Fire Warriors on 32mm bases?

H311fi5h

Has anyone done this?

I'm planning to start collecting Tau. However I don't want to rush this army like I did my other armies. I'm not a great painter, but I do enjoy creating base designs so I want to do something more elaborate for this army. But 25mm isn't much space to work with.

Do you think the models will look lost one the large base? Do you think people will have a problem with this because it may create an advantage in battle?

They are your models but I wouldn't do it. Fire Warrior are human sized. Actually they're supposed to be even shorter than humans. Marines, Orks and Stealth Suits look great on 32mm bases because they are more bulky and superhuman sized but Fire Warriors aren't.

People probably won't have a problem with it most of the time but it sure would be a bit weird. Again, in the end they are your models and it's completely up to you what you're going to do with it. Especially since there are no official rules for base sizes currently.

I probably would expand the base sizes from 25mm to 32mm for base fire warriors, but for officers and in particular Pathfinders I think you'd have an awesome case to do exactly that by really making the bases up in neat elaborate ways.  Gotta make the head honchos head and shoulders above the others! I hear it's standard operating procedure for leaders to stand on top of the largest objects they can find. 

I would not do this as you will have people arguing that your modeling for advantage.   You are putting the models on a larger base affects how they are on table and how they are affected by close combat.  If you want to do something like this use the 25 mil base and use the base designs on the battle suits as they will look better with detailed bases over the rank and file.

Can anyone cite the rule on “modeling for advantage”? I see that come up, but what’s the actual game rule?

Larger base sizes have both benefits and drawbacks, and for Fire Warriors, it may not be that much of a benefit, could be more drawback than anything, since there is actually more space to engage Fire Warriors in CC, and they aren’t very good at it, etc.

I thought somewhere there was a rule about modeling the minis on the bases they came with. So that means older minis on 25mm are still legal even though some have gone to 32mm.

I have chaos spawn that came with 40mm bases and I think the new ones have 50mm.

I can use mine with 40mm.

I don't remember anything about using minis on bases they never came with I.E. fire warriors on 32mm.

I'm on my phone and can't find the reference.

I thought somewhere there was a rule about modeling the minis on the bases they came with. So that means older minis on 25mm are still legal even though some have gone to 32mm.

Negative, just did a full search of the BRB, and there is no rule specifying what base you must, or even can, use on a figure - maybe it was in previous rules sets, but it doesn't appear in 8th. There is also nothing in the rulebook about "modeling for advantage" that I can find.

Now, I haven't searched any FAQs at this time, so maybe someone can find the reference in those?

Edit: Just searched the latest FAQs for the game (Big 1 & Big 2), as well as the BRB Errata document, and neither has a reference to "model(ing) for advantage" or requirements for bases for models.

For reference, I searched for the following terms in the docs: base, model, advantage

I have always felt that if someone wants to have a serious conversation about "modeling for advantage" on one of your minis, you immediately have a significant amount of scrutiny that must be applied to every single phase and measurement of a game when that person is doing anything, to the point where I hear the phrase and ask the person if they'd like to just call the game there. I have personally never had a good experience gaming with someone that wants to start using terms like that. After all, you could legitimately argue that it's "modeling for advantage" to modify the unit's bases in any way - the extra mm or two from sand basing could give you an advantage in some obscure cover situation, while cork on the bases definitely alters the shape, could help obscure models or allow them to shoot when they wouldn't have been able to otherwise, climb up to a terrain location out of reach of models without the extra height, etc...

After all, this is a miniatures war game that uses "true Line of Sight" where the producer of the game actually sells basing kits designed to elevate them, enlarge the base size, etc. After all, GW employees have said that the game isn't intended to be a simulation, and they have added in a ton of abstraction in this edition. Coupled with TLoS, the game has a lot more things to worry about than modeling for advantage. :lol:

Personally, I wouldn't put Fire Warriors on 32mm bases, I agree with the idea that they are "human sized" and so fit most appropriately on 25mm bases for the game - that said, if you have some really cool basing ideas, those would be more important and of interest to me.

I have chaos spawn that came with 40mm bases and I think the new ones have 50mm.

I can use mine with 40mm.

I don't remember anything about using minis on bases they never came with I.E. fire warriors on 32mm.

On the one hand, all my crisis suits have the 40mm bases. On the other hand, the old, slightly taller than a old space marine sized wraithguard come on 25mm. That is NOT cool at all. But I'm biased.

Ahh modeling for advantage: my best remembered example is from 7th edition. True LOS and wings/guns/antenna/gubbinz don't count.

Daemon prince wrapped up in his own wings Dracula-cape style. Untargettable. Doesn't take a lot of scrutiny to squash that kind of Hak...

Archived