Barners SW Primaris Progress

sbarnby71

I wanted to keep a record of my progress into all things Primaris.  When they first came out I was not a fan, until the Dreadnought and Reivers came along, now I'm liking them.

I don't play 40K, so my models will never be game applicable, I just love to build and paint so don't worry if you see frost weapons or things like that. :-)

So here's what I have so far, some of you might recognise this fella:

Redemptor 87

Redemptor 87

Redemptor 91

Redemptor 88

Next up I got the 3 basic Primaris that came with issue one of Conquest.  When I started converting I didn't want to go all out like I did with the Dreadnought as I wanted to keep it that they were not steeped in history, so not as many wolf pelts, tokens etc, but I think that will change as I make more of them as I prefer the size to the old models.

This one is a lieutenant (Wulfen axe, head from the new upgrade sprue and a wolf pelt):

Lieutenant1 3

Lieutenant1 2

Lieutenant1 1

Haldor Icepelt came next - as I've said before not a fan of the head on this guy, so a swap with a Shapeways head and a shoulder pad from Spellcrow:

Battle Leader 1

Battle Leader1 3

Battle Leader 1 2

Another lieutenant (swapped the pistol for a frost axe from Spellcrow, head from the upgrade pack wolf tail & pelt):

Lieutenant2 1

Lieutenant2 2

Have a few more in progress, but need to sort the pictures.

Hope you like.

Edited by sbarnby71

Excellent work on the Redemptor. Haldor Icepelt looks great, but where'd he get that lion pelt? From a Dark Angels Champion he defeated in a duel?

I figured he knocked a Dark Angel Champ on his a$$ and took the pelt for good measure. :biggrin.:

Edited by sbarnby71

Did he dye the lion pelt to reduce the risk of becoming a victim of misidentification and subsequent "friendly fire"? (No sane and knowledgeable human can say, "The Dark Angels are not our enemies; they will never knowingly attack loyal servants of the Emperor.") Hell, if I ever add a lion pelt to an Adepta Sororitas model, I think it should be dyed pink, to really rub it in the Black Legion wannabes' faces. Edited by Bjorn Firewalker

Started work on another battle leader based on Haldor, I want this guy to have a jump pack and be leaping from a rock.

First step was to change out the axe:

Battle Leader 2 1

Removed the axe from above the hand, added this amazing chain-sword from Conversion World and added some fetishes from the SW Power Sword.

Now I see it in pictures I can see I'm not 100% centred with the sword to the grip, needs moving a mill or so over.

Next remove the knife so it does not look like an exact copy of my other Haldor:

Battle Leader 2 3

Battle Leader 2 2

Next step will be to add this assault shield I got from Pop Goes the Monkey:

Redemptor 21a

Will have to build an arm to scale as I don't have a lot of spare Primaris arms lying around.

Hope to get that done tonight and hopefully the jet pack, which will be single engine version, once it's had a wolf skull or 7 added to it.

Edited by sbarnby71

Looks awesome! Love that weapon. Whose head is he getting?

Thanks man!  I've been itching to use this sword for months now, the teeth on it are actual teeth\claws, the detail is amazing. 

Not sure on the head yet, I'm leaning towards a Reiver Learing-Skull helmet or a bare-headed all out screaming face of rage.  Will probably try a few out tonight and take some pics.

Wow, excellent work man. Really love your Redemptor. If you don't mind, I will use some of your ideas to "wolfify" by redemptor in future.

As for your battle leader, I think the regular Haldor head. He is snarling enough to be awesome, unlike the show offs from Ultramar

Wow, excellent work man. Really love your Redemptor. If you don't mind, I will use some of your ideas to "wolfify" by redemptor in future.

As for your battle leader, I think the regular Haldor head. He is snarling enough to be awesome, unlike the show offs from Ultramar

Thanks man. :-)  And yeah go for it on using some ideas, as they say Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

I'm still not 100% on the head yet, tried a few last night (pictures to follow).

Started on the jet pack:

Battle Leader 2 4

Next up I needed an arm for the assault shield and as there are not a lot Primaris arms yet, I went for an standard SM arm.  Opted for a Spellcrow shoulder pad for the left side:

Battle Leader 2 5

Battle Leader 2 6

Battle Leader 2 7

Battle Leader 2 8

Now to try out some heads:

Battle Leader 2 9

Battle Leader 2 10

Battle Leader 2 11

This is my fav head so far, I made it by cutting down the Mohawk on SW head and a bit of adjusting with green stuff:

Battle Leader 2 12

Battle Leader 2 13

Battle Leader 2 14

You can really see the amazing teeth on sword in these shots, I just love how brutal it looks.

I Adjusted the position of the sword to the grip (because I snapped it off by accident).  Overall I'm liking the pose, it's what I had in my head.

I think the head decision might be left until I've finished painting him up.

Edited by sbarnby71

Yea I don’t think there’s a bad choice in the bunch. That said I’m leaning away from that reiver head, I just couldn’t bring myself to have a helmeted hero lol.

I'm not a fan of helmets, I just find them a pain to paint - but if I had to go helmet, it would be the Reiver... might dig out one of the face-mask Reiver heads and give that a go

Actually helmet is more easier to paint than bare heands i feel. What about those wolf helms in the upgrade pack, or the Grey Hunter? Those are fairly ornate and fierce.

Still, for a Space Wolf, nothing beats bare heads.

I usually end up messing up the lenses, then get annoyed, do them again and again - but I do love bare heads, which does not make sense as the 1k-Sons enjoyed head shot after head shot.  Yeah will see how the Wolf Helm looks, but I tend to use that when I make Wolf Priests.  I feel like going with a re-breather mask as that ties in with him coming in from above.

I still like Halvar's original head, the only Primaris marine who actually looks like he wants to kill something as opposed to all the posers from Ultramar. 

But you're right, the bare heads with rebreathers look fairly good too. Can get them from tactical marine, Space Marine Commander or the Primaris intercessor box I think.

I still like Halvar's original head, the only Primaris marine who actually looks like he wants to kill something as opposed to all the posers from Ultramar. 

But you're right, the bare heads with rebreathers look fairly good too. Can get them from tactical marine, Space Marine Commander or the Primaris intercessor box I think.

I know this won't go down well, but I actually like the Blood Angels rebreather heads, ok yes they mostly have some floppy "bangs" at the front, but with a top-knot added, they could work.

I know this won't go down well, but I actually like the Blood Angels rebreather heads, ok yes they mostly have some floppy "bangs" at the front, but with a top-knot added, they could work.

No need to worry, at least Team Edward still look like they want to kill something while looking fabulous at it. And yeah, easily fixed with a top knot or even a side hair braid.

Sorry, for some reason, I'm really displeased with the current Primaris HQ line who all like they are posing for a portrait rather than prosecuting a war. And although the Primaris Captain can take a power fist, the only model that can do so is a Store Anniversary model. Everyone else is stuck with a lousy model posing with a power sword or stalker bolter.

No need to worry, at least Team Edward still look like they want to kill something while looking fabulous at it. And yeah, easily fixed with a top knot or even a side hair braid.

Sorry, for some reason, I'm really displeased with the current Primaris HQ line who all like they are posing for a portrait rather than prosecuting a war. And although the Primaris Captain can take a power fist, the only model that can do so is a Store Anniversary model. Everyone else is stuck with a lousy model posing with a power sword or stalker bolter.

Totally agree on the HQ posing, it's all very I can win this battle by striking the right pose - "Blue-Steel" or doing the "I have the Power" He-Man pose.  I sat down with the Intercessors box last night and though what will be the next guy, I want an axe in one hand and bolter in the other and there is so little to work with once the Lieutenant has gone.  I can see me relying on normal SM arms to get the poses I want.

When Haldor came my first thougths were, great a decent pose, pure action, then I though, this is just a slight re-work of Geigor Fell-Hand, which was just another variation on guy we got in Dreen Redblade. 

I think over the year we've been spoilt with the massive range of figures, when I painted my 1st dudes (about 30 years ago!) all you had was the off yellow plastic marines that looked they were all squatting on the toilet but I loved building them and paitning them up.  These days I just love to convert/kitbash nothing gets made stock, so I'd love some varity in the pieces for Pirmaris, but I want them now, because I've never grown up and I never will.

Edited by sbarnby71

Just about finished the 3 Primaris troops I got with the Conquest mag, so here they are.

First up is newbie recruit, very little SW about him and he's so young he's not even grown a beard yet!

Trooper1 1

Trooper1 2

Next up is the stock trooper, little bit more SW about him, but not over the top:

Trooper2 1

Then a group shot of the Troopers and their pack leader:

Troopers1

Troopers2

Will try and get some better pics once they have been based.

Edited by sbarnby71

Your models look promising, and are well-painted. How will you decorate their bases? (I don't consider a model "done" until it's fully painted and decaled- and with a decorated base, if applicable.)

I've been basing my models recently with a mixture of a purple(ish) slate with a light dry-brush of white, then some of the GW fake snow or using the rune roller you can get from GreenStuff World to make it look like a temple floor, so it with be a mixture of that.  I tend to use the bigger slate for characters to give them a little more height (I don't want everyone to have a rock to stand on).

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I got bored basing my first 3 Primaris and started to think how one of the Reiver models has a similar pose to Haldor, so I started on this Reiver Pack Master:

Reiver Pack Master 1 1

Progress so far - skull and knives removed from chest-plate and replaced by wolf talisman necklace, Wulfen shoulder decoration/plate used as a belt buckle, old SW Wolf Pelt cut down and applied to the back.

Hoping to get a picture of him tooled-up tonight.