Starting Space Marines - DIY chapter.

Warhead01

Yes and no.  I did something very similar to a Necron army several years ago but it involved a lot of airbrushing steps for a lot more glow.  I usually prefer a magenta color for my plasma weapons but after the color I chose for the eyes I wanted a different color.  I hadn't specifically thought about the green rods the Necron guns have at the time. I was looking for a color to pop with the other colors I had used.  If I can figure it out I may spend a little more time on the plasma weapons later. I know most people, or mostly they are a bright base color then a light or white color on the ridges of the weapon. If I can see how I should do that I might. 

Do you like the Green the way it is?  

The green IS a striking color.

Haha. I agree. I hope it looks good on the table. 

I'm looking at a new Digi cam for better pictures and have to look at some reviews to help me make up my mind. I know better pictures is a goal I should shoot for. 

Update.

Well, I couldn't wait. I have started the second Lieutenant and the Repulsor tank. My friend said he shipped the mini yesterday so if I am lucky it will be here tomorrow, Monday for sure. 

• 4 months later...

Small update.

I got to play my first game with this army and my first game in 6 months. 
Space marines vs Space Marines seemed balanced at first but sadly the game lasted 2 turns. 
My Primaris army shredded the 3 Predator annihilators parked to my far left in front of my army, I had packed into my left flank.  The game was called due to my opponent having no meaningful chance with the rest of his force against my army after that, I had lost no models. 
I really like the way the list I was trying out was headed but feel I need to add other units to increase variety in the next 500 points. (at 2000 points.) I did forget to pick both a warlord trait and a psyker power... which I didn't realize until the next day. :whistling: 
I am starting to look at the next 500 points and bought a stormhawk Interceptor. I am also looking at a surpressor squad but don't have the rules for them yet and don't know where in the foc they fall so they will wait for a bit. Very tempted to add a third repulsor tank or maybe another redemptor. This list was very shooty. Just a little freaked out at how one sided the game was.

I'm starting to come around to the new Space Marines from the shadow-spear set. maybe. Kinda like the suppressor squad but haven't seen the rules and don't know if they can be taken, or how, as part of my army But if they are a heavy support choice then cool. 

Pics man, pics. I'm dying to see any progress on those paints you were using :smile.:

I hit a small snag. I was trying to use more color shifting paint on the capes but I felt it looked really bad. I guess I hadn't picked a good color to offset against the armour. Still trying to pick a good solid color for the capes And possibly for filling in the area of the shoulder plate. I kinda thing these look a little off as they are now. At any rate my next model is built and primered black and waiting for paint. I am now also looking at the vangard (?sp?) but trying to find out if I can just pick units from that new set to add to my list. At this point everything has the same level of paint on it except the new flyer and I am tempted to wait for the etl to paint it just cause I'm still not really feeling Orky..... (:sad.: And haven't for almost a year now. )

But I think I can manage some pictures in a weeks time. I have a lot of models painted and I owe a lot of pictures in verious places.:biggrin.: 

Purple ... now let’s roll Brother .... says the guy whose built less than 30 models and only base coated 2/3 of those :)

Serious though I liked where you were headed and look forward to anything you post. If it takes time then it takes time. (I should know lol) getting it the way you want is the important part.

Good Gaming

More good news!
The Vanguard Marines I ordered have arrived at the post. The difficult part is do I paint them with the fancy paint or...Black like my First Legion. 
A part of me wishes I had painted all of this like my First Legion even though it's turning out nicely and very unique. 
It may be possible that I will vow these new units for the ETL this year. Super excited about the Suppressor squad.(I think that's what they're called.) 
I've seen them all over Ebay and we'll see but I may buy another squad or two after I have had a look at their stats and points costs. 

On the painting side, I could always paint the clot portion of those models black and greys. I just gave my Jungle terrain to WLK for games at his place so the cammo should be more universal or completely outrageous. 

I'm looking for a good background and lighting set up for more proppa pictures. I've seen a light box with lights for a low price on Amazon buy may try to make one. (I've thought about it for years though.)

Light progress on the Interceptor bolt gun metal and neon Pink added more to do. 

Update.

Today was a productive hobby day. I managed to assemble all 12 Vanguard Space Marine models.

I was also lucky to score a second Redemptor and 3 more Suppressors from ebay, brand new, for less than 60.00 usd.
No more new models until next month......and that isn't very far away.:unsure.:

med_gallery_3442_15036_221352.jpg

med_gallery_3442_15036_61893.jpg

At this point I am looking for a set of colors for all Vanguard that aren't fancy color shift paint but instead something more practical for what they are.
These may even be from a different chapter, who can say at this point what will happen. Oh, wait that only works if I get a few more Infiltrator squads as troops... Here we go again.

Update.

All the Vanguard Marines are now primered black. Waiting for the last few models to arrive. 
I think I have decided these marines should be from a second chapter. Likely an other DIY name but using White Scars chapter tactics seems very useful at the moment. 
This came about because of HH book 8 and the pioneer companies cammo colors. Also adding 2" of advance will really go a long way to keeping an active dead zone. Which is a good start to protecting the rest of my army from being on the receiving end of a nasty turn 1.  I hope to fight a lot of Orks and need to keep their tricks at bay for as long as I can.  (Can you imagine doing that past their third turn. lol.) 
I'm now 50/50 on the new tank from the preview. Not sold on the Plasma option yet. I have trouble seeing it as a very good option over all the Las on a Repulsor. However the other weapon, can't remember what it's called, is what I plan to use right now unless it's not even as good as the plasma option. But we'll see. I struggle with the plasma as a good choice because its only 2 damage a shot at best and prefer the D6 or better when I can get it.  The Orks KMK's and Smasha guns sink plasma as an impressive option when not found in a squad of 10 models. I actually thing that Plasma incinerator should have been D2 base and 3 or more with overcharge. But I'm not a game designer. 

So all that said I have to figure out the cammo colors and pattern for my Vanguard force next...and buy more Infiltrators...they have Combat Squad! :teehee:  

That makes them an amazing part of my deployment plans. Maybe I should be using 3 full squads? 

We are the sort who understand that camouflage, stealth, and guerrilla tactics make us more effective in combat.

Bright primary colors and war cries might get a lot of attention and strike fear into the heart of the enemy - but a sniper round in the heart works just as well. :ph34r.:

I'm not sure how that would translate to my playstyle currently. 
My main theme in colors was meant to be a spin on the bright metallic of the Cylons from BSG.  But it wen't in a slightly different direction when I went with the color shifting paints. 
I am now still "struggling" with either keeping with hose colors or not.  

Update. 
My latest Redemptor is getting color today and all of my Vanguard are built and primered including the latest second suppressor squad. Holding off on a third until I have played a few games with them. 

• 2 weeks later...

Update.

Here are both Redemptors next to each other to show the way the colors look as they change depending on the angle of view.
gallery_3442_15036_87829.jpg

A little cleaner look of the first on in this picture.

med_gallery_3442_15036_66902.jpg

med_gallery_3442_15036_105755.jpg

My Vanguard are all at this stage. Still not sure what I want to do with them yet.

lol. I struggle a lot with my chosen colors. Glad you like them.

Update. 
I now have 3 more Inceptors to add to my squad, all fancy bolters. Might add some with plasma later. But my next planned purchase is either another Repulsor or the Tank Killer Repulsor. Waiting to see just what the rules for this new one are before I decide either way.  

No progress on the Vanguard at this time. 

Will update again when there is any progress at all with anything... and hopefully with a few pictures.

• 3 weeks later...

Update. 

I seem to have misplaced 3 flying stands for the Inceptors, I'll need to fix that.

Looking at he new repulsor/tank killer. 
First thoughts.
Yikes but that costs way too much! (In very large capital letters." 
Second thoughts. Nearly wonder if I can move the twin heavy bolters to the turret and the Neutron zapper to the hull.
A fixed forward facing anti tank gun.

No progress on any models to report, I did a vehicle for the Orks subforum for the ETL and have been otherwise busy .