How would you call this gaming situation ?

BLACK BLΠFLY

So had a game last night and my opponent had a Shadowsword...

I use the strategem first turn to redeploy My Blood Angels Smash Captain with Angel's Wings in a gap he left behind the super heavy to charge it with the other strategem for the rerollable 3d6 charge. I had measured carefully to make sure I was just over 10" away. I roll 12" then it happens - my opponent declares I am over 12" away and cannot assault his super heavy. This mentally caught me off guard... I should have remeasured but instead take his word and charge them into a small of Admech in a closeby building I had also declared the charge against. Of course it is overkill and I wipe the squad with a failed morale test but wow what a major waste of resources and of course he kills my Captain the next turn - just barely. At this point I just let it go but then later in the game my second Smash Captain is able to jump into a building to hide from overwatch and charge the super heavy. Again I measure the distance and roll a 7, I am 5" away charging through some woods so I should be in there... then it happens again my opponent declares I am just out... I am now vexed... with an inch to play he certainly should have been in but again I go with what he says. Finally it happens again when I charge my Allarus into Cawl... same thing but this time I get out the tape measure and he concedes. I just want to know how y'all would handle this type of situation.

One of the things I like to do when I play, when I am moving a unit with the intent of charging later in the turn I measure it out and discuss it with my opponent to make sure we are agreed before I finish moving the model. It tends to dispel any notions like you describe and makes the charge phase easier because you don't need to measure again (unless the model you are charging to/from has died during the turn.)

In this situation the way I would always handle it is declare how far away something is the moment I move or set them up if it is going to be relevant later. When you redeployed the first captain I would have done the measuring right then and declared how he was being set up to my opponent, then when you rolled the actual charge you already know.

Also unless I know the other person very well I never take their word for any measurements that are crucial to the game. I need to see it measured out otherwise I will measure it myself. If something is clearly in range I won't ask them to show me the measurement but otherwise I want to see it clearly measured out.

I measured each charge very carefully actually. Looking back on the first charge there was an enemy character ++right++ beside the super heavy that I placed my Captain 9" away from. Looking back I think he just pulled some fast ones to save his tank. In the future I will always measure and get confirmation from opponents now before rolling the dice.

That guy is a tool. Don't play with him anymore.

I always say "I'm placing my unit just over 9" away from your unit. Does this look good"? Then I measure and have my opponent chime in. That way when the charge roll comes we've already hashed out the measuring!

I'd love to play you Black Orange. Seriously, it's about having a fun mutual experience. At least that's how I feel. That's why we usually play PL, try and only field painted armies, and just tell the tale through dice and plastic soldiers.

I'm glad you posted this, it reminds me about playing with other "non friend" or "non club" people. I used to have a speech up front like, "Hey I'm here to have fun, let me know what is important to you and I'll try and remember that. Here are some things that I like, and here are some things that we do in our group".

Pretty much what everyone else said: I talk about my decisions and measurements, dice rolls such as "hitting on 3's, re-rolling 1's, -1", and such so that there's no such sudden disputes. I like it when my opponents do the same, but it's their call: they just cant be upset if I ask them to measure again....but again, it should be "do you mind measuring that again and showing me?" not "NOPE! You are wrong!"

Chalk it up to being an honorable opponent. But not everyone may be as honorable as you are there, Ned Stark.

Trust but verify.

I talk to my opponent about distances as I make my movements. For example, I'll measure from my unit to theirs before the movement phase. Let's say it's 14 inches - I announce this and make it clear.

After that, if I make my maximum 6" movement towards his unit, for example, we all know my model is 8" away before we have to even measure. This way the intent is clear and there are is no confusion or last minute Gotcha moments.

It caught me off guard literally. He got away with this twice and tried to do it again. I was so mad I didn’t sleep that night. The next time I play him I will stomp into less than dirt.

I wouldn't go that far. That won't be fun for you or him. Just play normally and question every assertion - it'll be better for you and your league in the long run. But, ultimately, your game, so your choice.

If you genuinely believe it was accidental, then give him the benefit of the doubt.

It sounds to me like he was trying to cheat you, if you're going to play him again, watch him like a hawk and don't let him move anything until you've verified the distances. Esepcially his stuff, in my experience the people who measure your ranges short also measure theirs long.

Rik

As much as I'd like to grant the benefit of doubt in casual games, this really stinks like cheating to me. Just call him out on it next time and probably warn your friends to look out for such behaviour when they're playing against him. Just don't start a lynch mob right away.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm pretty good at eyeballing distances, but I'd never say someone didn't have range without having measured it myself.

If I suspected they were out of range I'd ask to verify it with my own tape. And I'm usually pretty lenient about a quarter inch or so either way since you can't always get the tape in for an exact measurement.

That guy sounds like a tool, though.

Archived