Axioms of Victory: Unconventional RG Strategies

GreyCrow

Yeah I totally agree with you on the midfield issue and I intend to include those thoughts in my feedback mail for GW once I tested the beta rule a bit (tho I already have a pretty good picture how things will go anyway)

Melee is not the only problem. Once you are this close you are also in rapid fire range of the opponents shooty units and in range of their close ranged weapons.

Edited by sfPanzer

Using the axioms ideals I really want to load up a LRC with terminators and race it forward to whatever part of the board I want. Dump everything out and unload a ton of shots. That's a huge distraction unit that will soak up a lot of fire power while the tacticals pick off targets of opportunity in the backfield and claim objectives.

I figured I would do some points breakdowns of Cost-Per-Shot, per unit, with the new Bolter Beta Rule, with a couple of "rules" for a more-accurate comparison - 1) Kept it to non-vehicles, 2) Avoided units that have more than one armament, as this skews the results, 3) Tried to stick with BS 3+, Sv 3+ marine units.

Also note: In instances where a Sergeant is allowed up-jumped armament, I took a min-sized squad optimally equipped (Storm Bolter), and then regardless, it was Cost/Total Unit Shots = Cost Per Shot. The second section breaks the convention mentioned above to give context.

5.58 - Tactical Squad

4.75 - Scout Squad

4.50 - Company Veterans (Storm Shield + Storm Bolter)

4.00 - Company Veterans (Storm Bolter Only)

4.75 - Company Veterans on Bikes (Storm Bolter Only)

5.00 - Company Veterans on Bikes (Storm Shield + Storm Bolter)

4.44 - Bike Squad

4.44 - Scout Bikers

3.55 - Scout Bikers (In Shotgun Range)

3.89 - Boltstorm Aggressors (Single Tap)

1.95 - Boltstorm Aggressors (Double Tap)

8.50 - Intercessors (R:30", AP:-1)

8.00 - Sternguard (Special Issue Boltgun)

8.25 - Tactical Terminators (Power Fist + Storm Bolter)

5.96 - Redemptor Dread (Onslaught Loadout, valuing all shots equally - 26)

3.88 - Centurion Devastators (Heavy Bolter + Hurricane Bolter, valuing all shots equally - 54)

6.65 - Land Raider Crusader (Hurricane Bolters, Twin Assault Cannon, Storm Bolter, valuing all shots equally - 40)

So what you're saying is I need some Aggressors... is that right?

Seriously though great math hammer.

I looked up the profiles for GW prime flyers since I don't have any and all of their weapons are HEAVY so they don't benefit at all from this.

So what you're saying is I need some Aggressors... is that right?

Seriously though great math hammer.

I looked up the profiles for GW prime flyers since I don't have any and all of their weapons are HEAVY so they don't benefit at all from this.

Aggressors indeed!

Other realizations this math-hammer brought me: Dakka Cents are better than expected (with this analysis). The Redemptor looks great under this light. Company Veterans look very solid for this sort of lead-farming approach (especially on Bikes)

re company veterans in reference to the vigilus stratagems or am I missing something?

More just along the lines of the output against the durability. They have a huge threat range (38"). They have 2 wounds. They have a 3++. If you want a unit that can kite and punish hordes, these guys do it quite well.

Sadly my bolt storm gauntlets are assault and 6” shorter than storm bolters

Indeed. That being said, its not like the gauntlets needed a buff, they are already the best priced output in the codex, for that quality/quantity of fire.

• 2 weeks later...

Using the axioms ideals I really want to load up a LRC with terminators and race it forward to whatever part of the board I want. Dump everything out and unload a ton of shots. That's a huge distraction unit that will soak up a lot of fire power while the tacticals pick off targets of opportunity in the backfield and claim objectives.

This is definitely worth it.

I did the same trick with a Repulsor and 10 Reivers for the exact same purpose. Put pressure on infantry, kill off a few units that were out font position and force the enemy to bring his counters to deal with this.

Works fantastic!

The only place where you have to be careful is try to make it as hard for the enemy to deal with it, rather than rush and soak up all the damage.

It’s a tanky build, so it benefits even more from survival tactical play!

Further analysis and play test has shown me further insights that will be useful for you guys.

500pts worth of units, played together in supporting fire range, is about the point where the investment becomes efficient.

Example : 500 pts of Scouts gives you about 40-45 models. That’s quite a massive distraction and an early objective grab!

500pts of Assault Marines is about 30 models. Dropping them behind cover and having them target the same units is both hard to deal with and quite a lot of pressure on infantry.

I know spam may be boring and quite an investment. Given the ruleset of 40k though, and given how beautiful this looks on the table, I think this is totally worth it.

Second insight :

I don’t think Marines can deal effectively with all threats, especially véhicule spam.

But what Marines do is excel at putting pressure. With significant threats to the infantry and choosing where we fight, we can make decisions for the enemy.

It’s a bit like Chaos play, except you put pressure with range rather than pure melee.

If we force the enemy’s hand, and make sure he deploys his counter units in a way that is advantageous to us, then we get a headstart.

In that framework, distractions work very well.

Try for one game a build where you aim for total infantry superiority to play on objectives. Use your units to put threats on the enemy infantry while making them hard to deal with.

Even if that means avoiding fights, there is value in a Damocles sword.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.frontlinegaming.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/0970142b24dce630604a2789f121bfee.jpg

I'm going to wait until Wave 2 of the Primaris rules are released but I can really see building list in the future with 85/170 and a couple CP held in reserve. 

I've never been comfortable with my list ignoring the psychic phase up til now. With the new Vanguard Librarians and possibility to add a Culexus I'm hoping for some real competitive possibilities. Being able to pick between the four seems to good to not take a deep look into. 

Just wish the models weren't so damn dark and grim ;)

I'm thinking one (maybe two) Vindicare, one Culexus, and an Eversor. Vindy was always my favorite but hoping rules for the Eliminators are good enough I might just need one for purpose of cool. The other assassin models don't grab me the same way especially Callidus, meh. Honestly I'l be looking for conversion ideas for each of them, so if anyone sees some give me a ping please :)

TWH

Just looking at that mini a bit closer

It says its 32mm scale which is not what 40k is... its slightly larger

You might wanna see some comparisons first before finding out the assassin is Gravis armour sized... :ermm:

thewarriorhunter @ You rock my man. Those are exactly what I remember seeing a while back. I'd forgotten the site.

Duz @ I'll let you know .... I just purchased the counts as Vindicare and Culexus. Amusingly they have a new Vindicare coming out in March perched on top of  column. I'll probably model mine in a similar manner with GW scenery.

Duz @ I'll let you know .... I just purchased the counts as Vindicare and Culexus. Amusingly they have a new Vindicare coming out in March perched on top of column. I'll probably model mine in a similar manner with GW scenery.

Awesome curious to see apparently there aren't too many alternate options out there

Do you have a link for this new one?

Sweet, please post some photos for scale comparison. I'm not a fan of the GW vindicare and if I ever get around to adding an assassin I'll probably consider this one. I also like the knives on the leg because that fulfills my lore-role for each marine having their own sicai that they fashioned after initiation into the brotherhood of the Spectra Sicarii.