Starting Space Marines - DIY chapter.

Warhead01

Update.

I've assembled the dread into parts, subassembled for painting.  I am not a fan of how this thing is suppose to go together at all.  The hips have a post and the torso has no hole for that post. it's an odd design.  
Started to put on the primer last night a bit more to do.

I've been seeing that the color shifting paint needs to go over a gloss primer.  I have a gloss black I will airbrush when I am ready for that step in a few days. 
Should have the next order in today so I'll be sorting out the heavy hellblasters next. 

Update. 

As of today all the models are painted up to the same 3 colors as the chaplain. Nearly out of the base color It's covered 76 (or there about) models so far including the Redemptor dread. With luck there will be enough for the Repulsor tank that I won in an Ebay auction the other day. 

I wasn't able to build a 6th Heavy Hellblaster with the parts in the kit, one bit short. (9 is probably plenty.)

Not sure if I want one of the Primaris army boxes or not. I think I really only need a few more things and as tempting as those Christmas boxes I'm just not sure about buying one.

Update.

wip.

These colors are difficult to get good pictures of.

I think I didn't apply them correctly as the color change is there but very subtle, seems to me. I think I needed the black primer to have more gloss to make them work better. Or more correctly.

gallery_3442_15036_11995.jpg

med_gallery_3442_15036_203575.jpg

med_gallery_3442_15036_96259.jpg

Lots more to do before they are done.

I'm still watching auctions but I really need more paint already to base coat more new models beyond the Repolsor tank that is on the way. I'm thinking about 2 more Redemptor Dreads as well. 1 I know I can get from a friend and I'd like one of the easy to build kits as well.

Update.

I think my war fund is tapped out until the new year...thankfully that's next month! :biggrin.: 
In the last few days I have won 2 auctions for new in box Repulsor tanks! at 62 and 63 dollars respectively. that includes the price of shipping! 
So Huzzah! The star slayers will be starting 2019 fully painted if I can keep the progress going.

Well, they'll be done enough to play with and still have room to be improved upon. (Just like I always seem to do.) 

Update.

Finally have that repulsor tank built. I couldn't find a part and thought it wasn't even in the kit or the instructions. But no, I'm just blind. 
I'm leaving all the equipment off the sides. Will start the primer today and hope to have it 3 colors very quickly. 

I've been giving a lot of thought to how to field Old-Marines with my Primaris and it's leading me to thinking I need to make some changes to my First Legion next year. 

I like MK VI armour the most as it reminds me of the Plastic first edition Space Marines from long ago.  "This one time at a game store", I saw someones old school army painted as Dark Angels and they were painted very nicely but simply as well and I've always wanted an army just like that ever after.  Now I don't think it's either practical or possible to do that but I think MK IV is fairly close, close enough. It's in plastic and I already have most of my legion in MK IV. So I may well part with my MK III and replace those units as well as add the additional weapons and squads I may want for 8th edition.  Seems the most functional way to go about things. This still allows for units like the Thinderfire cannon, although not Primaris, to be fielded from my chapter of Nu-Marines. 

I recently saw the Emperors spears thread and learned of their Chapter Tactic. I like it a lot. If lets my play more or less the way I want but adds a bit of punch in close combat where Primaris need a little help. 

Next update should have some pictures.

Loving your metallic marine pics. Where’s the emperor spear chapter tactics ?

I'm very glad you like them. Thank you.

I read they had a warlord trait and after a quick image search it turned up. 

Very basically, a to hit roll in close combat scores 2 hits instead of 1.  (That should just be a Primaris special rule if you ask me...)

I don't know that posting the picture with the rules that I found would be within the rules but it's easy to find. 

Honestly choosing a chapter has been, and still is, a difficult thing. I'm not overly excited about any of them right now. Dark Angels seems to be better for my play style than the ones in the codex but my army will be fairly generic so I can try which ever trait I like for any given game. It wont bother anyone I play with. at some point I'll find the one I like the most and just stick with it.  Probabaly because it help me list tailor against a particularly beardy friend. lol :wink:

Update.

Repulsor wip

med_gallery_3442_15036_15026.jpg

med_gallery_3442_15036_169849.jpg

I'm not sure I like the color change on it. It's difficult to manage because of the flat sides, where the marines have all the rounded sides and the color change is different.

I can always change it later when I paint the second one.

I am pleased to report that I have ordered CA 2018 this morning. I had been tempted by the fancy edition but decided to buy just the book from the Ebay store I use the most. Preorders from them take just a bit longer to get but they have been 100% reliable. Money well spent. 

Update.

Adding the ledbelcher to the hell blasters, 10 yesterday hope for the next 10 today, leaving 10 more and 3 Interceptors. (If that's what they are called...lol
Making plans for my first legions to come back to life in the new year.  Making a list and checking it twice. 
I'll probably buy the DA codex, as they are first legion, and just roll with that after I sell this chapter/project next year. I want to get at least 10 games with it first and that could take 6 or 7 months.  Or something amazing will happen and I'll keep it.  Lots of time to think about that and lots of other models to sell ahead off in the new year. I have collected way too much again.

Thank you.

It was a bit of a pain to put on. I should have given my Airbrush a through cleaning before I tried to put color on the Reoulsor. It gave me some problems. Also I think I made a silly mistake missing a color, I use 3 colors for the blended base coats. No matter. lol. I'm glad you like it I kinda do and kinda don't.

Update.

Repulsor tank number 2 has arrived and assembly and primer is the larger project this week. 

Still slowly plugging away on the hell blasters. About 13 more models need the ledbelcher color. 
My Neon paint has yet to arrive. Maybe by the end of the week or next week. 
Also ordered CA 2018 so I will have the up to date points and all that good stuff.

Nearly frustrated with this project as it's so far outside of my comfort zone.   

If the paint was as difficult to get I may have abandoned these color already. 

Update.

Started to primer some of the Repulsor on the sprue. The spots I found difficult to prime once the other one was assembled.  Should have assembly done over the weekend and maybe get it fully primed black. If the temperature drops I may not be able to get that done as it messes with the air brushing, primer and paint. 
I finally got the neon paints I had ordered from Scale75. Now I see a similar product from Green stuff world. I am still waiting on the two bottles I just reordered from GSW. they had some kind of issue in sending them to me or something it wasn't clear to me, for some reason they needed a second mailing address. Which I don't have. But I think we got that sorted out.

My usual scrumgrod  (Ork speak, sorry.  You'll get used to it. lol.)  is excited to kill my space marines with his ...competitive army he's building. 
I am sure I told him I was only planning to kill Orks with this army...  He's not collection Orks.  

I'm trying to figure out how to paint the banner so it works with the colors I am using. Haven't tried anything yet but I may air brush it a minty white and silver, or something. 
I feel though that less is more so I may just paint on some silvers on the details. something simple. 

Update.

Over the weekend I did manage to build the second Repulsor tank. 
This one was more difficult to assemble than the first one. So many gaps in the model that I can't fix. I really wish the body of the vehicle was just a few snap together parts it would make it a much better kit.

Will prime it black in a day or two and am waiting for the paint to come in. 
Next kits on the list are 3 more interceptors and another Redemptor Dreadnought . After that I may look at some Reavers. I am really looking forward to future non infantry kits for Primaris. 
When ever that happens. 

Update.

I had the time yesterday to prime the Repulsor. It warmed up enough to airbrush the primer on. Cooler temperatures seem to do funny things to my paint out in the shop. (I leave my airbrush stuff out there. )  I plan to try this afternoon or tomorrow to put the gloss black onto the Repulsor and another Lt. Then I just have to wait for the fancy pain to arrive. 

I am considering 3 more interceptors and another Redemptor  
After that I guess I need to play a few games and see what areas my army is lacking. 
I'm planning to play games at 2500 to 3000 points so I can, hopefully, use all my models. I will start a list after my CA2018 arrives to see what I have. 

Was wondering if anyone could tell me if the Primaris Captain had been changed any, to allow it to buy a Power Fist? 

Not much of an update.

My Neon paints came in and I am still learning how to layer them correctly. I plan for neon colored eyes in the helmets, using pink and white. 
I have skimmed the CA2018 and I really like the custom character charts. I'm in the process of planning a "Chapter Master" a Captain and maybe another character.  
I know the "doesn't use points" is a turn off for some people but I want to give it a go when I can set up a game. Most of my opponents use special characters anyway so this is a lot like that as far as I care. 
I'm planning a close combat tank character who should be a load of trouble for the Orks to put down.  
Again, still just skimming the charts and haven't put anything to paper yet. 

Still waiting on the fancy paint from Spain, and I'll get back to painting when it comes in. 
In the meantime I am playing Neverwinter nights on PC to croupy my over active mine. And that's been a lot of fun. 

Oh, I also started to paint the purity seals as well. Just base coating them now, nothing flashy. 

My Usual Scrumgrod is foaming at the mouth for his next 40K fix. He is looking forward to slaughtering my new army.....   
I think we need to play a Maelstrom of war game to even the odds, hope he has a set of cards. lol

this thread needs more pictures!

Preferably some daylight pictures of your army with that fancy colour shifting paint on it.

Your right. Not planning to take any good pictures until the work is done. I assembly line paint so a few wip pictures here and there is the most practical thing for me.

Update.

A picture of suspect quality...

med_gallery_3442_15036_68025.jpg med_gallery_3442_15036_11006.jpg

Neon pink base coat for the eye slits. I haven't painted in a while and am having trouble getting it right but I guess I just need to thin the color and put on a coat or two and let it dry. I like how it's finally turning out and plan to put in a thin crisp white line, in the eyes. should pop really well.

still trying to decide how best to base these models. Might just pain in some texture jell color it and add some flocking. maybe a few skulls, lightly. Most of these models are second hand and I am not sure how they were glued to their bases and don't wish to ruin anything trying to remove them from the bases.

With luck my next bottle of fancy pain will be in this week, or next. Going to check the pobox tomorrow.

Hope everyone has had and is having a pleasant series of preferred and Inquisition approved days of end of cycle joy as the Emperor requires.

Update.

Working on the plasma weapons in a neon green. 
Also I had the good luck to score a limited edition Primaris Captain new in the box from a friend. The same one that sold me some of these models. I guess he just buys stuff and later if he hasn't done anything with it sell it. But I got a good price for it for sure. Should be here in a week or how ever long. 

Update.

I've sorted out all the plasma weapons and the purity seals are 2 color base coated. My refill of fancy pain has just arrived home today!
I am waiting for my friend to tell me he's shipped the model to me, I expect some time this week. I am planning to wait to put any more base coats down until that model is here and ready for paint.

In the between time I have this picture to show.

gallery_3442_15036_41498.jpg