Zhiv does Legio Astorum and Legio Mordaxis.

Zhiv

It depends. It can be argued that most people won’t notice a difference between tap water and distilled water. Some of the factors that can influence this are your local water quality, painting technique, and whether you are aiming for table top or golden demon level.

Hard water (minerals), lots of additives (chemicals), or an acidic pH balance could have an effect on paint flow, pigment granulation, chalkiness, and color in theory. If you store a wet palette or mix water with paint in a bottle then there’s also a potential that bacteria could start to form from crud in the tap water. If you’re not experiencing oddness when thinning with water the likelihood increases that any differences will be slight at best.

I prefer to use a medium and/or flow enhancer instead of water, but I also use a lot of washes and glazes normally and worry about binding properties being affected too much by water.

Note: one exception to all the above would be if you are using an airbrush. I would always recommend using distilled water with an airbrush, if you use water, just to avoid the possibility of mineral deposits.

GW released its own war-ter a couple of years ago. You might be able to find some on ebay still. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ9w9J7gfJI

Personally I use normal water for thinning (which is essential) and Lahmian Medium for blending. Lahmian Medium is fantastic stuff - will change your painting forever.

GW released its own war-ter a couple of years ago. You might be able to find some on ebay still.

Personally I use normal water for thinning (which is essential) and Lahmian Medium for blending. Lahmian Medium is fantastic stuff - will change your painting forever.

Can't tell if attempting a wind up or serious.

The date of that video is telling

Edited by blackbabyjesus

• 1 month later...

I'll never know how you guys are getting such opaque yellows...

Army Warpainter matt white (rattlecan) -> Army Warpainter demonic yellow (rattlecan) -> army warpainter demonic yellow (pot and brush).   Slow process... as both the white and the yellow rattlecans suck.  So you have to be really careful to not to losr details. 

Speaking of white why didn't you block in any white panels like on your last Reaver? I thought it was a really nice touch to the Astorum scheme.  

Because I started painting this guy before I got the masking tape!  And then I over-sprayed one leg panel and the small chest panel.   :whistling:  So I had to wait to get some safe paint removing material. :blush.:   

Now, I have 3 reavers and 2 warhounds unpainted... and I have titan battlegroup on the way.  They will for my traitor legion... as soon as I can decide on one.

Aww, oh well.  You could just stipple on some white like the blue is chipping to reveal the coat underneath, I thought white was a really nice unexpected touch the standard scheme given how popular Astorum is right now.

• 7 months later...

Well, it has been a while, hasn't it.  GW finally released the transfers! 

UPmAOIE.png

Here we have Fulgor Aurorae 'Glory of Daybreak' an ancient machine known for its bellicose nature.

bDbxlii.png

And here we have Canis Audens 'Brave Hound'.  The personal heraldry of this titan represents the union between the Lucius and the cult mechanicus. 

PePOu12.png

The new transfers are pretty snippy!

VMI3wE8.png

IU0ItIm.png

House Idrax also got some reinforcements. 

wXKvFoZ.png

Another knightly house is born.  The House Snek (working title) marches to war. 

gTbucbD.png

• 2 weeks later...

Okay let’s talk about this, I just stripped an orange Questoris because it was coming out poorly. Jokero orange is pretty crap, I’d be tempted to use Averland instead of Jokero again. None of the GW oranges looked good over it so I used an expensive little tube of Golden brand orange that, while intense, covered way worse than I expected. I had a hard time getting it smooth even with medium!

What did you end up using? That looks bright and opaque.

Edited by Fajita Fan