Stand Out Units From The Codex

patchestheclown

True, Deathskulls would be a good fit for a SAG battery.

Bad Moons really shine in other areas though - Tankbustas using the Extra Stikkbombs strat; put them in an open topped vehicle and get near something big, throw 10xD3 Tankbusta bombs. If theyre still alive, hit the Showin Off strat and do it again.

Lootas with Showin Off & More Dakka is nuts too.

Technically you can't do that with the strategums when embarked on a vehicle, as the unit doesn't count as being on the table. I've seen this argued a lot on Facebook.

Can you cite a rule or FAQ? That would be true for auras or psychic powers or in reserves.

True, Deathskulls would be a good fit for a SAG battery.

Bad Moons really shine in other areas though - Tankbustas using the Extra Stikkbombs strat; put them in an open topped vehicle and get near something big, throw 10xD3 Tankbusta bombs. If theyre still alive, hit the Showin Off strat and do it again.

Lootas with Showin Off & More Dakka is nuts too.

Technically you can't do that with the strategums when embarked on a vehicle, as the unit doesn't count as being on the table. I've seen this argued a lot on Facebook.

Can you cite a rule or FAQ? That would be true for auras or psychic powers or in reserves.

BRB ruling under Embarked units.

Embarked units cannot normally do anything or be affected in any way whilst they are embarked.

So unless the thing we're trying to use specifically counters this (like Boarding Action), it cannot be used on an embarked unit.

Wow. This is a weak thread for the week after codex drop. Sad. Gonna put the scrap jet as looking fairly efficient

I think I'm partially to blame for this, due to my highly controversial and hotly debated review of the codex as soon as it was released :tongue.:. So I imagine that most of the codex review responses are there. I haven't checked the responses since, because I don't feel the need to and still stand by everything I've said. Even after looking at the codex again to see if i can do any better than previously.  

I didn't find your review "controversial" at all. I thought your list saw very basic and not very good in the long run. I don't think I phrased my reply to your post that way but maybe I should have.

Most of us , it seems, were still waiting on our codex to arrive. Can't really have a good discussion with out my book to look at. 

One thing I'd like to point out is that lack of customisation. I mean besides Tyranids, Orks can meant to be the wakiest and least cookie cutter in terms of their loadout for their heroes. And you can very easily use one of the nobz bikers are the warboss on the bike, just like with the vertus praetors for your adeptus custodes shield captain. Why they didn't give the Orks that option is just beyond me. Pretty much every other faction can have a flying hq option that isn't a special character except the Orks. So, for me, it's not so much what's in the codex, it's what's not in the codex.

It feels like a codex that was half forgotten while they focused on selling new race cars and nothing else. Let me know if you feel the same once you've gone over the book.

BRB ruling under Embarked units.

Embarked units cannot normally do anything or be affected in any way whilst they are embarked.

So unless the thing we're trying to use specifically counters this (like Boarding Action), it cannot be used on an embarked unit.

Thats a fair argument. Orks sort of break the "cannot normally do anything" in that they can shoot but youre probably right.

. Let me know if you feel the same once you've gone over the book.

Not really - there is lots of depth in the HQs. The main reason you cant get a jumping Warboss is they have been phasing out anything that doesnt have an official model in the codexes - old options like a biker Warboss can still be used through Index. IM not sure there ever was an option to give a Warboss a jump pack as far as I can recall.

Ork HQs have never been very customizable so nothing has really changed there. It has pretty much always been the standard of Warboss with a klaw and either normal, mega armour or bike. Same with Meks, either SAG or KFF and maybe a bike. Even mega armour is relatively new for the big mek.

Ork HQs have never been very customizable so nothing has really changed there. It has pretty much always been the standard of Warboss with a klaw and either normal, mega armour or bike. Same with Meks, either SAG or KFF and maybe a bike. Even mega armour is relatively new for the big mek.

Yes and no. I just never say it worth the points when I needed those points for more boys. My Warboss "devolved" into a power klaw, cybork body and uge' horns. from 3rd on till I lost the horns as an option.  it was a downward slide from the to as little extra gear as was mandatory.  Very unfortunate as back then I could have put some real points into him for a 3+ save as well and a big shoota back then but in a way he worked himself into his one job and the rest of the gear was pointless. 

Thats a fair argument. Orks sort of break the "cannot normally do anything" in that they can shoot but youre probably right.

I think your looking at it wrong. some Ork vehicles just have a special rule.. Open-topped.. They are not actual braking any rules at all.  Other factions also have vehicles with that rule.

I play infrequently so it has been unclear to me if units embarked could use their own special abilities or not. 

Without looking I can't say if stratagems do effect embarked units or not. I know auras from a model on the table don't effect embarked units. 

@Not literally breaking, “overriding” lets say ; )

How about Bonebreaka battlewagons; 6 + D6 attacks, hitting on 2s, good S, AP and D. Lots of wounds, high toughness.

I thought a couple of those riding with a Deffkilla in between for the advance/charge could be a pretty nasty, esp with some assaulty goodies on board.

Gunwagons intrigue me too with a double shooting Killkannon. But like most things in the Heavy category youre probably still better with Mek Gunz.

Do you think the bonebreaka is worth it? 20pts for +6D attacks seems a steep price to pay especially since your losing out on some transport capacity as well and the melee capabilities can degrade as it takes dmg. 

Oh and side note as I am getting different rulings on it, can different clan troops use other clans transports? eg) Can I bring in a evil suns detachment a bonebreaka for that sweet +1" move,adv,charge and then load it up with goff meganobz??? Initially I thought we could so I've been building my lists to have a lot of evil suns transports but I've been reading/hearing that you can't mix like that. Would love any clarification :)

I really like tank bustas.

just looking at em, I think I want to put them with a Weird boy and have them jump across the field. and use their mortal wound hammers on things, squig range of 18" is also good

Do you think the bonebreaka is worth it? 20pts for +6D attacks seems a steep price to pay especially since your losing out on some transport capacity as well and the melee capabilities can degrade as it takes dmg. 

Oh and side note as I am getting different rulings on it, can different clan troops use other clans transports? eg) Can I bring in a evil suns detachment a bonebreaka for that sweet +1" move,adv,charge and then load it up with goff meganobz??? Initially I thought we could so I've been building my lists to have a lot of evil suns transports but I've been reading/hearing that you can't mix like that. Would love any clarification :smile.:

For the first part, the bonebreaka's best use will be with Tellyporta and ramming speed, getting a nearly guaranteed charge, dealing some mortal wounds and then getting to use all those sweet, sweet deffrolla attacks before the enemy has more than an overwatch to try and degrade it.

For the second, I'll have to double check when I get home, but I'm willing to bet it's the same wording Marines got, and is <Clan> Infantry.

just looking at em, I think I want to put them with a Weird boy and have them jump across the field. and use their mortal wound hammers on things, squig range of 18" is also good

In some competitive circles, there's a lot of talk about taking 15 tankbustas (and 6 squigs), mobbing them up with 10 more tankbustas, and using more dakka and showin off to make an effective anti-knight unit. The hammers are still no good, requiring assault and being one use weapons, but tankbustas may be one of the best units, post-codex-and-stratagems.

Oh and side note as I am getting different rulings on it, can different clan troops use other clans transports? eg) Can I bring in a evil suns detachment a bonebreaka for that sweet +1" move,adv,charge and then load it up with goff meganobz??? Initially I thought we could so I've been building my lists to have a lot of evil suns transports but I've been reading/hearing that you can't mix like that. Would love any clarification :smile.:

For the first part, the bonebreaka's best use will be with Tellyporta and ramming speed, getting a nearly guaranteed charge, dealing some mortal wounds and then getting to use all those sweet, sweet deffrolla attacks before the enemy has more than an overwatch to try and degrade it.

For the second, I'll have to double check when I get home, but I'm willing to bet it's the same wording Marines got, and is <Clan> Infantry.

In some competitive circles, there's a lot of talk about taking 15 tankbustas (and 6 squigs), mobbing them up with 10 more tankbustas, and using more dakka and showin off to make an effective anti-knight unit. The hammers are still no good, requiring assault and being one use weapons, but tankbustas may be one of the best units, post-codex-and-stratagems.

I can the tank hammers be taken by any other unit in the dex?

I can the tank hammers be taken by any other unit in the dex?

Nope, they'd be great on boyz though. I ran them on tankbustas in Index but when they changed it to 1 per 5 instead of 2 per 5 and removed the klaw option on the tankbusta nob then I really don't see the point anymore..

I like the Bonebreaka on paper, can't wait to test it in game. However, as far as Tellyporta... to me the problem there is that you'd be teleporting only 9 PL out of the cap of 20. On the other hand if you had passengers in there, charging into combat with them inside would be... less than optimal. In the worst case the bonebreaka could be destroyed by a countercharge, and if surrounded the passengers would be removed from the table.

I like the Bonebreaka on paper, can't wait to test it in game. However, as far as Tellyporta... to me the problem there is that you'd be teleporting only 9 PL out of the cap of 20. On the other hand if you had passengers in there, charging into combat with them inside would be... less than optimal. In the worst case the bonebreaka could be destroyed by a countercharge, and if surrounded the passengers would be removed from the table.

Make sure at least part of your base contacts a vehicle and use Boarding Action to at least get some use from the passengers on the charge. Clear chaff with shooting first as well. Nothing will remove the risk, but it can be managed somewhat.

Nope, they stopped this with the codex. Confusion came from the index entries not have <Clan> in the transport description. Some assumed they wouldn't be in the Codex as well and thought of this before the release, but <Clan> was indeed added in the Codex.

Oi gitz youz iz not da proppa klan, zog off our trukk!

The shame they'd have to endure!

But that does mean that flash gitz basically can't get into transports since they dont have the <CLAN> tag? They would basically need their own freeboota transport wouldn't they?

Transport capacity for all vehicles specifically mention inclusion of Flash Gitz. They iz speshul.

What do you guys think of the new buggies? My immediate reaction to them was pretty meh tbh.

The dragster is sweet because of its 3+ BS S8 D6 damage gun but its a pretty fragile platform that can be screened out of effectiveness fairly easily.

The rivet gun one seemed like the jack of all trades with good shooting (S7 and flat dmg 2 is sweet), flamers, and decent melee, but it again is a fairly fragile platform though it does have better range

The snazzwagon has a hilarious amount of dakka and its personally my favorite model but again for only a single model it just feels too fragile

The plane is getting a lot of attention for all of its rokkits and good melee but its only an ork shooting without the tankbusta re-rolls on vehicles

The squig buggy seems funny but too average at everything to be particularly good at any one thing. Also its expensive

I havent gotten any of them yet so I have no experience with using them. I kinda feel for the same points a unit of biker boyz would be better... any thoughts that may change my mind?

Archived