Favourite Warhammer 40,000 video game

grailkeeper

Loved the first Dawn of War and the Necron expansion with the big campaign map.  Space Marine was fun for awhile on the 360 but the last half of the game didn't feel like they spent as much effort, it felt rushed there.  I hope Adeptus Titanicus is good because I'm enjoying the board game version. 

Space Crusade on the speccy is what got me into 40k in the first place. So it will always have a special place for me. 

Moving onwards, Chaos Gate was a favourite of mine for a long time, then Dawn of War (and it's expansions) got a lot of play! Played DoW 2 while I was off work sick for a month a few years ago and enjoyed that, so really need to go back to it! And of course Space Marine was excellent. 

Played various other ones, but wasn't quite so taken by them to mention here. 

Ahh, look at those crisp hi definition 3D graphics! :happy.:

Edited by Domhnall

Now I wanna download Space Crusade again and relive my childhood.

Had Dark Omen on the Playstation, loved that game sooooo much, and did play Mordheim a fair bit as well even though every game ended up as a mosh pit in the middle of the map. But thats Fantasy so Ill stop talking about it now.

Is there any news on the Dark Future game and Necromunda? Everythings gone quiet on that front unless I just missed any news.

Final Liberation and Dark Omen for me. Everything that has come since then has been good too, but those two will always hold a special place for me. Vortex missile spam in Final Liberation was great and the cutscenes had me wishing they would make a film like that.

Final Liberation and Dark Omen for me. Everything that has come since then has been good too, but those two will always hold a special place for me. Vortex missile spam in Final Liberation was great and the cutscenes had me wishing they would make a film like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bFMdj_gfrQ

Ah, sweet nostalgia, it forgives much...

-Ran

I used to hold DoW: Dark Crusade as the high point with an extra mention to Space Marine for being able to faithfully recreate my DIY chapter colours (though multiplayer would have been far better with dedicated servers). Extra points for Battlefleet Gothic for it's fantastic atmosphere I finished the campaign on a complete knife edge between victory and failure so I was amazed how close the result was.

I am still in the honeymoon period with Mechanicus but it's rapidly becoming my favourite GW game for it's fantastically eerie music and the sheer amount of freedom the game gives you to customize your tech priests.

Final Liberation used to be my highlight out of the three of Chaos Gate, Final Lib and Space Hulk; Vengeance of the Blood Angels. Since then there's been so many 40k/WFB games released I can't justifiably say I have a favourite. (Freeblade/Space Wolf excepted, they're kind of naff)

Right now my favorite games involving warhammer 40k is definitely Battlefleet gothic armada and mechanicus. The mechanicus game turns out to be super fun, and though it can be a bit easy at times I had a few missions where I was on the edge of losing. It's a lot of fun, and features the cog-boys as the main faction of the game, no space marines in sight!

I'm getting close to the end of Mechanicus and I've only lost one tech priest in combat. I'm not sure whether I should run some more missions to get more tech or go knocking on the Necron's door, which I assume will finish the game. Trying to avoid spoilers but clearing out the Ubjao sector was a pretty intense fight, it changed the way I had to play the game.

Edited by Flame Boy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dawn of War the first and the second were amazing! Especially the first one! The second was great, because it brought us the Imperial Guard and parts of the Necron. Both were done extremely well and EVERYTHING felt right (except the part where guardsmen weren't more realistic, but I can let that slide for now).

Dow of war 3 was freaking horrible and everything else afterwards as Sisters of Battles were horribly OP and unbalanced. The dark eldar and Tau were done pretty well.

I never played the second DOW series, because it seemed too minaturised compared to the first one.

I remember the good old days of DOW 1 online. It was nuts and I was second in command of the {FEAR} clan. Spamming terminators within 6 minutes, delifer spam with missile marines, ork nobz spam and dark reapers with bright lance platform spam and fire prism spam with dark reapers! Those were the stuff of nightmares!

• 2 weeks later...

If you've yet to play Mechanicus, I highly recommend it. The atmosphere is absolutely spot on and I love the way the various NPC Tech-Priests interact with each other between missions. In terms of getting the tone of the 41st Millennium right, it's up there for me as possibly the best 40k game so far.

It's also a nice XCOM-style tactics game in it's own right, although a touch on the easy side.

It's also a nice XCOM-style tactics game in it's own right, although a touch on the easy side.

I hear they are toning down the damage of a lot of weapons and making it harder to spam cogitation points so it could get quite a bit harder.

It is a marvelous game considering that they didn't seem to have that big a budget. What they have done with the game is great. It's also got a few moment of humour in it. When your Ark Mechanicus enters into warp transit the ship's condition is displayed onscreen and it briefly flashes up "oil leak on aisle 00110101". There also a mission which involves finding a scaled replica of the tomb complex to glean information from it. The tech priest cohort locate a room filled with miniature Necron constructs, runed polyhedrons and measuring devices. The Cohort leave the room puzzled about the meaning of their discovery.

I think I'm going to run another playthrough of Mecanicus in a while. I'm expecting the patched version to be quite a bit trickier.

So far I've been enjoying the Beta II of BFGA2.... don't know why people were complaining about the Space Marine fleet, used right they are brutal... Just have to use Thunderhawk bording teams first, then get in close to clobber them with normal bording actions and the racial one too.

• 5 weeks later...

As for "strategy" game i would say Chaos Gate. Great soundtrack and campaign mechanism actually forcing you to care about losses and your little blue fellas, not like in most RTS. I don't remember the story at all, but i miss the game.   On second place DoW II Chaos Rising. I loved the campaign and different possible endings, even though going evil was waaaaay easier than staying good.

As for shooter Space Hulk: Deathwing. Nothing compares. The climate, the graphics, maybe the story was a bit disappointing, i hoped for a final confrontation with a Fallen, which seemed teased all the way through, but still.

Edited by Ayatollah_of_Rock_n_Rolla

I've only played DoW, including Winter Assault and Dark Crusade, and Fire Warrior. Loved DoW, and I'm probably in the minority of people in this world that likes Fire Warrior a lot.

Edit:I've also played Free blade but got bored of it quite quickly.

Edited by Captain Smashy Pants

• 2 weeks later...

Never made it through the campaign, but Final Liberation. It does large scale massive combined arms warfare quite well for its time.

Dawn of War (the first) was ok for an RTS. Too much DLC though - which is also the main reason I didn't pick up later titles in the series yet.

I'm not sure about space marine.

On one hand, they really nailed the gravity of combat and walking around in a giant armoured suit. Also the outdoor environments are nicely grim dark.

On the other hand, fighting near endless hordes of the same variants of enemies in mostly linear environments and small arenas does tend to get boring rather fast. And that the two battle brothers you get as support can't hit enemies until they're almost in CC range doesn't help the immersion.