Optimal Terminator build for veteran squad

BLACK BLΠFLY

Here is how I like to run my veteran squads:

Watch Sergeant - Power Axe & Storm Bolter

Black Shield - Storm Shield & Storm Bolter

2x Veteran - Chainsword & Storm Bolter

Veteran - Deathwatch Frag Cannon

Veteran - Infernus Heavy Bolter

I am thinking I'd like to add a terminator with a storm bolter, power fist and meltagun. Suggestions ? I am really only wanting advice about the terminator build, not tweaking my veteran squad list.

When I had ran a termie or two in vet squads, cheap was the rule. We already lack bodies, but we have the option to build for any purpose. I would say the termie has two purposes: 1) tanking ap- shots, and 2) teleportation (if you have bikes on the board). I made heavy use of teleportation to avoid melee (dropping the homers in my own backline) but also of tanking shots from other troop units.

Yep, I use a power maul in my 10 man kill team. Reason being str 6 matters in wounding things vets have trouble with, Venoms, bikers, DPs, etc. If axes were the same price I would take that instead.

Plus with a maul I can use my limited edition chaplain terminator model who looks like a boss but can't see play because chaplains are so bad.

Another vote for storm bolter with either a power sword or power maul. I started running two in my storm bolter squads and the resilience they provide can't be ignored.

I second lemondish ^^ power sword / maul. My preference is always power maul as they wound T3 on 2’s, T4 on 3’s, T5 on 3’s, T6 on 4’s and T7/8 on 5’s.. where as power swords wound T3 on 3’s, T4 on 4’s and T5/6/7 on 5’s and T8 on 6’s.

It’s a significant difference! Granted you lose AP (which is a valid argument for the sword) but you need to successfully roll to wound before AP comes into effect.

Axes are a nice in between. But only the maul will wound stuff like aggressors on 3’s ;)

Another vote for storm bolter with either a power sword or power maul. I started running two in my storm bolter squads and the resilience they provide can't be ignored.

I second lemondish ^^ power sword / maul. My preference is always power maul as they wound T3 on 2’s, T4 on 3’s, T5 on 3’s, T6 on 4’s and T7/8 on 5’s.. where as power swords wound T3 on 3’s, T4 on 4’s and T5/6/7 on 5’s and T8 on 6’s.

It’s a significant difference! Granted you lose AP (which is a valid argument for the sword) but you need to successfully roll to wound before AP comes into effect.

Axes are a nice in between. But only the maul will wound stuff like aggressors on 3’s :wink:

I know it isn't super important whatsoever, but I prefer the maul because it, to me, feels so quintessentially Deathwatch. Vets look boss with it, Termies do, and to me it stands out as a chiefly iconic piece of gear. 

Though I guess power swords would be just as iconic too, since most Vets in the art are shown carrying them. Man, I wish the sword was a bit cheaper to make up for the fact that its AP can often be wasted. 

Yeah, I really don't like axe. More expensive than the other two power weapons while being at best equal with them.

Also, I am kinda puzzled Blackshield is the sacrificial guy, and not one of the cheaper veterans...

I like this idea and confess I never tried it as a single add on to a squad. I’ve always added stuff which is largely a bad idea. I always take one of this build in my Termies squads but never as a solo model. I may have to try it one day.

I like this idea and confess I never tried it as a single add on to a squad. I’ve always added stuff which is largely a bad idea. I always take one of this build in my Termies squads but never as a solo model. I may have to try it one day.

Vet squads really help them shine. Don't give it the storm shield as you don't want him tanking anything with AP, but keep him cheap.

I have seen some folks add one with the cyclone in a heavy weapons focused vet team as well. Not a very efficient use of points, but neat anyway.

Lots of great advice here - thank you all my brothers. I love the positive energy here.

Absolutely agree. But you should have seen it in here in 7th edition! There were about 6 positive Frater and otherwise just hordes of angry visitors. :) It was a rough time.

Another vote for PS/SB termies. 

even a single termie can drastically improve the units resilience.  Back in the index days, i was running 2 termies and 4 stormshields, and had one unit take an entire round of point blank IG shooting from the entire Guard army and still had Frag cannons left.

Now, with storm bolters, our dudes are better and cheaper.

Thought about a termie with assault cannon just for the dakka thrown in, maybe another for the tanking. But i would still throw 2 shields in there. Was contemplating why not a heavy bolter instead for half the cost but at only 3 shots str 5, think i would still go with the terminator

I am really hoping for some cost reductions in CA, I really want to have one terminator per team for the teleport atleast. Plus I really wanted a HQ in terminator armor but right now you loose so much punch by including them. Taking a terminator and only having a sword and stormbolter is a little anti-climatic but really the only good option right now.

I want to use these models:

20181109_200026.jpg

I also really want to run some assault cannon Termies, too! One of my favourite models in the codex is this guy:

ax3wojd8ldly.jpg

I'm totally going to build him just because he looks fun as hell, but I would just love to have him also be effective on the table :(

I'd also love to have Cyclones be a great wargear choice as well. 

Archived