Lord Gunthars WIP: Traitor Guard and Death Guard

lord gunthar

I had a play around with some different greys and creams to work out the basic camo scheme for my tanks. Ushabti/Administratum was the one I liked the most.

tqdRymZ.jpg

So far I've just blocked out the camo on my basilisks. I'm going to add some transfers, representing the companies they belonged to before they were taken by the militia. The steps after that will be to painting some freehand chaos symbols and beginning weathering.

M0ocLLf.jpg

Lastly I've built 5 of my 7 leman russes. Pictured below are my 3 fully magnetized conqueror/punisher/executioners, I need to acquire some more parts for the demolisher cannons as I cut mine apart to make the custom conqueror cannons (From Beyond the Tabletop) fit the regular russ chassis as they are designed for the alpha-Mars variant. I'm quite happy with how the turrets look and the extra details I've added to these tanks.

I still need to build the the other 2 regular russes and magnetize the sponsons for all 4, then that will be all of the kits I currently own fully built.

w9ZsDj5.jpg

I've also worked out how to post images on my phone, should make it much easier to post as I can do it while commuting.

Made decent progress on the first basilisk. With another evening I should get the tracks, metallics and highlights complete and then I can varnish it and start adding some oil washes and weathering powder. I'll paint the gunner and lenses once its sealed. Hoping I can finish it in the weekend and then make a start on the ogryn berzerkers.

li9uU6c_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

U18o7um_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

miP8jF0_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

REDvQNa_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Having another look at it in daylight, I'm not super happy with the ushabti bone/administratum grey camo colour. They just look a tad too light, and highlights will be difficult to see. I'm hoping that the oil washes and pigment powders will improve it.

Regardless, I think I'll paint one hellhound with karak stone/dawnstone camo as a comparison. Better to change the scheme after 1 tank than 10 I guess.

Thanks for the kind words Haradni and Kolgrim.

I've been working on laying down some of the base colours on the 3 hellhounds and the ogryn berzerkers. I'm away from home for the next week, but have a long weekend on the following so I'm hoping to show you some significant progress then.

cLw8MmT_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

I've decided to strip the 2 basilisks that I painted with the administratum/ushabti camo to redo with dawn stone/karak which I have started on the hellhounds with. I think it looks better. I'm unsure what to do with the basilisk which is halfway painted as I quite like what I've done with the freehand and chipping. I may end up trying to darken it down with oil washes and hope it blends in with the other tanks.

554cy1Y_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

I got these converted banewolf and devil dog turrets. I dont think I'll use them in games as they seem worse than the hellhound, but they look great and will be nice to magnetize and swap in if there are points/rules updates for the different variants in this or subsequent editions.

Gw3zatO_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

I picked up these renegade priests of nurgle. I'm particularly a fan of the left one. I haven't painted a nurgle model since the last bloat drone a year ago, so I'm looking forward to paint them. I'll be using them as ministorium priests.

WDLwu67_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Eying up this new character from necromunda as a commander. It should slot right in with the aesthetic of the army.

Next post will be in a week and a half. Hoping to have some significant paint progress on some tanks/ogryns.

Edited by lord gunthar

I got myself these 2 heretics from the blackstone fortress traitor command expansion. I've got a gaming session on Thursday to try out the game for the first time, which I'm excited about. I swapped the pistol on the commissar out for a Mk3 one as I butchered the gun barrel when i was trying to drill it out. The ogryn has quite a different look to the forge world ones, but I really like it. I thought about attempting to sculpt a hood to make him match, but decided against it. I may eventually pick up a box of bullgryns and convert them.

NRgYm29_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

I also purchased a small lightbox, with a usb powered LED strip on the front. Here are a few pics of the first completed squad of renegades.

pC4Muvo_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

nvnef2u_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

39Xj7L1_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

gb52Oj7_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

I've started coming up with ideas for a trench themed display board for the army as well. Imperial armour modelling masterclass vol 1 has certainly been an inspiration for me in creating this army, particularly the renegade medusa. Displaying this army (when its eventually completed) on a diorama similar to the earthshaker position from that book would be awesome. Watch this space!

Edited by lord gunthar

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Kolgrim. I think I might try and add a little more to the red OSL around the eyes, it doesn't look quite what I'd like it to yet.

I0L7DmA.jpg

Been playing around with some oil washes on the first basilisk, a mix of burnt umber and ivory black. I'm going to add a bit more wash to the rivets and try flicking a mix of rust pigment powder and umber wash similar to the technique in the imperial armour model masterclass books.

I've also started planning out my trench display board. I've ordered some 3d printed trench components, once they get here I'll get some more materials. I've never built any terrain before so it should be an interesting project.

Thanks Sagentus. It's a long way from completion, but trying to chip away at it every week.

Finished the first basilisk! I used a whole bunch of techniques I've never tried before and I'm reasonably happy with how it came out. I'm hoping this one won't stand out too much from the others ones with their darker camo.

x0kNQOw.jpg

AHPTk1W.jpg

1LUDeov.jpg

6lZ1dza.jpg

DQq38Z0.jpg

Next is going to be the first 3 ogryn berzerkers, and then maybe a hellhound?

Thanks War Angel. The sandbags are from Renedra. They look pretty good and are easy to use, but dont come out quite as nice as making them from green stuff.

Finished the first Ogryn berzerker. Took around 5 hours total so not too bad. I went a bit overboard with the OSL from the eyes which I'm not super happy with. I might try harder on the next one to place the shadows in the correct places before I paint the eyes, and to thin my paint further to desaturate the red. Otherwise I'm pretty happy with it.

ZysidgN.jpg

4bLHLTV.jpg

DAJlsCb.jpg

9cn52p0.jpg

Aiming for 2 more berzerkers, then I'll base the 3. After that I'll start a hellhound.

Any thoughts on the camo scheme for the finished basilisk. It seemed too bright before I weathered it, but now I'm actually fairly happy with it. On the fence whether to change it to be darker or not.

One thing I'm discovering as I paint this army is how valuable an airbrush would be to get some nice blended base coats. Its definitely on my radar to pick one up.

• 3 weeks later...

I recieved my 3d printed trenches for building a display board, structurally they came out really nice but the lined texture is pretty noticeable. I started to sand and clean some of them which has definitely helped. Going to pick up some filler and stone-textured spray paint at my local, with some MDF, foam and other basic materials I'll need to build it. If I cant find any adequate stone-textured spray I might paint the 'concrete' sections with citadels astrogranite texture paint and seal it with varnish.

zuuzDOA.jpg

Q3vaIU1.jpg

N19SYIn.jpg

JgYmanc.jpg

dlss7e6.jpg

Pictures above show the rough layout I'll be aiming for. Itll take a bit of cutting and filling to get some nice geometry on the corners, and I might put some filler under the trenches too so they aren't perfectly flat. Having never really built or painted terrain before, this should be an interesting and challenging project. Cant lose too much focus on the army, not much point in a display board without something to put on it!

I'll update you on the minis I've been painting in a few days.