How is 3rd edition doing? What? 8th?!

Man of Iron

Welcome! It's funny you join now with your name when a Man of Iron is a thing in Blackstone Fortress ;)

Note I specified carbon steel washers... This is just for me because I use a neodymium magnet, glued to the head of a nail stuck into a small block of wood, to hold the model while I paint it.

Those are also good for making transport cases. Magnetic tape + washer on base = model isn't bouncing around in-transit

Welcome! It's funny you join now with your name when a Man of Iron is a thing in Blackstone Fortress ;)

Note I specified carbon steel washers... This is just for me because I use a neodymium magnet, glued to the head of a nail stuck into a small block of wood, to hold the model while I paint it.

Those are also good for making transport cases. Magnetic tape + washer on base = model isn't bouncing around in-transit

That had slipped my mind, but you are right! I would only rely on that for infantry tho. Anything bigger I wouldn't, partly because I'm magnetizing them to breakdown and swap options too.

Oh yeah that's another thing. Consider magnetizing. Especially big expensive stuff...

There are 2 leman Russ kits and each one let's you build 3(?) unique variations plus all the hull and sponsons weapons etc... It's WAY cheaper to buy 2 kits and magnetize them to have the option to field any of 6(?) varieties than to buy 6 whole kits and be left with a MOUNTAIN of redundant bits...

The weight or lack there of us something I've noticed as well. And largely solved, along with the issue of "wobbly model syndrom"

I just glue in carbon steel washers that fit in the bases such that they are as big as possible and still fit inside the base. Paying attention to the thickness of the washer, if the washer is to thick it will lift the base from the ground.

This easily adds a nice weight to the model and it significantly lowers the center of gravity of the model making them far less likely to fall over on slopes.

I hadn't considered weighting the models - I've got metal on the brain. :teehee:

I like the magnet idea. I'll need to check out a carrying case and this may be an easier alternate than pulling models in and out of foam.

Welcome! It's funny you join now with your name when a Man of Iron is a thing in Blackstone Fortress :wink:

Magnetic tape too? Sounds good. Man, I think I need to find my MacGyver hat. :biggrin.:

Yes, Man of Iron was the result of not finding a 'dreadnought' variation I liked. I was thinking something necronish which led to the Model 101 terminator avatar I'm using. 'Man of Steel' sounded too Superman-like. Then, I remembered my 40K 'Bible'...

med_gallery_127575_15014_210215.jpg

… and a page from Keeper Cripias' Journal …

med_gallery_127575_15014_498461.jpg … where Cripias mentions the Gold Men, the Stone Men, and the Iron Men …

… and thus 'Man of Iron' seemed the best choice since I'm coming from an ancient era of the hobby into the present day. :biggrin.:

Welcome! It's funny you join now with your name when a Man of Iron is a thing in Blackstone Fortress :wink:

That had slipped my mind, but you are right! I would only rely on that for infantry tho. Anything bigger I wouldn't, partly because I'm magnetizing them to breakdown and swap options too.

Oh yeah that's another thing. Consider magnetizing. Especially big expensive stuff...

There are 2 leman Russ kits and each one let's you build 3(?) unique variations plus all the hull and sponsons weapons etc... It's WAY cheaper to buy 2 kits and magnetize them to have the option to field any of 6(?) varieties than to buy 6 whole kits and be left with a MOUNTAIN of redundant bits...

All this metal and magnetizing makes me seriously consider a techy army now. :wub:

I appreciate all of the tips and ideas you're mentioning. Thanks!

No problem. This is just the intro. And I appreciate the feeling of being out of the Hobby for over a decade... (my intro turned WIP PLOG is titled something to the effect of "lost in the warp for 11 years" for a reason!

There are 7 non FW leman russes: 4 in one kit, 3 in the other

Kill Team does seem a very nice approach to the models themselves.

I can collect what appeals to me without worrying about devoting myself to a whole army right now, and I can still get some games in at my FLGS:wink.:

If you want to go the kill team route, take a look at Heralds of Ruin: Kill Team. It is a fan created ruleset for your 40K models with more options and it is free. The downside is that the player base is a lot smaller.

My advice for coming back is to plan, plan, plan, plan.

My advice in addition to the planning is magnets, magnets, magnets.

Most kits have multiple weapon options. With magnets you get a lot more out of your kits and you make your units proof for future editions. In 5th-7th  edition heavy bolters just weren't good. 8th is a different story. So if you can switch your heavy/special weapons you get a lot more for your money.

Magnetizing takes a bit of extra time but it is well worth it.

Last but not least, welcome to the forum.

I agree on magnets. But I find it's a pain with infantry and not worth it to every player. But with tanks and big kits especially knights. It's absolutely worth it. I couldn't fathom building a 140USD knight and not magnetize it for all the glorious options it comes with.

Kill Team does seem a very nice approach to the models themselves.

I can collect what appeals to me without worrying about devoting myself to a whole army right now, and I can still get some games in at my FLGS:wink.:

If you want to go the kill team route, take a look at Heralds of Ruin: Kill Team. It is a fan created ruleset for your 40K models with more options and it is free. The downside is that the player base is a lot smaller.

My advice for coming back is to plan, plan, plan, plan.

My advice in addition to the planning is magnets, magnets, magnets.

Most kits have multiple weapon options. With magnets you get a lot more out of your kits and you make your units proof for future editions. In 5th-7th  edition heavy bolters just weren't good. 8th is a different story. So if you can switch your heavy/special weapons you get a lot more for your money.

Magnetizing takes a bit of extra time but it is well worth it.

Last but not least, welcome to the forum.

Thanks, I'll check out the Heralds of Ruin link. This has turned into more reading than I planned, even before getting a rule book and codex.

The magnetizing sound like it could be involved but if it can allow more possibilities for arming the models, why not? 

, but as yo say

I agree on magnets. But I find it's a pain with infantry and not worth it to every player. But with tanks and big kits especially knights. It's absolutely worth it. I couldn't fathom building a 140USD knight and not magnetize it for all the glorious options it comes with.

Yes, swapping infantry arms would seem like a pain, not to mention a headache keeping track of left and right arms. :wallbash:

Bigger kits make more sense, especially the knights. I would love to do a diorama (or even a carrying case) of a knight with its weapons displayed around it, ready to be 'armed' for battle. 

Any particular size magnets that you would suggest? Or is it more of a wait and see the models to judge best type of thing?

I was hanging out in the Necrontyr section and someone mentioned the Forgebane box set. That is tempting me because it has Necrons, which I used to play, and the Adeptus Mechanicus, which is on my top five list. It also has two warglaive knights that aren't in the AdMech book but can be allied with them. Then that would mean delving into the Impoerial Knights. 

:eek:  Yikes! How did I suddenly get into possibly starting three armies?! :laugh.: 

The other two(?) in my 'Top Five' are Space Marines (or Deathwatch) and Chaos Space Marines (or Daemons). Having SM and CSM may be redundant, so the jury is still out. Orks still look like crazy and wild fun. Even Tyranids look yummy. 

I didn't make it out to my FLGS yet, so I may do an online order for the digital rule book (and maybe a codex or two). It's hard to decide for sure without looking at the actual information on the models. I like the machine aesthetic, which is why Necrons were always appealing and now the AdMech are calling to me. 

GWs Skyshield Landing Pad (which *should* fit a Thunderhawk):

https://www.games-wo...eld-Landing-Pad

Thunderhawk Gunship:

https://www.forgewor...wk-gunship-2017

Realm of Battle Landing Pad (2'x2' square that fits with other Realm of Battle gaming boards):

https://www.forgewor...lis-Landing-Pad

Here's how they look together:

https://www.forgewor...anding-Pad-2017

... And here's a crashed Thunderhawk for you to game around:

https://www.forgewor...hed-Thunderhawk

I am disappointed you did not mention that the Stormbird is now a reality, something that a few of us "venerables" never thought we'd live long enough to see.

Link: https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-CA/Space-Marine-Sokar-pattern-Stormbird

Another mere pipe dream that became a reality are Custodes.

Now all I am holding out for is GW's tease of a plastic Thunderhawk some time in my lifetime after Sisters come out.

Truly it is the Golden age brother, welcome back!

Thanks, Honda. 

Yes, there are more armies that one can shake a thunder hammer at. 

I would make a joke asking when the Codex: Emperor of Mankind is arriving, but I see there are already Primarch models. 

I'm trying to take it slow and plan (and magnets!) but I feel like I'm slipping on the edge of the rabbit hole. I know one of the worst things for me is too get too overwhelmed and start second guessing my choices. Even if I could start an army for each faction, that's a big time commitment I'm not ready to do.

Naturally, I want to work on an army to play with. It probably won't look very pretty, but it'll get me some table time in.

Some of the gorgeous models of the different factions I can't even consider until my building and painting are better. 

I'll be taking a few deep breaths before I rush into anything.

I appreciate the advice everyone's giving. Thanks.

The magnetizing sound like it could be involved but if it can allow more possibilities for arming the models, why not?

Not really, it takes like 5 minutes for a marine. Once you have a drill and magnets, it is just drill a hole, glue magnet in.  

Yes, swapping infantry arms would seem like a pain, not to mention a headache keeping track of left and right arms. :wallbash:

You wouldn't magnetize every model just those that have options. Going with the tactical squad as an example you probably know, you would magnetize two marines and the sergeant at most.

If you get the polarity right, you can attach the extra arm sets to each other:

left arm NS][NS torso NS][NS right arm

=>

left arm NS][NS right arm

Any particular size magnets that you would suggest? Or is it more of a wait and see the models to judge best type of thing?

Newer infantry kits have hands modelled onto the weapons so that you can magnetize at the wrist, that way you only need one arm to change (for the special weapoins at least). 2mm * 1mm is the right size

For magnets in the shoulders/arms 3mm * 1mm

For larger stuff probably something like 5mm * 2mm

Once you have decided which model you want to magnetize just google it or ask here, It is very likely that someone has already done it and can tell you which magnet size to use.

Funny you mention the big E.

There is a rule in the Forgeworld custodes list saying that a certain character has to be your warlord unless the emperor is in your army... Lol

Of course there would be. Why would it be otherwise? :laugh.:

Newer infantry kits have hands modelled onto the weapons so that you can magnetize at the wrist, that way you only need one arm to change (for the special weapoins at least). 2mm * 1mm is the right size

For magnets in the shoulders/arms 3mm * 1mm

For larger stuff probably something like 5mm * 2mm

Once you have decided which model you want to magnetize just google it or ask here, It is very likely that someone has already done it and can tell you which magnet size to use.

Thanks, Quixus for helping me mentally visualize it better. It doesn't seem as daunting now. I just have to watch my magnetic poles, otherwise my models would be 'repelling'. :woot:  

Oh yes there are many tutorials around here. And usually they specify which magnets they used and where.

Geez, the homework doesn't let up around here, does it? 

It's a good thing I've been taking notes. Is there going to be a surprise quiz later? I do bad at those. :tongue.:

Oh hey... Since I'm here working on a project when I should have bee asleep already (oh no! Haha) nobody else is gonna tell you this...

But 25mm round bases have a weird dimple in the middle now... I know it's their injection port instead of the old cross shaped bit of spru. But i still think it could have been better.

Yes. There are several annual examinations... ETL, IFE, FoB, etc... etc... All voluntary, and the only rewards are the greatest rewards... Glory! and progress!

And I thought my SAT, AP, and ACT were fun. I can't wait to see what these new ones are. :wink:

Welcome back to the forum and the hobby - I'm glad to see I'm not the only lost 3rd editioner returning to the fray... I hope you're not feeling as over whelmed as me!

Thanks, Portman. Feeling good along with a touch of overwhelmed. :yes:

Oh hey... Since I'm here working on a project when I should have bee asleep already (oh no! Haha) nobody else is gonna tell you this...

But 25mm round bases have a weird dimple in the middle now... I know it's their injection port instead of the old cross shaped bit of spru. But i still think it could have been better.

"Emperor's Dimples!" :biggrin.: 

Where would models be without they're little quirks? At least all the pieces line up with no gaps or problems, right? Right?! :wacko.:

Actually the newer kits are largely all fantastic. At times down right ingenious!

I've actually had a few bits and pieces with no mold lines to scrape because they cleverly closed the mold on what would end up being a sharp edge anyways!

Actually the newer kits are largely all fantastic. At times down right ingenious!

I've actually had a few bits and pieces with no mold lines to scrape because they cleverly closed the mold on what would end up being a sharp edge anyways!

That's nice to know. You're supposed to scrape mold lines? I thought they were added texture for detail. :teehee:

You all still here? Get out into the B&C proper, spread those metaphorical* wings :laugh.::wink:

* metaphorical because real ones get you shot for mutations or impersonation of a Primarch

Yes, I'm being a slacker. I'm getting caught up in family and holiday stuff here in the United States. 

I started posting in the Necrontyr forum, but I need to poke into the AdMech forum next. I'm itching to get some models to build. 

I promise, I'll be getting into the Work in Progress section as soon as I can. Rules and a codex are next for me.

Hahaha. WF! You're right!

See you around the forum proper MoI!

Thanks again, to everyone for your encouragement and advice. .

It's time for me to take the training-treads off and get rolling. :thumbsup:

* metaphorical because real ones get you shot for mutations or impersonation of a Primarch

Shh, mutation has been acceptable in some parts of the forum for some time. Primarch impersonation will be met with blamming though, unless it is Alpharius, who does not have wings.

Archived