Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Man of Iron confirmed for Blackstone Fortress

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

Irbis

Irbis

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,287 posts

I think that if they went with a true dark age of technology design it'd probably be something more like a cloud of nanites. I quite like this design as it passes for Imperial tech but there is something much more sinister inside.

I always thought of Men of Iron technology similar to Necron technology just without metal skeletons and obviously egyptian influences ... probably just because we know basically nothing about them and Necrons are the most technological advanced faction we have models for in 40k tho lol

*cough* Jokaero *cough* whistlingW.gif

• sfPanzer likes this

Rogue

Rogue

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 464 posts
  • Faction: Gorgons

Is it just me, or does the man of iron not look as advanced as you were expecting? To me it sort of looks like something from a 19th century sci-fi novel, rather than from the DoT. I thought we might get something that felt like it was from an Iain Banks Culture novel.

Although it’s not unknown for Culture drones (particularly the teched-to-the-teeth military ones) to ‘wear’ much clunkier shells to disguise their capabilities a little when working around non-Culture types.

gallery_48988_15094_7420.png ETL_2018_Medal_04_ETL_Magister.gifETL_2018_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei_02.gif

So far this year: one patriarch, two genestealers, and 50+ marines based

Doghouse

Doghouse

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,143 posts
  • Faction: Summoners

I think that if they went with a true dark age of technology design it'd probably be something more like a cloud of nanites. I quite like this design as it passes for Imperial tech but there is something much more sinister inside.

I always thought of Men of Iron technology similar to Necron technology just without metal skeletons and obviously egyptian influences ... probably just because we know basically nothing about them and Necrons are the most technological advanced faction we have models for in 40k tho lol

Yeah I can see where you are coming from there for sure. The only actual canon time I have seen them personalty is in the comic strip Pax Imperialis where it was shown as a single consciousness that could occupy machines. Truth is though it could be that it took many forms, so it could be a case of actual robots on one planet or clouds of nanites on another or a computer virus on yet another. It might just be humanity lost control of technology because it advanced so far and in historical terms, looking back from what is now a very superstitious time, it is referred to in human terminology as a machine rebellion. 

When I imagine the dark age of technology I personally look at today's tech and then think ok so say ten thousand years from now what are we going to be looking at in terms of development? I personally believe that the tech might be so advanced we may not be able to comprehend what we are seeing through our present day eyes. It's like where they say that technology at some point would appear like magic to someone who was far more primitive.

• sfPanzer likes this

TRUESCALE SPACE MARINE TUTORIAL

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Spoiler

Hyperion

Hyperion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,015 posts
I like the idea that one of the most dangerous threats ever to face humanity look just like goofy 50’s sci-fi robots!
  • Doghouse, Marshal Rohr, Sir_Gaea and 1 other like this
ETL_2016_Banner_01_Oath_of_Moment.jpg

b1soul

b1soul

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,969 posts
Well, Mechanicus automata generally have that vibe...and UR-025 is probably going for that look. I do think he looks a bit sleeker though

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 14,694 posts
  • Faction: 7th Terran Regiment

Liberty Priman of Iron

Your opinion is important, and someone posting here probably does care what you think. You should go tell them. Remember that it really hurts to come up with an idea you care about and have no one else care. Go care about something and tell them what you think. Now. Think of what it would have meant to you when you were young.

+++The Iterators Guild+++

A Group for Lore Minded Hobbyists and World Building Projects

Obscura

Obscura

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 424 posts
  • Faction: VII / III Legion

"Mission! The destruction of any and all Tau communists!"

"Xenos is the very definition of failure!"

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 14,902 posts
  • Faction: Knights of Baal

"Mission! The destruction of any and all Tau communists!"

Well good thing for the T'au Empire that such a thing doesn't exist then. ;)

Disclaimer:

If my posts appear rude to you, I apologize. It's not meant to be rude in any way, it's just the way folks are in my country. It's really more about being direct than being rude. I know how it's perceived in the english speaking community and I already try to tone it down but I barely notice when it's too much since it's normal for me.

So yeah, I'm really not rude it's basically just cultural differences that act against me here. Again, I apologize.

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users