Barners SW Primaris Progress

sbarnby71

Had a play around with the Judiciar - I wanted to go with the idea of an axe over the shoulder, but didn't want the Wulfen axe that most have been favouring, so I got a few options out to see what looked like it could be wielded single handily:

Judiciar 1

I did think about going for more of a Wolf Priest look, so the 2nd and 3rd did appeal, but I went for option 1 (wanted to use this axe for ages):

Judiciar 2

Head from Puppets War.
Removed the boxy thingy on the left hip and added a Diamond from the Primaris upgrade kit.
Wolf tail on the opposite hip.
Wulfen disc on the belt after removing the existing skull.
Removed the skull from the right knee and added a cast of a Wolf Skull.
Final part was I clipped down the Wolf necklace from an old SW Torso (that took so long), but I think it was worth the effort, just need to extend the strap around the neck with some green-stuff. 

My plan is to have a wolf at his side, but after some tests and seeing other examples of them on a chain, I thought about how my dog walks with me, head angled towards me, by my side, so I wanted that look of a wolf walking with his master, not the Judiciar having to hold back a wild beast.

Barnby, it's not the axe I'd have gone with, but I can see some story concept behind it!

Really like the tweaks you've made (although I personally still can't get behind the stylish shin armor), it's properly Wolf'd him up, and the head is really good.

Your details about the wolf companion sound spot on, looking forward to see how you style him out!

• 4 weeks later...

Just got my delivery of Viking Heads &  Helmets from Puppetswar, so took some pics for size comparisons on an Assault Intercessor and a Reiver:

20200923 110836

20200923 110821

20200923 110806

20200923 110749

20200923 110734

20200923 110717

20200923 110700

20200923 110640

Although they look a similar size to a Reiver head, they seem smaller to me, I think maybe it's the thickness of the neck.  They work better on the Reiver body.  Will get one of each kind painted up soon.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finished these guys a few months back but didn't get round to taking any pics, so here are my Breachers:

First guy with a Deathwatch shotgun with added wolf tail and diamond:

Breacher1 1

Breacher1 2

Breacher1 3

Breacher1 4

Breacher1 5

Next I used the pistol holding troops from the Shadowspear boxset, swapped the pistol for a Reiver Heavy Pistol, removed the shoulder slung bolter and added a shield from maxmini (shame they have gone) and a dwarf axe and wolf tail added:

Breacher2 1

Breacher2 2

Breacher2 3

Breacher2 4

Breacher2 5

Next has a Volkite charger swap for the pistol, same shield with a screaming skull added and replaced the wolf teeth with a Purity Seal, he has a Wulfen backpack and added the ammo clip back into his bolter, I like the look of them using the slit in the shield to sight down the pistols:

Breacher3 1

Breacher3 2

Breacher3 3

Breacher3 4

Breacher3 5

Edited by sbarnby71

• 1 month later...

Been feeling a bit bogged down with the McFarlane Intercessor at the moment - starting to wonder why I started it as I hate painting tanks and things as they are too big, but hey I will finish him.

So to keep me sane I started look at normal sized assault intercessors, my last batch ended up being more shooty than stabby, so I needed to focus on melee weapons.  I have the new Ragnor model and his pose kinda inspired this:

Assault6 1

Assault6 2

Assault6 3

The hand is not as grabby as I'd want, but it's close.

I knew I wanted to swap out the standard chainsword for either the SW Upgrade sprue or the amazing one from Conversion World.  I also wanted some shields in this unit, so then this sort of idea jumped out to me:

Assault6 4

Assault6 5

Assault6 6

Now I'm not sure if this looks cool or not, in my head he's about to use his shield to boost his jump!  But then the other half of my brain say's he looks like how a skateboarder is as they drop their board to ride it - is that a bad thing, maybe not, could be using the shield as sledge to ride through the snow :wink:

I wanted a reverse grip on the chainsword, so this is what I ended up with (using the SW Upgrade sprue and I think the pommel from the Judicar sword):

Assault6 7

I might still re-make the first guy as I have enough parts from the kits I bought as I do like the first pose.

Edited by sbarnby71

I went ahead and re-made the first pose as well, this time I removed the Aquila from the chest, will either add Reiver Grenades or some wolf skull thing.  Remove the chainsword and went with a generic sword from Conversion World, I like the length and sleek look, will most likely add some very small wold skulls near the hilt of the blade:

Assault7 1

Assault7 2

The Wolf Guard customization is well done. As for posing, I think a sword with a traditional grip is best; then the Wolf Guard looks like a trained and experienced swordsman, preparing to thrust his blade into his opponent's vitals, NOT like some poser playing around (what the reverse grip will look like, as using it negates a sword's reach advantage).

Due to new restrictions in the UK, I got some serious modding time in, so here we go:

I kept the backhand chainsword sweep on this guy:

Assault6 8

Assault6 9

Assault6 10

Next I started on a more static pose, parts run down -
Intercessor Body
Aquila removed from the chest
Reiver grenades added
Shield and head from Puppets War
Wolf Pelt mould taken from Spellcrow
Spear is made using the same bits I've done on other kits:

Assault8 2

Assault8 3

Assault8 4

Then after a few days of playing around, I reworked the figure -
Shield came from Ebay (large Norse Shields) with a Tyranid Warrior Head attached and added 3 x 1mm ball bearings to look like it's riveted
Head is from the Judicar with a Sisters of Silence pony-tail added
Cloak is from the old Chaos Warriors
I then drilled holes and added 1mm ball bearings to create studs on the lower left leg:

Assault9 1

Assault8 5

Assault8 6

Assault8 7

Next guy was just trying to find something that fitted the slightly leant back pose this Intercessor had.  Parts list is:

Remove Aquil and added Reiver Grenades

Grey Knights TDA arm with Bolter with wolf Skull added onto

Puppets War Norse TDA shoulder pad

Wolf pelt to the groin

Sword is from Stormcast Eternals with wolf skulls added

Head is the new Techno Viking Head from Puppets War

Base is made from a re-worked Genestealer from the last Space Hulk game:

Assault9 2

Assault9 4

Assault9 3

Assault9 5

Assault9 6

Assault9 7

Assault9 8

Assault9 10

Assault9 9

Head and arms have been bent and removed etc, so they fit as though it is gripping the base.  The head will go back on last so I can get the tongue hanging over his boot.

Edited by sbarnby71

Painted up the Genestealer for my base and wanted to have a crack at using Contrast Paints for a quick hit.  Base coat of Grey Seer, then used Fenrisian Grey on the armour plates and then Pink Horror for the soft bits.  When I use Contrast Paints I apply a gloss varnish before the Contrast layer goes on.  I then applied 2 heavy coats of Space Wolves Grey to the armour and a single coat to the soft bits and made sure it didn't pool over the Pink.  I think it worked quite well, I might even start painting Tyranids this year!

Assault9 11

The base looks promising. As the Tyranid combat form is missing its head, may I presume the Space Wolf took it as a trophy, to celebrate his victory?

Thanks!  So I took the head off so I could re-position it with it's tongue flopped over the Marine's boot, but I'm also maybe thinking of him holding the severed head by it's tongue while he's firing the wrist mounted storm bolter

Wow your work is awesome.  The attention to detail is amazing.  Having got rid of all my Space wolves and bit i need to start collection some basics again to make molds like you have for pets for the new necron/SM marine starter box set i have got.  Like you i dont really play.  However i bought this starter set to play with my kids.  I thought i would teach them as i learnt.