Your Favourite Emperor Origin Ideas

b1soul

What's yours?

Mine is...the Emperor is a DAoT superweapon (as suggested in MoM).

The Neolithic Anatolian origin is a purposeful fabrication.

The Emperor was created during the DAoT, but not by humans. The Men of Iron were programmed to preserve the human species, and they sensed the danger brewing in the Warp.

Some Men of Iron concluded that the best way would be to cull all human carriers of the psyker gene (whether recessive or dominant). Other Men of Iron concluded that humanity's ultimate preservation would best be achieved through the creation of a super-being to lead and unite the species. These latter Men of Iron were fewer in number but managed to help humanity defeat the former Men of Iron, and secretly created the Emperor during this time. They then deactivated or destroyed themselves (or went into exile) in recognition of their inability to guarantee that they would never become hostile to humanity in the future.

The Emperor is the genetically perfect psychic human created by machines created by humans. He completes the circle. Alternatively, he is the ultimate evolution of the Men of Iron, a Man of Iron capable of macro-scale (or incredible precise) manipulation the Warp through incredibly advanced technology. He was designed to be mankind's ultimate sheperd, and the culmination of the Iron Men's mission to protect their creators.

According the the fluff the Emperor is in existence now, biding his time. I've asked a few BL author's what he is doing right now

John French said "Brushing his teeth"

Graham MacNeill said "Answering this question".

Hahaha! Nice!

Well the generally accepted theory is that the EoM was born in the middle east prior to any major civilizations but after villages and agriculture. So pre Mesopotamian (3500BCE) and post agriculture (8000BCE).

I like to think it was like in Highlander. The Emperor is The One who got The Prize.

There are since more immortals/perpetuals that have come along, but he's the strongest.

He could also be Vandal Savage. With Rhs Al Ghul being Malcador (who is Master of assassins...)

I don't think it ever stopped being canon. Not explicitly. I think they just never mentioned it again and changed their narrative to "and then the emperor showed up and started sorting everything out"

Part of the 3rd edition grimdarkening of the setting was the wide berth they left for the imagination to run wild between uncertainty and the unknown.

That was a large part of the appeal for me... And the more info they gave us the more uncertain our grasp on the setting. Honestly that's why I loved the line from...

...master of mankind about the emperor, accused of being a weapon from the dark age of technology left out of its box.

Not because I believe it's true. But because it's believable. Anything that casts doubt on the "facts" of Warhammer 40k is a good thing these days and we need more of that to counteract what I see as the past few years of "illumination".

My own theory is that the Emperor is presently indisposed, and not by choice. 

You know how Oll is making his way to Terra with a god-killing weapon? I reckon it's not the first time he's done it, and he previously managed to lock the Emperor away/render Him comatose before He was accidentally awoken in the Dark Age of Technology. The Emperor apparently has knowledge of ancient times, and while He's clearly more than the average perpetual TMoM suggests He did have something resembling a childhood in those times, so I'm not sure He's a creation per se. 

Oll is the perfect foil to both the Emperor and Horus. He's kind where Horus is cruel, and softly spiritual while the Emperor is a militant utilitarian. Oll will battle both of them on the Vengeful Spirit, and his death will usher in the end of common humanity.

The men of iron theory has nice echoes of 2001: A Space Odyssey, transforming the Nietzschean ape -> man -> superman into man -> machine -> superman. However the original shaman origin is still the best for me.

I was always more interested in the question of what cover identities has He adopted over the years.

Who the heck is Oll?

He's a 'perpetual' that's been running around since the 'birth' of the Emperor or before. It's fairly recent fiction, introduced in the last decade or so through the HH Novels. 

The name Ollanius Pius did exist back in the RT days, but back then he was just a footnote on a piece of artwork - IIRC, it was either in the RT Rulebook or White Dwarf. Basically he was a Guardsman with balls of solid brass who shirt-fronted the Lupercal at the siege of Terra. 

-Ran

Who the heck is Oll?

He's a 'perpetual' that's been running around since the 'birth' of the Emperor or before. It's fairly recent fiction, introduced in the last decade or so through the HH Novels.

The name Ollanius Piusdid exist back in the RT days, but back then he was just a footnote on a piece of artwork - IIRC, it was either in the RT Rulebook or White Dwarf. Basically he was a Guardsman with balls of solid brass who shirt-fronted the Lupercal at the siege of Terra.

-Ran

Gotcha! I knew of the lone guardsman. And I had heard of ollanius Pius. Thanks. Connecting dots.

Who the heck is Oll?

To expand on the other posters, Oll is a perpetual with knowledge of ancient Terra, and he is friendly with at least one other perpetual. He currently possesses an anathame, and can use it to cut holes in reality and teleport between worlds. He's making his way to Terra with a Scooby-Doo gang of nice, ordinary humans and is considered such a threat that the Chaos Gods dispatched M'Kar to kill him, only for Oll to stave him off.

I rather like the MoM angle so that probably takes primacy for me, but I'm also okay with him being one of 'the first great mistakes' of the Old One theory, the lone survivor.  While I started 40K in that whole Shaman neolithic gestalt era stuff, I always hated it and the Star Child Sensai story angles.  It just never fit for me, like a few significant plot points in 40K.  

Personally I like to believe the Emperor was/is a Bollywood actor that needed no special effects or CGI. Drifting a horse under a box truck, sure! Pulling a dude out of an airborne mid-flip SUV through a window, easy-peasy! Getting the masses to follow his song and dance numbers, well what do you think he founded the Imperium for!

Please note: I also treat the idea of the Emperor faffing about with a Text-to-Speech device as cannon...

Who the heck is Oll?

The name Ollanius Pius did exist back in the RT days, but back then he was just a footnote on a piece of artwork - IIRC, it was either in the RT Rulebook or White Dwarf. Basically he was a Guardsman with balls of solid brass who shirt-fronted the Lupercal at the siege of Terra. 

-Ran

And the original bit of lore about him made note that nothing much was known about this Saint except his heroic actions and that while he was the patron saint of the Imperial Guard it was very possible that he didnt even exist and simply was a fabrication by the Ecclesiarchy or a piece of Imperial propaganda, he never existed in any of the Horus Heresy tellings of the Emperor's encounter with Horus except in this bit of lore.

Personally I like the Emperor as he is now, an Indo-European born out of the sacrifice of thousands of Shamans and early psykers to become a new man to lead Humanity against the universe and that he now leads the Imperium in mysterious ways as he suffers in the Golden Throne for the sake of Humanity, he is grim salvation.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160418053625/https://bsfa.co.uk/www.vectormagazine.co.uk/article.asp?articleID=42.html

Something about the Warhammer air inspired Kim [Newman]. With enviable fluency he would produce seven novels for GW in those first years, as well as contributions to the anthologies. Kim was certainly inventive and playful with material others found constricting. 'I thought [playfulness] was inherent in the material, which had some jokey aspects — the town in the Warhammer version of Spain which is equivalent to Bilbao is called Bilbali, the history of the Empire features an Empress Magritta who came to power in 1979 and oppressed everyone, and in 40K there was some talk that the immortal emperor should be revealed as Cliff Richard.'

Archived