Anyone running the Stompa?

Ishagu

My initial instinct is that it needs to drop 200-300 points to actually be useful, but the increases firepower doesn't hurt. I don't have one but if I figure out a good conversion idea (obviously can't buy a stock stompa, my catchphrase is "loot all the things!" after all) and find some good strategem combo or unit synergy nonsense I may build one and try it out.

There’s no denying the kit is nice.

Having been looking through the codex and at the Ork kits I feel a little conflicted about the Stompa.

For the model in $ I can get (through an online discounter) 2 Gorkanaut/Morkanaut kits for almost the same price.

Ironically 2 Gorkanaut/Morkanaut models equate to almost the same number of wounds as the Stompa as well. I realise there are other factors to consider too, like firepower, transport capacity, abilities and stratagems etc etc.

However, for almost the same points cost I can get 3 Gorkanaut/Morkanaut models. Which gives me more wounds and my opponent a target priority issue. Which also tells me the points cost of the Stompa should be reduced somewhat to be more competitive. Note: With the way Mek guns are, would I really field 3 Gorkanauts in the heavy slot? Probably not

All this said, for a nice big centrepiece model though the Stompa looks great. It’s never an easy choice with what is visually impressive versus more competitive rules.

It's awful for its points. Its worse than a knight, and the 40 wounds doesn't help when the degrade chart is so brutal. It's just not good.

if  I wasnt a poor college student, I would definatly play a 2000 point list revolving around one stompa and two 'naughts. Would I get crushed in most games? Probably... but would it be fun to have so many stompy dudes? Heck yea it would!

I own one so I’ll probably play it some time, but it looks very overcosted. The way the degradation goes it looks like it wants to go up and punch a knight in turn one, then spend the rest of the game shooting. I think you also need to use the transport capacity to get the most out of it, and a force field mek inside seems like a must. Obviously you want it in a supreme command detachment to get the kultur benefits as well.

Stompa with a FF Big Mek, 10 Big-Choppa Nobz, Banner Nob with crazy Shoota relic, generic Warboss, 2*6 Nob Bikerz.

"Come at me"

And then a Castellan says "OK" and blows the Stompa off the table in about two turns... :P

The Stompa can certainly do a lot of damage if it gets to melee, but any list designed to deal with Knights - which in a tournament setting is every list - won't have much trouble taking one down.

Archived