[Review] Kromlech Legionary Magna Cannon

I started planning a squad-level project and wanted a Multi-Melta. Then I thought about a weapon alternative because the current GW iteration has a large backpack. THEN Kromlech came out with this weapon pack, found HERE.

I didn't take a pic of the blister because ... c'mon. It's a blister pack with three of these things :rolleyes:

SO, I cut out a GW Multi-Multa set and did a side-by-side:

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_14456_903579.jpg

Here is a size comparison:

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_14456_489126.jpg

Another of the back of the Kromlech weapon (or the side that faces the weilder:

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_14456_474450.jpg

Let's get to the parts themselves. As you can see above, the Magna Cannon has three parts: gun, right and left arm. What I did not expect with these parts, is that they fit very precisely with nubbin's popping into holes within the gun piece (words are failing me here). This is the right arm into the back of the gun:

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_14456_370239.jpg

And the left arm fitting into the top of the gun:

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_14456_558007.jpg

Now then, onto a dude. I used a black-painted dude (because Raven Guard), and I think this help highlight the arms and gun of the bitz better. I also did not do a side-by-side of a GW dude because we all may have them and are used to what they are like. Aaaand the one I have is all black (because Raven Guard) so the comparison was tough to see, frankly. Thus, I settled on just the Kromlech parts.

Looking down the barrel of a gun:

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_14456_46945.jpg

Side (Front?) shot:

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_14456_71367.jpg

Back shot:

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_14456_576802.jpg

Left side:

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_14456_293448.jpg

]Final thoughts: This is a neat alternative. In my mind, the strength of the set is that it does not copy GW's use of a back pack to match the weapon. The parts fit a GW model perfectly. The aesthetic is, naturally, futuristic and functional ... almost too functional :tongue.:

I can imagine the Magna Cannon akin to having a limited power supply suitable for a Kill Team. They use it for a dedicated mission, discard the gun once achieved so the unit has increased mobility on the extraction. Or something like that.

If there is a concern, it seems to me the left arm is "longer" than natural, thus it also looks "thinner" at the forearm. Admittedly, for my projects parameters, I don't really care about that at all.

I recommend the set. The price represents a value as you get three in a blister.

Thank you for reading, I hope this may help :thumbsup:

Archived