Favourite Warhammer 40,000 video game

grailkeeper

Ones I've played:

• Space Crusade, ZX Spectrum
    • TBS, based on the board game (i.e futuristic Hero's Quest). Imagine a monochrome early X-COM game. Quite cool imo.
  • Shadow of the Horned Rat, PS1
  • Dark Omen, PS1
    • RTS, Fantasy. Fun, yet tricky at times. Different than the genre leaders back then (C&C)
  • Firewarrior, PS2
    • FPS, 40k. Quite a soft spot for this and really enjoyed it at the time.
  • Dawn of War, PC
  • Dawn of War 2, PC
    • RTS, 40k. Nothing more to add than what has already been said. Enjoyable, played DoW 1 more though.
  • Talisman, mobile
    • TBS, based on the board game. I play it in fits and bursts these days: I like it because I get to play the expansions but it takes AGES to play. Type of thing to do on long journeys imo.
  • Horus Heresy Drop Assault, mobile
    • mobile RTS, 30k. Level 62, game completed albeit some achievements. Takes ages if you don't spend money on it (like all mobile games). Addictive like many other CoC clones.
  • Space Marine, PS3
    • FPS(?), 40k. Eagerly anticipated and I wasn't disappointed. Completed but still need a few servo skulls, etc. Haven't done online mode and apparently it's a ghost town now.
  • Warhammer 40,000: Carnage, mobile
    • Side-scrolling shoot'em up, 40k. Fun and addictive, but sadly unsupported.
  • Freeblade, mobile
    • Linear FPS(?), 40k. No idea what genre tbf but it's great fun and there's always stuff to do, items to collect, upgrades, etc. Takes an age to complete without spending cash on it but older phones wont run it...

Chaos Gate will always be my favorite, recently Space Wolf for mobile scratched the same itch. Waiting for it and all its expansions to be on a good enough sale on Steam to play through it all without the pay-for-everything that happens in mobile games.

Space Marine for PC still has people playing all the time, almost always a game of Seize Ground available. Definitely some issues with some exploiting movement glitches to great advantage in-game but still fun most of the time. I think Steam says I have 600+ hours and 97% achievements unlocked, so safe to say I'm a fan.

• 1 month later...

Freeblade was fun and claimed probably days; but I lost all my progress when I switched phones and didn't feel like grinding again.

I played DoW2 and liked it but never had a chance to really delve into the mechanics or multiplayer. Very nostalgic, though.

Space Wolf was fun, but eventually I just gave up on trying to game decks around.

Casually play HH: Legions on mobile, but it's starting to taper off for me.

I've been playing Space Hulk: Deathwing a lot recently and love it. Started getting some multiplayer games in and it's been a blast. Atmosphere is amazing, and I think it is what it claims to be: Terminators in Space Hulks slaying Xenos. The atmosphere, again, is amazingly engrossing, and makes up a lot of what other folks say is missing.

Recently Space Wolf for mobile scratched the same itch. Waiting for it and all its expansions to be on a good enough sale on Steam to play through it all without the pay-for-everything that happens in mobile games.

I would love to play Chaos Gate again - like the suggestion of Space Wolf above, so might take a look!

Less than half price via Humble Bundle this week :happy.:

Loads of other GW properties are on sale too, definitely worth checking out if you've been holding off for good prices on specific games.

• 2 weeks later...

Chaos Gate for the best game, Space Marine for a proper muhreen power fantasy, Dawn of War I for childhood nostalgia, Space Hulk Ascension for a very good PC-port of a great boardgame I've clocked too many hours in. An honourable shoutout for Space Hulk II Vengeance of the Blood Angels for great atmosphere when I crunched through it as a kid, definitely helped in falling in love with the grimdark. The voice acting, ah...

BACK TO THE HELL WHICH SPAWNED YOU!

Brothers, my bolter's jammed!

Avenge me, brothers!

Avenge me, brothers!

A gift... from the Emperor! (boom)

I would really like to see an updated version of that game.

Edited by Stoic Raptor

Avenge me, brothers!

A gift... from the Emperor! (boom)

I would really like to see an updated version of that game.

That would be dope.

It had great many things going for it: the switching between your squaddies, the pacing and waiting that suddenly turned to screaming and explosions, enthusiastic voiceactors and the tense little minigame of "guess which one of these micromovements signals your window to use your powerfist when the alien is chewing your face". The last one especially sticks to mind, even if I did eventually get pretty good at it.

Spave Hulk Ascension succeeded in many things, but it does feel a bit detached and clinical compared to the grainy beauty of Vengeance of the Blood Angels. Combine those two and I'll shill it (don't know if Space Hulk Tactics did that or was more of a "more of the same" release from Full Control, havenät played it yet).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Am I crazy? What was that game on gameboy that had UM vs WB, it had like an action point system, turn based. If I can find my gameboy/DS stuff I will dig it up. 

40k Squad Command for the DS?

Am I crazy? What was that game on gameboy that had UM vs WB, it had like an action point system, turn based. If I can find my gameboy/DS stuff I will dig it up. 

40k Squad Command for the DS?

Yes, that's the one. I played it on the DS, but it was also available on the PSP (playstation portable), which can be downloaded to play on the vita (I've had squad command on my wishlist for years now, just not got round to downloading as didn't finish it first time round!). 

It's an OK game. 

Having recently played through Battlefleet Gothic 1 and 2 (Imperial Campaign) I'd definitely add it to my favorites list.

The cut scenes and gameplay are great and they've nailed the 40K background. The campaign in the sequel does suffer from a bit of grinding, but it's a small negative on an otherwise enjoyable game.

-Ran

• 2 weeks later...

Was just thinking, does anybody remember Kill Team on Xbox 360/PS3 (and now available on steam) just before the release of Space Marine? 

You play as a marine in a top down isometric shooter. Classes were Tech marine, librarian, assualt, heavy or tactical. Each with their own strengths/weaknesses. 

It was a very short game, but it was very loosely tied to Space Marine, in so much as the Ork Kroozer you are tasked with destroying, was the kroozer that appeared in Space Marine at the start. 

That was actually a very fun game for what it was.

Below is a screenshot taken from the steam purchase page.