How is 3rd edition doing? What? 8th?!

Man of Iron

"In 2003, a Warhammer 40K player is caught in a freak accident in the Eye of Reality, causing his codices and models to be blown into an orbit that returns him to the game table - over 5 editions later…"

So, anything new while I've been gone? 
When I left the hobby fifteen years ago, I couldn't have guessed it would ever be like it is now. Wow! I started at the beginning of 3rd edition with the Black Templar and Dark Eldar boxed set, collected some of the earlier edition books and models for the game's background and coolness factors. I dove into Space Marines - blue, red, green, and wolfy varieties. Dabbled with Orks because... Waaagh! My last army was Necrons, first using rules from the old White Dwarf magazines. I had a massive metal army of them (which only had like four or five different models at the time - I left during the coming of the 'plastic' warriors and their monoliths). 

Now I see many great looking advances, such as Adeptus Mechanicus, Deathwatch, Imperial Knights, Inquisitors, and so on. 
Where's an old new player to begin? 

Thanks for listening to an old grog ramble. 

Canadian_F_H, are the rules for Kill Team sort of 40K-light? Just for smaller encounters, or is it its own game entirely?

[edit] Never mind, I see from some posts in the Kill Team forum that it isn't the same. I may still get it since, as you've stated, it has a smaller model count. 

I'm thinking on getting either the Kill Team or Warhammer Quest: Blackstone box sets to start with. Maybe I'll dive straight in with the shiny black 40K rulebook, but I'm not sure of which codex yet. And then models, and paint, and more models, and more paint... :devil:

I agree, it can get very addictive.

Ever since seeing the lovely splash page from the 3rd edition space marine codex showing an entire space marine chapter... :jawdrop:

med_gallery_127575_15007_689844.jpg

Kill Team does seem a very nice approach to the models themselves.

I can collect what appeals to me without worrying about devoting myself to a whole army right now, and I can still get some games in at my FLGS. :wink.:

Welcome back to the hobby!

I started around the same time as you, and can say it's an exciting time to be back in the hobby.

Golden rule is the same as ever: paint what you have before buying more. Or don't.

:sweat:

The big rulebook is a great place to get started with the new fluff, and there is a lot of it. 

The Dark Imperium also gives a great starter kit for primaris marines, and you can supplement with one of the newer great value sets like tooth and claw (wolves v genestealer cults), or Wake the dead (ultras v eldar).

Oh, yes, Genestealer cults are back. That's probably the biggest thing to happen in the last decade. Harlequins too.

Harlies and GSC being back is definitly huge... But ADMECH! oh and GW is launching a new line for SOB next year finally!

In terms of ways to play, and the scope of battle possible. From kill team up to fielding knight Titans and even a warlord if you are really crazy... To the breath and depth of armies available. Almost everything from 3rd you remember has been expanded greatly, and the return of addition of Genestealer cults, adeptus mechanicus, knight Titans, Harlequins... Sisters and possible renegades and heretics soon too (presumed by their inclusion in BSF) and when you see that they have really ramped up the chaos legions (thousand sons and deathguard are very well fleshed out) I remember when you had to convert "cult terminators" and their rules were in chapter approved!

It's potentially a glorious era for the hobby.

Welcome to the B&C and back to the hobby :thumbsup: You'll be busy catching up :wink: KT is a good way to get started, as well as learn some of the 8th rules so I can recommend it :smile.:

Thanks, it feels good to be back. I've been checking out the GW site for KT (core book is sold out right now in US) and the models - so many models. :eek: 

Welcome back to the hobby!

I started around the same time as you, and can say it's an exciting time to be back in the hobby.

Golden rule is the same as ever: paint what you have before buying more. Or don't.

:sweat:

The big rulebook is a great place to get started with the new fluff, and there is a lot of it. 

The Dark Imperium also gives a great starter kit for primaris marines, and you can supplement with one of the newer great value sets like tooth and claw (wolves v genestealer cults), or Wake the dead (ultras v eldar).

Oh, yes, Genestealer cults are back. That's probably the biggest thing to happen in the last decade. Harlequins too.

Thanks, it certainly looks like a new age has dawned. I love all of the Start Collecting! boxes too. 

Wow, what hasn't come back? Next you'll be telling me the primarchs have returned. :biggrin.:

Same for me, a returning guard player from 3rd.

What? No templates of doom?

I did have a small Catachan army and a few tanks. Ooh, I do remember the Apocalypse templates! :wub: 

Harlies and GSC being back is definitly huge... But ADMECH! oh and GW is launching a new line for SOB next year finally!

In terms of ways to play, and the scope of battle possible. From kill team up to fielding knight Titans and even a warlord if you are really crazy... To the breath and depth of armies available. Almost everything from 3rd you remember has been expanded greatly, and the return of addition of Genestealer cults, adeptus mechanicus, knight Titans, Harlequins... Sisters and possible renegades and heretics soon too (presumed by their inclusion in BSF) and when you see that they have really ramped up the chaos legions (thousand sons and deathguard are very well fleshed out) I remember when you had to convert "cult terminators" and their rules were in chapter approved!

It's potentially a glorious era for the hobby.

Again, wow! So many (too many?) choices - and Sisters on their way too?!! :drool: 

It's a 40,000 free-for-all! Who hasn't shown up to fight each other?

I would love to get into SM again, and Necrons, but many of the other armies are very tempting (especially AdMech). 

I'll be ordering the 40K rulebook soon. I'm sailing through the individual forums, and I'm loving everything I'm seeing. 

My first choice won't be easy. I appreciate all of your comments and suggestions. :thumbsup:

Welcome back to the hobby and forum :)

... and thanks for linking that 3rd edition Codex picture as I do enjoy seeing it :) Interestingly, we can now buy a resin Thunderhawk (on it's third revamp since that metal one shown) and even a landing pad for it :)

Well you've come to the right place.

In my humble opinion it's the best 40k forum there is.

No argument here. It's astounding! :yes:

I agree that kill team is good

From what I've been reading, YES! 

Welcome back to the hobby and forum :smile.:

... and thanks for linking that 3rd edition Codex picture as I do enjoy seeing it :smile.: Interestingly, we can now buy a resin Thunderhawk (on it's third revamp since that metal one shown) and even a landing pad for it :smile.:

Thanks, … and you're welcome. I would love to hang a poster of that picture over my workbench. More than that, I would love to have a wall with shelves holding an army of equal stature. 

A Thunderhawk AND a landing pad? Oh my ... :ohmy.: (where's the fainting emoji?) 

I've a feeling I may be selling my car soon to reinvest in a new game room. :biggrin.:

GWs Skyshield Landing Pad (which *should* fit a Thunderhawk):

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Skyshield-Landing-Pad

Thunderhawk Gunship:

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/Space-marines-thunderhawk-gunship-2017

Realm of Battle Landing Pad (2'x2' square that fits with other Realm of Battle gaming boards):

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/Imperialis-Landing-Pad

Here's how they look together:

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/Thunderhawk-Gunship-with-Landing-Pad-2017

... And here's a crashed Thunderhawk for you to game around:

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/Realm-of-Battle-Crashed-Thunderhawk

GWs Skyshield Landing Pad (which *should* fit a Thunderhawk):

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Skyshield-Landing-Pad

Thunderhawk Gunship:

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/Space-marines-thunderhawk-gunship-2017

Realm of Battle Landing Pad (2'x2' square that fits with other Realm of Battle gaming boards):

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/Imperialis-Landing-Pad

Here's how they look together:

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/Thunderhawk-Gunship-with-Landing-Pad-2017

... And here's a crashed Thunderhawk for you to game around:

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/Realm-of-Battle-Crashed-Thunderhawk

Jolemai, you're killing me. I think my credit card just melted in my wallet. :jawdrop: 

At least this is one thing I'm already familiar with in this hobby. Some things never change. :tongue.:

My advice for coming back is to plan, plan, plan, plan.

From someone who put a toe in the shallow end, liked the temperature of the water, and then ran out and bought a nuclear submarine and an atmospheric diving suit, it is quite easy to get carried away. If you're in it for the hobbying element, then knock your wallet out.

But if you're in it for the gaming element, I can't recommend enough researching, observing, and playtesting before committing to anything. There's so many builds and tricks and stuff that you'll constantly be fighting yesterday's battle ("i need all lascannons because Knights are tough!) and constantly trying to buy your way to victory ("screw lascannons, hordes are tough! I need all flamers"). Rather come up with a coherent theme, set of units you like, and playstyle you can work with and then modularize from there.

Just my $0.02 from someone who had 7 armies at one point during the first 2 years I was in that.

Now I'm back down to 1.5

My advice for coming back is to plan, plan, plan, plan.

From someone who put a toe in the shallow end, liked the temperature of the water, and then ran out and bought a nuclear submarine and an atmospheric diving suit, it is quite easy to get carried away. If you're in it for the hobbying element, then knock your wallet out.

But if you're in it for the gaming element, I can't recommend enough researching, observing, and playtesting before committing to anything. There's so many builds and tricks and stuff that you'll constantly be fighting yesterday's battle ("i need all lascannons because Knights are tough!) and constantly trying to buy your way to victory ("screw lascannons, hordes are tough! I need all flamers"). Rather come up with a coherent theme, set of units you like, and playstyle you can work with and then modularize from there.

Just my $0.02 from someone who had 7 armies at one point during the first 2 years I was in that.

Now I'm back down to 1.5

Thanks, Indefragable. I may put a sign above my work desk saying "plan, plan, plan, plan" now. :wink:

I understand the "kid alone in the candy store" attraction. Fun for a while, but then it leads to a belly ache. 

I'm about 50/50 with the hobby/gaming elements right now. For me, when I used to play, it seemed easy to grab an army (now Faction) and roll with it. Now everything is so new to me and there are so many new models and factions (twenty-nine of them?), not to mention all of the new rules, it makes me pause and take a deep breath. I don't want to get into a pattern of needing to 'purchase' my way to victories. I played for the fun of playing and I hope to do that again. If I can't have fun playing with a basic army, then why play? As a beginning player again, I don't expect to make any crushing victories either. I'll have to work my way towards that. 

I figure to make a list of the armies and start culling through them - trying to get down to a 'Top Five' and work from there. KT, as mentioned above, seems like a fun choice to dip my toes in. It will get me some models and the practice of building and painting again. As an avid role-playing dungeoneer, I haven't done as much with models as I did when playing 40K years ago. Eventually, I'm thinking it would be nice to have something from each of the big categories: Imperial, Xenos, and Chaos.

Right now, I'm trying to take it all in.

Aaaay, welcome back to the fold, Man o' Iron. Heh, yeah a lot of stuff has changed since those halcyon days of 3E.  Brother Indefragable has the right of it, lots of planning and lots of testing is gonna go pretty far these days.  But hey, Rhino rush is kinda back, kind of a scary feeling as it's been gone for a good long while.  

Dude, trust me, if you get that 'build an army' itch and wanna test the waters, that's what Kill Team is really for.  It also helps nail down what you do an don't want to paint a hundred of.  Good way to test out those second and third category armies, too and hey, it's a pretty good taste of how they feel in the big game too.  

Yeah, you'll see a lot of stuff around, the scale's gone up since 3E, Forge World has been pretty effectively normalized (it's still fun, not always 'good', still about as expensive as you'd expect) and sometimes you'll see us 30K players still sifting around like lumbering relics, bringing our Hobart's Funny Dreads to the playground.  It's all well and cool... just don't get sucked into that Thunderhawk or Titan.  As a guy who owns one of each, trust me, I know -smirks-.

So, welcome back.  Hope ya enjoy yourself and the new edition (and new game in general, eh?).  And thanks for that 3E blast from the past, man... I keep looking at that picture thinking 'I'm getting there'. Baaad bad influence that is. 

There are a fair number of good things hobby wise, and I can attest to this as my own return to the hobby was only so long ago. Pewter is essentially all but gone.

They do occasionally short runs of it, and some 3rd party folks still use pewter, and of course the second hand market still has plenty especially since they are more likely to survive the ravages of time and paint strippers...

You've also entirely missed the "failcast" era. All new character sculpts have been amazing plastic kits. I've picked up a few older models that were GW resin. While they haven't been unusable, the sprues are dumb, they need to be scrubbed with dish soap to be the release agent off, and they do get bubbles in various places and I've merely been lucky that the bubbles haven't ruined any importsnt details like a face!

Aaaay, welcome back to the fold, Man o' Iron. Heh, yeah a lot of stuff has changed since those halcyon days of 3E.  Brother Indefragable has the right of it, lots of planning and lots of testing is gonna go pretty far these days.  But hey, Rhino rush is kinda back, kind of a scary feeling as it's been gone for a good long while.  

Dude, trust me, if you get that 'build an army' itch and wanna test the waters, that's what Kill Team is really for.  It also helps nail down what you do an don't want to paint a hundred of.  Good way to test out those second and third category armies, too and hey, it's a pretty good taste of how they feel in the big game too.  

Yeah, you'll see a lot of stuff around, the scale's gone up since 3E, Forge World has been pretty effectively normalized (it's still fun, not always 'good', still about as expensive as you'd expect) and sometimes you'll see us 30K players still sifting around like lumbering relics, bringing our Hobart's Funny Dreads to the playground.  It's all well and cool... just don't get sucked into that Thunderhawk or Titan.  As a guy who owns one of each, trust me, I know -smirks-.

So, welcome back.  Hope ya enjoy yourself and the new edition (and new game in general, eh?).  And thanks for that 3E blast from the past, man... I keep looking at that picture thinking 'I'm getting there'. Baaad bad influence that is. 

Thanks, Vykes. Yes, lots of crazy cool things to see since I've been 'reawakened'. Where'd my little sleek rhinos go? They've taken steroids! :biggrin.:

I feel a slight itch, and it's been difficult to get my choice of army list down to a 'Top Ten'. There are the old favorites but the newer (for me) ones are demanding my attention. 

And 30K?!? I've read some posts about it - sorry I missed that when it started. I browsed through the FW site and some of the Horus Heresy stuff. Amazing, but I need to deal with one rule set at a time. Talk about culture shock. And yes, that SM pic calls to me often too.

There are a fair number of good things hobby wise, and I can attest to this as my own return to the hobby was only so long ago. Pewter is essentially all but gone.

They do occasionally short runs of it, and some 3rd party folks still use pewter, and of course the second hand market still has plenty especially since they are more likely to survive the ravages of time and paint strippers...

You've also entirely missed the "failcast" era. All new character sculpts have been amazing plastic kits. I've picked up a few older models that were GW resin. While they haven't been unusable, the sprues are dumb, they need to be scrubbed with dish soap to be the release agent off, and they do get bubbles in various places and I've merely been lucky that the bubbles haven't ruined any importsnt details like a face!

Ah, I have such fond memories of pewter. Trimming and snipping them in my (literally) bloody attempts to customize them. Fun, fun, fun!

I also remember the weight of them, especially with my first large army of necrons. It seems I've missed some bad with the good model-wise. Now I see grey sprues aren't just in gray anymore. I've seen red, blue and green now! I guess it's not bad for helping to tell armies apart before painting them.

One thing which has been very refreshing has been much of the new artwork. Most examples I've seen is rather characterful - not that I minded the older edition's artistic charm. 

My research into this new millennium shall continue. :wink: 

The weight or lack there of us something I've noticed as well. And largely solved, along with the issue of "wobbly model syndrom"

I just glue in carbon steel washers that fit in the bases such that they are as big as possible and still fit inside the base. Paying attention to the thickness of the washer, if the washer is to thick it will lift the base from the ground.

This easily adds a nice weight to the model and it significantly lowers the center of gravity of the model making them far less likely to fall over on slopes.

Note I specified carbon steel washers... This is just for me because I use a neodymium magnet, glued to the head of a nail stuck into a small block of wood, to hold the model while I paint it.

Archived