prefer playing my IG for gunlines, but this is just too fun to pass up.

Just to add one more plus to this over the mek guns (not saying mek guns arn't great, they are) is that the SAG big mek is infantry meaning they can deploy at the top of a ruin. Combined with their massive range they will have really good firing lines whereas mek guns can be blocked out by a savvy player.

Also as I was writing this I also realised that they will also get ObSec! Holy moley I need to get me some shokk attack guns WAAAAGH!

True, Deathskulls would be a good fit for a SAG battery.

Bad Moons really shine in other areas though - Tankbustas using the Extra Stikkbombs strat; put them in an open topped vehicle and get near something big, throw 10xD3 Tankbusta bombs. If theyre still alive, hit the Showin Off strat and do it again.

Lootas with Showin Off & More Dakka is nuts too.

True, Deathskulls would be a good fit for a SAG battery.

Bad Moons really shine in other areas though - Tankbustas using the Extra Stikkbombs strat; put them in an open topped vehicle and get near something big, throw 10xD3 Tankbusta bombs. If theyre still alive, hit the Showin Off strat and do it again.

Lootas with Showin Off & More Dakka is nuts too.

Technically you can't do that with the strategums when embarked on a vehicle, as the unit doesn't count as being on the table. I've seen this argued a lot on Facebook.

Bad Moons and Evil Suns seem to be most peoples go-to picks for clans, do you think these will be the ones taken on most tournament armies? I personally really like deathskulls for those rerolls and 6++. Skar boyz on goffs seem strong but I don't see too many lists with them in it since da jumping evil suns boyz for that 8" charge is much more reliable. What do you guys think or what are you having success with?

Archived