Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Selling handmade terrain: Painted or unpainted?

handmade scenery terrain

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

leinglo

leinglo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 13 posts
  • Faction: Grey Wings

So I'm thinking of getting into selling handmade terrain on Ebay. Mostly stuff like plateaus, rock spires and small mountains, the kind of terrain that would be for badlands, desert, or cave themed environments, though I'm also considering pieces for earthen breastworks and trench systems. Nothing master-class here, it's meant to be cheap and simple. My primary question is this: should I make the extra investment of painting these terrain pieces so they can be used immediately, or should I sell them plain and unpainted so someone can paint them up themselves to their own theme and standards? The latter is what I would want to do as a hobbyist myself.

Edited by leinglo, 10 November 2018 - 05:06 AM.

"Sweat saves blood, blood saves lives, and brains save both."

Grotsmasha

Grotsmasha

++ TORTOR PUMILI ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,918 posts

In my experience, finished hand made terrain is much more valuable and sought after.

Cheers,

Jono

• Doghouse likes this

gallery_48988_6285_23120.png ETL_2018_Medal_02_Oath_Breaker.gif ETL_Medal_06.gifgallery_48988_10069_34672.png gallery_48988_11572_25584.pnggallery_48988_10069_10569.jpg

Check out my current and past projects HERE  Heralds of Devastation

Help fund the B&C : Buy a model painted by me

MARK0SIAN

MARK0SIAN

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 679 posts
I’d be more likely to buy terrain like that if it was painted. You could always offer both painted and unpainted though in case anyone wants to do their own.

Edited by MARK0SIAN, 10 November 2018 - 12:20 PM.

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 13,571 posts
  • Faction: Knights of Baal

If you go for easy and simple terrain then definitely try to sell it painted. People who will buy such terrain over super detailed terrain like the Kromlech HDF terrain are the ones who try to save time&work. The ones who wouldn't mind painting their terrain themselves most likely wouldn't mind building easy&simple terrain themselves either.

Disclaimer:

If my posts appear rude to you, I apologize. It's not meant to be rude in any way, it's just the way folks are in my country. It's really more about being direct than being rude. I know how it's perceived in the english speaking community and I already try to tone it down but I barely notice when it's too much since it's normal for me.

So yeah, I'm really not rude it's basically just cultural differences that act against me here. Again, I apologize.

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: handmade, scenery, terrain

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users