Lord of Skulls vs Brass Scorpion

HeresyBeliever

Good afternoon, 

So I am trying to decide between the Lord of skulls or the Brass Scorpion

Rule of Cool Scorpion wins hands down but i do like both the models

In game on paper:

Scorpion:

The potential for good damage out put in shooting if you get the good rules on D6 amount of shots

Good Combat ability

Only 20 wounds

650 points

Lord of Skulls:

28 wounds (can take 2 more lascannons to kill)

Great Combat ability which gets better as it gets hurt

I wound use the Gorestorm Cannon / Skull Hurler so good shooting when looking to kill large units of bodies (combat is better against heavy units looking at you knights)

552 points

I'm edging towards the Lord of skulls but would like to know how people have been getting on with them in 8th edition on the table top

Lord of Skulls can also (blasphemously) get buffed by psychic powers.

Rule of cool you’re right, hands down. Scorpion is a bit too pricy with too few wounds IMO.

Just sell your soul and buy both!

I really like my Greater Brass Scorpion of Khorne.  It is expensive for what it does.  There is one advantage it has over the Lord of Skulls that may not be immediately obvious:  The Scorpion has a much lower profile, so you can actually hide it behind LOS-blocking terrain sometimes; that's much harder to do with the Lord of Skulls.  Even one turn hidden behind LOS-blocking terrain can mean the difference between the Scorpion making it into the enemy's lines.  With the Scorpion, you really want to be up close and personal when you launch your attacks.  

I have some photos of my Scorpion in my gallery if you want to check them out.

A friend of mine got a Brass Scorpion a few years ago, and I've had the chance to see the model both before and after painting. To be frank, I was rather unimpressed... I dont know if it was just his model, but the molding was not the best, and quite a few pieces were bent or sunken... Also, the detail just isnt that impressive. It looks great from the front, but the back and underbelly is nothing more than cables... Which look like they've been ziptied together and then made a mold out of. 

And no, it wasnt a recast from China.. Was an actual FW order... 

My money is on the Lord of Skulls. For one, it's a plastic kit, so much easier to work than Resin. 

The big pull of the Greater Brass Scorpion is it's shooting, anti psychic capabilities, and longer charge range. It depends on what you want to do, to have fun buy whatever. If you want to leave a bloody wake, I would say the Khorne Lord of Skulls or Kytan Ravager.

I really like my Greater Brass Scorpion of Khorne.  It is expensive for what it does.  There is one advantage it has over the Lord of Skulls that may not be immediately obvious:  The Scorpion has a much lower profile, so you can actually hide it behind LOS-blocking terrain sometimes; that's much harder to do with the Lord of Skulls.  Even one turn hidden behind LOS-blocking terrain can mean the difference between the Scorpion making it into the enemy's lines.  With the Scorpion, you really want to be up close and personal when you launch your attacks.  

I have some photos of my Scorpion in my gallery if you want to check them out.

The scorpion is a model I'd love to paint up, so I vote for it.

These are all valid points. I can also confirm that the Brass Scorpion is an utter joy to paint, but like most Forge World models, getting it prepped for painting is a chore and a half :lol:

I wish the kytan was the model for the Lord of skulls and the tractor part was for the kytan. The Khorne tractor looks stupid to me. Like those :cussty tank tread armored cores.

The Lord of Skulls is dorky but the Kytan is just boring, like a Decimator's big brother* he just sticks out among the Daemon Engines as creatively bankrupt. Brass scorpion is the best visually hands down.

Lord of Skulls: A low fidelity concept tactlessly recreated in high definition

Kytan Ravager: A quick fix conversion sold as a professional product

Brass Scorpion: A cheesy comic book superweapon executed with a stealth bomber meets sports car sensibility

*or maybe the Chaos Ta'unah in that they both sidestep dubiously executed but ambitious kits by offering an uninspired but much easier to make look cool alternative. Both can look cool but ultimately are a sane man's solution to a madman's problem

Archived