Clans and flyers

Kierdale

Personally, I'm a fan of the Burna Bomma regardless of what clan you are running, though Blood Axes definitely give it a huge survivability boost.  With the Prepared Positions stratagem running rampant (at least at my LGS), the Burna Bomma seems invaluable to me:

- Turn 1 it can reach out and touch any unit you want 
- It drops a bomb that auto hits and auto deals mortal wounds on a 4+ to infantry units, up to ten models per unit
- Skorcha missiles ignore cover

In my opinion, this is probably one of the best "pay it forward, get it back" units in the codex, especially if you're running Blood Axes.  Its only 152 points fully kitted out, so if you get turn one, it can deal some serious damage against a squishy target. If you don't, it can sit in the back with -1 to hit from Hard to Hit , plus a 3+ save if you're running Blood Axes (yay foggy flight conditions :lol: ). Add a 5+ invul from a KFF in range and its gonna be easy to get your points back if you pick your targets correctly and use it properly if you ask me!

I'm a big fan of the burna bomba and blitza bomba. Dakka jets got a bit better but I prefer my bombers. 
Dumping mortal wounds on units is to me superior to shooting. If your opponent doesn't screen your bombers you'll create all kinds of mayhem. My goal with the burna bombers is to plan for them to explode over the enemy army as well, that's a lot more mortal wounds all over the place. 
Between the two the burna bomba went up 10 points and the blitza went down 10 points, unless I am wrong about that.

The wazbom looks like it's much stronger now if you have the points to spend. All that D6 damage it spits out! 

Bad Moons Dakkajets are going to be screen killing machines. I'm really looking forward to seeing if they become a staple in my lists.

I personally don't think Blitza-bommers are bad, but I don't understand why you would take a Burna-bommer instead. They cost basically the same (without skorcha missiles), and the Blitza's bombs are just as effective vs. infantry, better against vehicles or monsters (especially if they are in a squadron), and now goes up to 12 dice! It just seems superior. And I'm not big on Skorcha missiles that are a 1d6 number of shots at BS5+. Thats a waste of points, to me.

Well the bombs on the blitza-bommers are simply better, no doubt. But the burna-bommer has a distinctive advantage over that plane. The burna-bommer itself is an amazingly powerful bomb. A 6" explosion from that base that causes a flat 3MW on a 4+ means that if you fly it into your opponents deployment zone T1, you should be able to drop your other bombs as well. What opponent, assuming they have faced it before, is going to take the chance that it doesn't blow up and kill half their army? If you'd do the same with a blitza-bommer I'm guessing it gets shot down because it blows up less potent and only on the roll of a 6+.

It also has another big shoota on it, which is nice I guess. I personally wouldn't bother with the skorcha missiles. 20 points is a bit too pricey for D6 shots I think.

The problem with using the burna bommer as a flying bomb is that the opponent can just move 6" away before shooting it as soon as they know how nasty that explosion is. The only benefit I can see in that is in clearing objectives, or just keeping the enemy away from one.

Still, it's fun as hell.

Well, yes and no I'd say. Yes you can theoretically just move away, but you have to consider that 6" away from a base that size might not be easy, so if it's placed in your opponents deployment zone T1 and you not facing a super mobile army or something with a very small footprint it's going to be tough to escape from fully. There's also then benefit that if they do manage to move out it might significantly impact their shooting ability. If you face a lot of IG that are forced to move with their heavy weapons, they now hit on 5's instead. Or perhaps the Leman Russ tanks had to move longer than half their range, thus negating their grinding advance.

Point is, that big scary bomb can actually bring heaps of benefits. And it's certainly fun, just like you said

Archived