Ultimate Warhammer Experience (UK ONLY)

Joe

So when's the part where they take you all to the GW secret vault and show you the next year of releases? :tongue.:

Just kidding, just kidding. Man I'd love to be in the same room as Jes Goodwin, specially now that his CSM sketches from back in the 90s are being given new life with all of the recent and upcoming Chaos releases.

Would be nice to hear about the tour in a bit more detail if that’s possible Fr33Dom. Despite not getting to see the next 3 years worth of stuff, I bet it was fascinating.

No mate honestly it wasn’t.

Started at 0930 and we were split into 6 groups. Our group was number 3 and our starting bit was with Dan Abnett and him talking about Gauntd ghosts. We had 45 mins with him and some other bloke asking questions then it was our turn to ask. And about 6 guys asked the usual where does your inspiration come from etc.

Then it was into the studios where we thought we might see peachy and Duncan but there wasn’t a soul to be seen. Again another 45 mins watching all the videos we’ve seen on the warcom site the last year so nothing new.

Then it was onto the exhibition tour which lasted about 30 mins and we went into the workshop at the end of the big Ultramarines display and it was your usual workshop like you used to get in school. Nothing here just the bloke telling us this is where all the dioramas are made.

Next it was lunch for an hour and it was chaos with us in the staff restaurant and the staff with us too. It got to the point where me and my mate thought sod waiting for our group to get called up. We just went and queued up for our scran.

After lunch we went to the see the 40k team. GW had cordoned off a corner of the warhammer world games room and erected some panels so the gamers and public couldn’t see inside. We went in and a few designers were there along with Jes Goodwin. GSC codex was there to have a look at. But nothing we’ve not seen before.

After that it was to the opposite end of the room where they’d done same but for AOS. Me and my mate got bored with that and went to bugmans for a drink then did the exhibition in our own time. We got in free being vip guests.

And then finally it was back to the restaurant for a green screen picture opportunity with a stupidly oversized Bolter and hammer which me and my buddy declined and a chat with the new white dwarf editor who looked like he’d rather of been somewhere else. I’m pretty tired by this point and just wanted to go home. And then we had to clap for the amazing job the staff apparently did and then was given a goodie bag with a mug, a T-shirt (which is to small) and a art print of Fabius bile. Me and my mate reckon their just trying to get rid of old stock.

Honest opinion was it wasn’t worth getting up at 4:30am for it. Should’ve been called the alright experience. Ultimate it wasn’t. Best bit was definitely Dan Abnett.

Ah that’s disappointing, what a shame. Would have been easy to make it a real experience for you guys but sounds like they did a minimum effort job. And with what’s been said over in the HH weekender thread, sounds like the events team needs a good kick up the fudament.

Thanks for the write up though!

Oh yeah I forgot to mention, my friend kept trying to catch out the designers and staff about Abaddon being released but they were being tight lipped about it. Then in the shop he got chatting to one of the staff behind the counter and mentioned it again and he said ‘they let you see Abaddon? I didn’t think they were doing that today. What do you think of him? He’s cool isn’t he?’

My mate then said ‘Na man I’m only kidding!’ And the look on the employees face was like he’d seen a ghost.

Now honestly make of that what you will but I’d take that with a pinch of salt.

A nice day out but not the "ultimate Warhammer experience" they were promising. I hope you conveyed your thoughts to the staff, Fr33dom.

Honestly I was so tired because I only had four hours sleep I just wanted to get home mate. If they email me asking how I thought it went I’ll give them some feedback etc. But I’m not really one to complain. Typical Brit lol.

A few years ago I went to a 40k open day and it was abysmal. I'd only paid a tenner but was far from happy.

If it's constructive feedback they need it if the event wasn't that great. If they think everyone loved it then they won't change it in future.

If it's down as the ultimate experience but really wasn't, they need feedback for next time to improve it. I'd drop them an email

Archived